Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loomo from Segway

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Loomo from Segway
on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:58 AM
I have been watching this for a while, and I am really fascinated with it:

Basically it combines a Star Wars like R2 unit (or as close as we can get so far) and a ride on Segway unit.  While this initial design may seem a bit limited, I am looking forward to where this concept will go in the future.  Even Luke Skywalker couldn't ride his droid!

I can see this think being very handy, and, at least compared to regular Segway pricing it seems quite cheap.  I can think of an awful lot of places where this machine could come in handy, especially for us with mobility issues, and not enough sense to stay home.  :P

Am I the only one that wants a Loomo?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Re: Loomo from Segway
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:20:09 PM
I think I would prefer an electric scooter myself. At least until the personal robot aspect of this gets advanced enough that it could actually manipulate its environment to my benefit. Like fetching me a cold one...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:03:06 PM
As someone who is disabled, keep in mind that if you have problems walking distances, you probably will not be that comfortable with standing for that amount time and/or the ankle control and balance required to control this thing. Just something to think about.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:22:55 PM
As someone who is disabled, keep in mind that if you have problems walking distances, you probably will not be that comfortable with standing for that amount time and/or the ankle control and balance required to control this thing. Just something to think about.

I think it wouldn't be all that hard to pimp this with a bar stool? It would also help with consumption of the beer your robot delivers to you!  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:24:20 PM by lister »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:15:47 PM
I searched the interwebs a bit and found that such self balancing unicycles exist. Now add two wheels and a pair of robotic arms under the seat, much better battery tech and quite a bit more advanced AI and I think I could be bothered to buy one. Though it would be a bit weird riding around the town sitting on the head of your robot...  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:22 PM
I am just excited because Loomo is (so far) the closest thing to the ultimate multitool.

Ok, so it doesn't have it's own welder or circular saw, but you can ride it, something Luke Skywalker wasn't able to do.  But, it is a step in the right direction IMHO.

As for the difficulty standing and riding it because of my mobility issues, you are absolutely right.  I have avoided things like hoverboards and Segways because I doubt that I have the level of ankle control necessary to ride these things.  I have been known to stand in the middle of a room, on perfectly even floors and suddenly lose my balance and fall over.  The average person doesn't realize how many corrections your feet instinctively make each second to ensure that you remain standing.  When some of those small movements don't work that well, and your weight starts to shift in that direction it can cause you to topple for apparently no reason.  I shudder to think of what it would look like if that happened at 10mph while riding one of these doohickeys.   :facepalm:

Still, I like the idea of personal robots that follow you around and help with day to day tasks, whether I can ride them or not.  Of course, there's also my paranoia of someone grabbing and running off with it, and it not having an arc welder to protect itself with.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 12:48:49 PM
Some other cools ideas:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:13 PM
I've seen some folks using an AIRWHEEL or similar not too long ago. They seemed to move around sidewalks avoiding other people with great ease, making speed changes and sharp turns without problems.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:53 PM
This one is nice but just for indoor use, I suppose...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:26:50 PM
Those are all pretty cool indeed, but the cool thing about the Loomo is that it combines a method of transport along with a digital assistant.  Imagine if Siri could actually do things like going and getting things, or following you around on her own?  Or if Alexa could fire up a video chat with someone and walk with you, so you could watch where you are going instead of staring at a phone screen?

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 05:32:15 PM
Those are all pretty cool indeed, but the cool thing about the Loomo is that it combines a method of transport along with a digital assistant.  Imagine if Siri could actually do things like going and getting things, or following you around on her own?  Or if Alexa could fire up a video chat with someone and walk with you, so you could watch where you are going instead of staring at a phone screen?

Def

Hum... Siri... Yeah... I don't know... You think that's going to work?!

:think: :think:

Show content

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 05:35:34 PM
Also, isn't it a bit creepy, having the Lomo cam just under your crotch? Specially if you're a skirt-wearing lady. Or a scotsman...

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 10:29:35 PM
Anyone desperate enough to see what I've got under my kilt deserves whatever eye full they happen to get.  That's what therapists are for.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 01:23:24 PM
Anyone desperate enough to see what I've got under my kilt deserves whatever eye full they happen to get.  That's what therapists are for.

Def

Really?! I just found a lost hat, I believe it's yours...

Show content

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD