Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coast Pro Pocket Mechanic Review & Photos - Discontinued Multi Tool

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Recently acquired my first Coast MT. A fixed-plier Pro Pocket Mechanic. It feels quite robust, but most of the handle is the black plastic scales. One scale has a tiny red LED(think 1990s MiniChamp LED)(that is probably 1/8th of a lumen at best)(in the implement end) and the other scale is just needlessly thick. The bail is of decent quality and holds the sprung pliers handle down properly. The pliers handle is comfortable and the jaws open fairly wide(but, not multimaster wide - photo with MM in pics). The spring assists the pliers handle most of the way open, unlike most ToolClip-like MTs.

The pliers - well cast and have zero-play. Not loose or too tight and open with ease. The teeth are fairly well formed and should be adequate for most uses. The cutters work fairly well on 18-2 wire and 16-3 wire, but don't work well on 22-2 wire. The jaws mesh and meet nearly perfectly as well. They pull arm hair like they should. :)
Implements:
The pliers-handle side has a small flat-head driver that doesn't even open to 90 degrees(it also has no spring "snap" and opens with friction only). :facepalm:
First implement - medium flat-head driver/bottle opener/wire stripper. The stripper is sharp and well-formed. The bottle opener is mediocre at best, because of the way it is shaped. The driver end is nicely ground and very sharp. The issue is how thin it is. It measures 1.4mm(0.05") thick and 47mm(1.85") in length.
Second implement - Large flat-head driver/measuring stick/medium cross-cut file. The file is actually well made and mildly aggressive. the measuring markings show 5mm and 2" with markings in between. The flat-head driver is well ground sharp. This implement is considerably thicker than the previous. It measures 2mm(0.07") thick and 65mm(2.56") long. The strange thing is that the markings to measure start AFTER the driver portion, so this cannot be used as a depth gauge.  :facepalm:
Third implement - #1 Phillips driver. Typical high-polished head, but with REALLY long reach. The length is 62mm(2.4") with the tang and 54mm(2.13") without the tang(actual reach). The shank is 2.5mm(0.10") thick and the Phillips end is 4.6mm(0.19") thick and is fully-formed(not flattened).
Fourth implement - Spear-point combo blade. Basically half PE and half SE. The length of the blade is 66.9mm(2.63") and the cutting edge is 62.3mm(2.45"). SE is 29.1mm(1.15") and PE is 33.2mm(1.30"). The blade is ridiculously thin at 1.1mm(0.04") thick at the spine. It did come fairly sharp, but I doubt the edge retention is good, because of how thin the blade is. Tang is stamped "Coast" and no country of origin is marked on the tool.
Fifth implement - Scissor. They are surprisingly good. Designed like a large pair of SAK scissors. They cut everything I use them on in reason. Tissue paper - cardboard. The spring is weak, but the spring looks as if it were tampered with by the previous owner. The scissors fold out in an awkward position, where the scissor thumb lever goes 'below' the end of the handle. So, the scissors are great, but not nearly as functional as SAK scissors(because of the position). The scissor blades are nicely ground and have an angle similar to large SAK scissor blades. The pivot is a flat-head screw that can be tightened or loosened(a much appreciated feature).

The tools have little to no side-to-side play, but the individual springs are weak and retention is poor at best.

The weight:
11.372oz(322.2g) without sheath and 12.980oz(368.2g) with sheath.
The measurements:
TOOL: 167.2mm(6.58") long(pliers tip to handle-end). 26.5mm(1.04") thick scale-to-scale & 30.8mm(1.21") thick including the bail. 42.7mm(1.68") wide(pliers handle to tool-side).
SHEATH: 177.8mm(7") tall, 43mm(1.68") thick, and 74mm(2.91") wide. *This is with tool inserted.

The sheath:
Very well made. Thick nylon construction with double-stitched edges, double-thick vertical/horizontal carry loops on back, strong velcro closure, and embroidered red-stitch brand and tool-name. THE BEST SHEATH FOR ONE OF THESE TOOLS I HAVE EVER SEEN!

Pics:

Instructions:

*More experiences and thought on the Coast Pro Pocket Mechanic to come.
*Any information and data that anyone could post would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:46:49 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
What?  :o
Awesome. I have never seen this before. Boy, is it massive!  :drool: :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Indeed, RP! It is huge. :ahhh

It makes the MultiMaster look like an insect. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
322 grams? That is a heavy multitool!  :ahhh
It looks beastly and that thin blade should cut cardboard and stuff even when dull, due to its thinness  :salute:

Scissors look decent enough and that file is so wide, double width of most multitool files  :o

I can't attest for the quality of COAST tools, but I have a COAST sheath that is of superb quality and only has worn a bit in 5 years of carry every other week  :gimme:
It's awesome and the velcro closes in a very secure and reassuring way  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Thank you, TP! :cheers:
The file is actually good. The cutting surface is BIG and consistent. Way better than the files on 90% of cheap tools. :)
I guess you're right, the thin blade would make a good slicer. You'd just have to be careful not to bend the blade too much. :ahhh

It would be a heavy to most people,  but it isn't that heavy for us "over-carry" guys! :rofl:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Very interesting. I have two of the needle nose versions, and two of the blunt nose versions.

First off, the part number PM-2001 is shared with the original Pocket Mechanic. Confusing!

Second, that is the third type of spring scissors I've seen on this multi tool. There's also a springless scissor, which is only on the blunt-nosed tool. (All of the blunt-nosed tools have the same scissors)

Third, I can see you have the low-quality version of this tool. I'm not sure if it was the original version or if it is a later cost-cutting version, but you can tell this version by the thinness of the blade, the matte scales, and the almost 90 degree bend in the very tip of the handle spring. The one I have that exactly matches yours also has extremely weak back springs and a blade only 1.6mm thick at the tang. The other version I have has a 45 degree bend on the end of the spring, semi-gloss scales, and the blade measures 2.5mm thick at the tang. It also has a thicker (1.8mm) bottle opener and a 2.7mm thick file. Total tool thickness is 2.6cm for the cheaper copy and 2.8cm for the well-made copy. (This includes handle scales). The better-made version also has much, much stronger backsprings. MUCH stronger.

Interesting to note, both of the needle-nosed versions I have use friction for the backspring driver. Both of the blunt-nosed tools I have use the backspring to snap that tool in place.

So... you unfortunately got one of the lesser quality copies of this tool.

I'm going to try and post my reviews for these tools up in the Ubiquitous Plier tool thread late tonight. If not tonight, then tomorrow.

Also, from what I can gather, the needle-nosed was the original version of this type of plier. The blunt nosed came a few years later, and perhaps that is why it has the springless scissors and the better-operating backspring tool.

It's maddening that Coast doesn't date ANYTHING. Not a single brand-new tool I've purchased from them has had a date on the box or in the included literature. Not these plier tools, not the Pocket Toolboxes, nothing. The only ones that have dates on them are variants branded and sold by other companies. Nature Company and Sharper Image, for instance.

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:40:51 PM by ChopperCharles »

• No Life Club
Also note that this tool came out in 1995 or 1996, and was sold through 2006. Endeavor Tools continued to sell a blunt-nosed version in a kit with a Gator Grip until 2011. After 2011 this version became a special-order item, likely limited to remaining stock. It was finally removed from the Endeavor website in late 2017.

Edit: It either pre-dates the Wenger SwissGrip by one year, or it came out the exact same year.

Also note that the original Pocket Mechanic (SOG ToolClip style) came out in 1993.

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:35:09 PM by ChopperCharles »

• Zombie Apprentice
Thank you for the awesome information and your extensive research/knowledge in regard to this class of tool, Charles! :cheers:

I will say that I am quite happy with the purchase of the tool. The pliers are a stand-out in the fixed-plier budget arena. It is excellent to know that particular plier head is consistently well-made and useful. For $24, I cannot complain.  :)

• No Life Club
From my research it looks like the cheaply-made versions are the early versions. The quality goes up as time goes by. You can tell this is an early version of the needle-nose plier head because it is missing the hard wire notch in the cutter. The later versions of the needle nose head have a hard wire notch. (None of the blunt nose have a hard wire notch, FWIW).  I'd guess your copy to be mid to late 90s.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Very interesting. Thank you, Charles! :cheers:

us Offline Real1

Yes, thank you....great research effort. As I said in the other thread where you mentioned doing this thread just on this multitool....I used this tool @work back in '95/'96. It was the price and the heft of the tool that drew me in. Both tools I bought were lost. After the second one, I figured I couldn't keep one around for whatever reason. I have lost very few knives in my life.....I still have my original Boy Scout knife. I did leave a nice Gerber multitool on a truck bumper once and drove off. My boys gave me that tool knife and I felt so bad I replaced it and never told them......they always asked about that tool knife.

Anyway.....I used the pliers on this tool more than anything and they were outstanding. If the tool had a fault....I think it was the regular blade....weak. The wood saw was decent, but a compromise tool in actual use....I think the Philips was too soft.....the combo blade can opener/small screwdriver was OK, just OK....the serrated emergency blade was good and as I said the pliers were outstanding. Typically wire cutters in these kinda tools are too soft and only cut copper wire without damage to the tool.

