Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

taking SAKs on international flights

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
taking SAKs on international flights
on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:14 AM
In less than two weeks I'll be leaving for a three weeks vacation in the US. We're going to stay with family who live there and in the past weeks I had a couple of SAKs that I bought from US sellers sent to our family.

Now there's two ways of getting those SAKs back home: I can take them with me in the checked-in luggage on our flight back, or I can put them in a flat rate box and have them shipped home by mail.

Now those SAKs I bought were a bit expensive and/or collectible so I'm looking for the safest way to take them home.

What are your experiences?

At first I was thinking of simply taking them with me in the luggage, but yesterday I read on the german Victorinox Facebook group that someone took 8 SAKs with him to the US and when he got there, one was taken/stolen from his luggage. So now i'm rethinking taking them in my luggage. Does it happen often that stuff like SAKs/knives get taken out? Or is that really uncommon and was it just bad luck for the german guy on facebook?

I also noticed that with Delta it is possible to declare the value of your luggage, as some form of insurance. Would that be a meaningful option to prevent stuff form being taken, or would that only be flagging my belongings as being valuable to possible malicious people handling the luggage?
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Re: taking SAKs on international flights
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:10:04 AM

I read on the german Victorinox Facebook group that someone took 8 SAKs with him to the US and when he got there, one was taken/stolen from his luggage.

... was it just bad luck for the german guy on facebook?

I think he was lucky. A collector would have taken all eight.  :whistle:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:25:50 PM
If you do decide to post them home I strongly recommend that you package VERY securely and pay extra for tracking, insurance & signature required.  This seems to greatly increase the chances of your package going where it should, rather than being "lost" (ie stolen by some light-fingered miscreant).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:34:08 PM
Hmm, this is always so difficult, and I really don't think there's one perfect solution here.  For shipping watches I finally opened an account with Parcel Pro, which is a subsidiary of UPS and provides insurance on your shipment regardless of what carrier I use (USPS, FedEx, or UPS).  They have very stringent packaging requirements such as double-boxing, etc.  I've never had a problem with anything I've ever shipped, but I feel good knowing that the package is insured in a bullet-proof way. 

Just curious, Glenfiddich, what state will you be visiting?  I live in Michigan and there are huge Dutch communities on my side of the state.  :)

Myron

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:51:24 PM
Thanks for the replies so far!

Hmm, this is always so difficult, and I really don't think there's one perfect solution here.  For shipping watches I finally opened an account with Parcel Pro, which is a subsidiary of UPS and provides insurance on your shipment regardless of what carrier I use (USPS, FedEx, or UPS).  They have very stringent packaging requirements such as double-boxing, etc.  I've never had a problem with anything I've ever shipped, but I feel good knowing that the package is insured in a bullet-proof way. 

Just curious, Glenfiddich, what state will you be visiting?  I live in Michigan and there are huge Dutch communities on my side of the state.  :)

Myron

We are staying in Hilo, Hawaii. My cousin moved there a couple of years ago with her husband and daughter. They work at the university in Hilo. Hopefully they will stay there for a long time because it provides a great holiday address for the rest of the family  :angel: :ahhh

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 03:14:11 PM
When I've flown commercial in the past, I stuck my knives in a rolled up sock in the dirty laundry bag or in my shaving kit. Never had a problem.

But I have heard the rare story of bits and pieces going missing from luggage. It's hard to know how many of these stories are repeated tales or true. I think when TSA initially got up and running, their screening process wasn't all it could have been. So there may have been some opportunists working in baggage inspection. I don't think that's as much of an issues now.

Mail is pretty safe, but nothing is guaranteed their, either. If you go the mail route, be sure to get insurance and have receipts. Last time I had an issues with a missing parcel, the Postal Agent just shrugged and said, "there's nothing we can do once a package leaves the U.S."  And insurance without receipts is worthless.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:42:11 PM
If flying I pack mine in luggage. I spread them around to more than one piece of luggage and only take what I can afford to lose. So far no problem.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:13 PM
I've had SAKs taken out of my siutcases more than once, on trips from Italy to the US.
They were in the bag outer pocket. Since then I've hid them inside and had no problems.

I wonder who it is that is willing to risk their job for a 20$ SAK anyway!

Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 08:09:54 AM
Maybe I should hide the SAKs I take home in a bag with dirty laundry  :think:

^-- where the cat sits

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 11:02:00 AM
I hid them inside folded pants pockets. Never had one taken since.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:07:07 AM
No one ever seems to root carefully through dirty underwear for valuables.  :think: ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 11:28:18 AM
Hi,

We flew around in Europe in April. I had two SAK's with me and bought another three in Switzerland.

The first two always stayed in my shaving bag which I pack in the middle of my luggage. The other three was packed in their respective boxes rolled up in a towel with my shaving kit. All arrived safe and sound after every flight.

Cheers,

Pete

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 10:19:08 PM
First you have to realize that almost every package, suitcase and bag is being X-rayed when travelling by airplane. Security and/or Customs are looking for smuggling and dangerous goods.
Second, every bag or suitcase can be opened. The locks on your suitcases are designed in such a way that they always can be opened by Security/ Customs on airports. If you put your own padlock on a bag it will be forcefully cut and your luggage will be opened.

Security officials are concerned about flight safety/security. Customs is interested in contrabande (drugs, watches, cigarettes, expensive items), so that they can charge you fines, taxes or even send you to prison.
Luggage handling personnel will not have much time or opportunities to open luggage and looking for costly items, be it that a suitcase or bag falls on the ground and pops open. That is why you should always secure every bag or suitcase with an extra strap, or even two straps. Unfortunately it is still possible that your suitcases gets lost and never be found. especially when you travel to and from certain (almost) 'failed states'.
Most people probably won't recognize an expensive pocket knife or multi-tool, except  when you keep it in its original box together with its receipt. But sometimes there are Custom officials who are specialized in almost every item they can let you pay taxes on. If you are worried you can send the boxes separate, and the receipts also separate. You can also put some syrup on the blades to proof that the knives are "used" items.

Most secure way is sending your knives by insured, track & trace parcel. But as always, packages also disappear! And beware of import taxes.

Offline tim

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 10:09:00 AM
I've had a few things stolen from airline baggage, including a SAK.  Invariably the stolen item was in an outside pocket or at the top of the bag.  Frequently the stolen item was of no value to the thief, such as a battery charger or notebook.  It seems that any baggage thieves don't have much time to rummage, and with an ordinary luggage lock I've never had a problem.  Make your bag time-consuming to unpack and I think you'll be ok.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 12:56:47 AM
I do quite a lot of airline travelling - And always take SAKs and MTs in hold luggage - Sometimes several ! -  ;)
Never had any problems
Also had countless (usually ebay) packages sent over from the US - I am always too tight :twak: to go for the more expensive shiiping options (eg priority/insured etc) - And I have never had a package go missing !!   :o

Often if you  go more expensive the shipping cost is over half the price of the item!
Although a few times I have had reasonably expensive items shipped regular postage, and always been OK
Guess I have been very very lucky - given the stories you hear - and some ebay seller's reluctance to ship internationally/cheaply etc
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:58:05 AM by Huntsman »

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:15 AM
Thanks for all the useful suggestions and stories.

I guess it will be safe enough to take them in my luggage, as long as I keep them out of the outside pockets. I will put them in my pants pockets or with my shaving gear, something like that. And i'll make sure to put an extra strap around the suitcase!

^-- where the cat sits

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 07:28:52 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 08:12:24 PM

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00