Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman email responses

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Leatherman email responses
on: July 18, 2018, 06:57:27 AM
Hi!! Does everyone have good experience with the leatherman warranty services? I am having some problems lately. I sent in 2 tools and they emailed me saying they had received it on the 21st Jun but they have not replied since. I have written in at least 5 or 6 times since then to ask them but they did not reply to them at all. I did sent in a few tools previously but never had any problems before and they were excellent in the warranty and responses... I really have no idea what is going on this time.. Anyone here knows anyone in there personally that can help?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Leatherman email responses
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:20:40 AM
Everytime I send a tool to them, I don't get a repaired/replaced tool back for 3-6 weeks.
Remember,  they handle tens of thousands of returns a year, so they probably don't address the warranty claims as personally as we would like. :-[
But, they do take care of things eventually. :tu:

Now, if you are asking them a lot of specific questions or requesting other things(like a customized tool)(not saying you are. Just going over possibilities), the people answering emails may not understand what you are conveying. Te email filters may be dropping the emails with certain keywords or questions. I don't imagine the customer service agents know a lot about MTs. :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:22:21 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:02:34 AM
Everytime I send a tool to them, I don't get a repaired/replaced tool back for 3-6 weeks.
Remember,  they handle tens of thousands of returns a year, so they probably don't address the warranty claims as personally as we would like. :-[
But, they do take care of things eventually. :tu:

Now, if you are asking them a lot of specific questions or requesting other things(like a customized tool)(not saying you are. Just going over possibilities), the people answering emails may not understand what you are conveying. Te email filters may be dropping the emails with certain keywords or questions. I don't imagine the customer service agents know a lot about MTs. :ahhh

I really hope so.. So far, when I send in something, it get accessed and returned in about a week. Maybe they had been too nice with me. But the problem is the many emails I had sent to them. I only asked about the status and they are simply ignoring me.....  :ahhh

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
I think that if I'd received 5 or 6 emails about a customer return that had only been in process for less than 4 weeks I'd be ignoring them. ;)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:55:22 AM
I think that if I'd received 5 or 6 emails about a customer return that had only been in process for less than 4 weeks I'd be ignoring them. ;)

Hope I am just paranoid..... Too pampered the last few times perhaps..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:46:27 PM
I imagine with the decline of factory QC, and the new plier head on the Plus Charges/Waves, they may be swamped in return requests. :ahhh

Good luck with getting your tools back, Sam! There really isn't an excuse for them not to inform you of the progress, but I can see how it may happen. :)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:27:54 PM by SteveC »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:20 PM
Keep us updated Sam :tu:
Hopefully you will hear back from them soon  :salute:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 04:29:36 PM
I imagine with the decline of factory QC, and the new plier head on the Plus Charges/Waves, they may be swamped in return requests. :ahhh

Good luck with getting your tools back, Sam! There really isn't an excuse for them not to inform you of the progress, but I can see how it may happen. :)

Sorry edited your post by mistake when I meant to quote it   :facepalm:

What makes you say that they are swamped by returns because of the new plier head ?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 04:50:47 PM

What makes you say that they are swamped by returns because of the new plier head ?

+1. That statement made me curious too, as I can dimly see something "plus" in my future  ;)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:08:17 PM

Exactly my point. 1 or 2, they may have somehow missed it. I wouldn't have sent so many emails if they have replied. I think it's just basic courtesy from the customer service. But then again, my past experience are nothing short of wonderful. So.... Idk.. Let's see...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 08:40:36 PM
So, Steve and D_T, many people have stated criticisms about the Plus Charge and Plus Wave being poorly finished(compared to the non-replaceable cutter Wave) and the new plier head not being as strong (because of the cutter inserts and less structural steel in the pliers), with having said that, it is not my point to argue(I don't have. Plus model to examine).  ;)

I was just stating a hypothesis as a possible reason LM stopped responding to Sam's emails(being the thought they may, possibly, be overwhelmed with returns).  :tu:

For the record, I am all for you guys buying a Plus model Learherman.  :cheers:

Please do not let my hypothesis about LM's returns system and Sam's emails dissuade you in the least. :multi:

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:33:02 PM
for every email leatherman receive someone somewhere has to wait an extra 5 mins for his tool.

you've just cost somebody 30 mins sam :rant:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 01:27:09 AM
for every email leatherman receive someone somewhere has to wait an extra 5 mins for his tool.

No i didn't.. Cos they ignored all my mails..  :whistle:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 04:06:19 PM
So, Steve and D_T, many people have stated criticisms about the Plus Charge and Plus Wave being poorly finished(compared to the non-replaceable cutter Wave) and the new plier head not being as strong (because of the cutter inserts and less structural steel in the pliers), with having said that, it is not my point to argue(I don't have. Plus model to examine).  ;)

I was just stating a hypothesis as a possible reason LM stopped responding to Sam's emails(being the thought they may, possibly, be overwhelmed with returns).  :tu:

Please do not let my hypothesis about LM's returns system and Sam's emails dissuade you in the least. :multi:

The reason I asked is that there seems to be a lot of people claiming that the new plier design is weak but with no evidence to back it up. I thought maybe you had some first hand experience of that being true.   :cheers:

I haven't heard any first hand accounts of the new design breaking as of yet. So time will tell if all the speculation about it has merit or not.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 07:41:31 PM

The reason I asked is that there seems to be a lot of people claiming that the new plier design is weak but with no evidence to back it up. I thought maybe you had some first hand experience of that being true.   :cheers:

I haven't heard any first hand accounts of the new design breaking as of yet. So time will tell if all the speculation about it has merit or not.

I own two Wave +'s by now, one stainless and one BO version. 

I was so positively surprised by the fit and finish on my stainless Wave + that I wanted to see if I just got lucky, so I bought myself a BO Wave +, and guess what, that one is perfect as well, maybe I got lucky two times in a row ... I should probably buy a Charge + now ...  :D.

Can't comment on the new plier design, since I'm not a heavy plier user (why did I even buy a Wave +  :think:).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:55 PM

I have to agree with you here. There is no evidence of an issue with the pliers durability. I just keep reading a LOT of people saying stuff about it and problems with fit/finish. It has the appearance of being an issue.  :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 03:52:32 PM

I have returned a few tools over the years and unless something is wrong they never usually contact me so perhaps that is a good sign Sam :tu: Hopefully those tools have already been processed and back on their way to you :cheers:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 06:22:24 AM
since I'm not a heavy plier user (why did I even buy a Wave +  :think:).
:gimme: :gimme:
Top-Gear I'll make a sacrifice and put those pliers to the test if you want to send one my way. :pok: :pok: :mail:
 :rofl: :rofl:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 06:18:12 PM

I have returned a few tools over the years and unless something is wrong they never usually contact me so perhaps that is a good sign Sam :tu: Hopefully those tools have already been processed and back on their way to you :cheers:

Thanks Poncho!

Leatherman had replied to my email and will have my tools repaired. Long story short, there's some explanation and clarification that I need to do so the repair was on hold. Confidence restored.  :like: Leatherman is awesome. Their warranty program is unmatched in the US. You guys are extremely fortunate there.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 06:28:08 PM
Good news then! :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 07:02:15 AM
Good news then! :cheers:

:cheers: thanks!

Back to the strength of those pliers with replaceable cutters, I personally dun think that affects the strength of the pliers by much. Usually the breakages are near to the pivots. Normal pliers breaks the same. Unless the breakage is around the replaceable cutter area, I am not too convinced those types are more probe to breakage when compared to normal ones..

As everyone always says, MTs will never replace purpose made tools. Prolonged hard use are definitely going to break them. If one needs to cut fence/barb wire whole day long or knows that they need to tackle nasty bolts, I am quite sure they will be prepared with proper tools and not just turn up proudly with a MT in hand. Those replaceable cutters are excellent for cutting "softer" material. A normal shears type cutter will require occasional sharpening in order to cut copper wires. But theres just so many times that one can sharpen them before they are totally gone. That's where the real benefits of the replaceable cutters becomes apparent.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%