100% stainless steel construction with Zytel handles. 5 1/2" overall length...weighs a "scant"  6 ounces. PM-2001.

I'd love to have another one w/sheath to fill the empty box, but I don't see them for sale in the usual used knife venues.

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:51:35 PM by Real1 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Welcome to the boards Kevin.   :cheers:

us Offline Real1

"Welcome to the boards Kevin.   :cheers:"

Why thank you!

Kevin

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!

"Welcome to the boards Kevin.   :cheers:"

Why thank you!

Kevin

Click the quote button on a post to add its text into your reply.

• Zombie Apprentice
Yes, thank you....great research effort. As I said in the other thread where you mentioned doing this thread just on this multitool....I used this tool @work back in '95/'96. It was the price and the heft of the tool that drew me in. Both tools I bought were lost. After the second one, I figured I couldn't keep one around for whatever reason. I have lost very few knives in my life.....I still have my original Boy Scout knife. I did leave a nice Gerber multitool on a truck bumper once and drove off. My boys gave me that tool knife and I felt so bad I replaced it and never told them......they always asked about that tool knife.

Anyway.....I used the pliers on this tool more than anything and they were outstanding. If the tool had a fault....I think it was the regular blade....weak. The wood saw was decent, but a compromise tool in actual use....I think the Philips was too soft.....the combo blade can opener/small screwdriver was OK, just OK....the serrated emergency blade was good and as I said the pliers were outstanding. Typically wire cutters in these kinda tools are too soft and only cut copper wire without damage to the tool.

100% stainless steel construction with Zytel handles. 5 1/2" overall length...weighs a "scant"  6 ounces. PM-2001.

I'd love to have another one w/sheath to fill the empty box, but I don't see them for sale in the usual used knife venues.

Kevin
Welcome to MT.o, Real1! :cheers:

Thank you for the info and story behind it. :)

Keep your eyes open on eBay. Every once in a while, you'll see them listed. :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Finally got one of the better quality Pro Pocket Mechanics, and a blunt nose version at that.  :woohoo:

Photos.

Pics with the NN version from the thread topic.

BN on right side.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:15:09 AM by gerleatherberman »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
I prefer the Blunt-nose out of the two.  :dd:
Thanks for sharing that one too! :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
I prefer the Blunt-nose out of the two.  :dd:
Thanks for sharing that one too! :cheers:
Thank you, RP! :cheers:

I was quite surprised at the thickness of the steel stock used on the BN. It is a brick like the NN version. A bit heavier at 12.55oz(355.8g) though, because of the all around beefier construction.  :ahhh

jp Offline hiraboo

I have read your discussion with great interest. I don’t know anything about this tool.
I am very happy to have many discoveries. ヽ(´3`)ノ

Here is another model of this tool. I bought it at a Japanese auction.
I hope these pictures are useful for you.

Thank you.

• No Life Club
Yep, I have that sharper image new in the box. It’s the only type 1 version that has the “Pro” naming.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
I have read your discussion with great interest. I don’t know anything about this tool.
I am very happy to have many discoveries. ヽ(´3`)ノ

Here is another model of this tool. I bought it at a Japanese auction.
I hope these pictures are useful for you.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you.

素晴らしい発見、私の友人!それは私がまだ探している数少ない予算ツールの一つです。 :like:

ポケットメカニックは、固定工具マルチツールの歴史の素晴らしい作品です。 :tu:

そして、はい、これは中毒性の趣味です。 :D 

:rofl:

Quote from: English
Great find, my friend! That is one of the few budget tools I am still looking for.
The Pocket Mechanic is a great piece of fixed pliers multi tool history.
And yes, this is an addictive hobby.  :rofl:

jp Offline hiraboo

Yep, I have that sharper image new in the box. It’s the only type 1 version that has the “Pro” naming.

I'm glad to know what this is. Thank you for the information. d('-^o)☆

Great find, my friend! That is one of the few budget tools I am still looking for.
The Pocket Mechanic is a great piece of fixed pliers multi tool history.
And yes, this is an addictive hobby.  :rofl:

There are a lot of tools that I don't know yet. It ’s really fun to see your collection. (。・Д・)ゞ
I hope you find what you are looking for, before our addiction is cured. ヽ(ˇд ˇ;)ノ

• Zombie Apprentice
There are a lot of tools that I don't know yet. It ’s really fun to see your collection. (。・Д・)ゞ
I hope you find what you are looking for, before our addiction is cured. ヽ(ˇд ˇ;)ノ
Thank you, hiraboo! :cheers:

I am not sure collecting is curable, but we can hope. :D

• No Life Club
One of these days I'll take some photos of all my pocket mechanic tools together. It's a bit impressive...

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD