Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Horseman's Knives.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Horseman's Knives.
on: October 03, 2019, 02:22:42 AM
In honor of a relatively young (38) friend of mine that recently passed away, I thought I'd start a thread on horseman's knives.  She was part of the reason I had need for such a knife, as she taught me how to ride. In her early '20s, she was among one of the top equestrians in the country. Remember poring over the SAK/Smoky Mountain Knifeworks catalogs when I was 9-10 (the time I started carrying knives, and riding horses), badly wanting the Victorinox Equestrian.  My folks really didn't want to buy it (I guess because either the $50 price tag, or that they considered it too big); so I got this Cashel from either the tack store or Tractor Supply. It's not the best and is a little cheap, but it worked.  It's also one of the few cheapos I own that A: didn't break and B: has a lot of sentimental value.

Horseman's knives are among the oldest form of multitool, having been made even before the SAK. They will typically contain tools good for working around horses, such as hoof picks, leather awls (for working with tack), and other tools.

Blade selection on my example is as follows: Clip Point main blade, hoof knife (the blade I used the most, since the clip point blade is hard to get to; can't recall ever having to trim a horse's hoof with it), main/tail comb blade (not only good for getting burrs out of manes and tails, but also great as a wood saw; well at least compared to the SAK clone I then had; then I bought a Vic Fieldmaster and I was highly impressed; thus starting the SAK obsession), punch/awl, and a hoof pick (also used that tool quite a bit).

Couldn't find where I'd put the knife; so old photo.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Horseman's Knives.
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:16:04 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend, may she RIP.  The road to SAK obsession is an interesting one and yours is no less interesting thanks for sharing. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD