Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody Else Never Owned a Spartan?

us Offline Frailer

Anybody Else Never Owned a Spartan?
on: July 19, 2018, 05:08:40 AM
As I was reading a “favorite SAK” thread today I came to realize that I do not own—nor have I ever owned—an example of the much-loved and near-ubiquitous Victorinox Spartan.

While my collection is quite modest in relation to many, it does consist of over 50 different Victorinox models, yet there’s not a Spartan (or, for that matter, its Phillips-bearing cousin the Tinker) among them.  (FWIW, I did technically own a Tinker for a very brief period, but it was purchased as a Christmas gift for someone else.)

I don’t have anything at all against these models; I just never saw the need for one. My first SAK was a Huntsman, and it was my only SAK for over a decade.  I was then introduced to the Compact, and it was love at first sight. Shedding half the number of layers at the cost of the rarely-used saw? Count me in!  I’ve often carried larger SAKs in my bag (usually a SwissChamp), but the knife in my pocket could be no thicker than two layers, and it had to have scissors.

I’ve recently become enamored with the wonderful simplicity of the Waiter (with the Classic on my key ring providing scissors), and I’ve even taken to carrying a Bantam around the house. The inline awl is useful enough to persuade me to carry a Pioneer (again, paired with a Classic) on occasion, and the huge number of trees and bushes on my property force me to break my two-layer rule and pocket a Farmer (or even a Huntsman) when yard work is on the agenda.  Nevertheless, most days the ingenious combo tool performs all my container-opening and screw-turning tasks with aplomb, and I don’t need a second blade on my knife, so the Spartan’s features are rendered superfluous...for me.

Am I completely alone here? Anybody feel the need to change my mind?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:09:53 AM by Frailer »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Anybody Else Never Owned a Spartan?
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:29:28 AM
Hmmmm......

The Spartan is a model that doesn't get as much pocket time as it should.  Farmers, PX's, Soldiers......awl get the nod more often than the Spartan.

But, I must say, the Spartan remains a favorite. In some ways, the Spartan is the culmination of the Officer's version of the SI.

It has it awl: blade, pen blade, openers, awl, corkscrew, and T&T. Wow! That right there is more function than the original SI. So what's not to love?

No scissors, no saw....sure...OK. But when it comes down to the tools one uses the most, the Spartan has the goods.

I find a bit of delight in every Spartan I carry, use, or hold. They are slim but versatile, light but potent, comfortable but capable.

If the Spartan were the only SAK I had, I'd still be a happy man.  :tu:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:39 AM
Every swiss army knife has it's place. You can't really fault Victorinox on a knife's toolset because they have an endless number of SAKs that will suit your needs. That being said I think the humble Spartan is still a good contender for an EDC item. And there's a reason it's been around a long, LONG time. It's a classic, basic model just like the Pioneer. No bells and whistles. It's lightweight, and a great pocket knife with a couple extras. And no collection is really quite complete without one. :2tu:
20180718_232911.jpg
* 20180718_232911.jpg (Filesize: 45.28 KB)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:33:57 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:41:37 AM
And no collection is really quite complete without one.

I didn't feel the need to say that. Seems obvious. Should I have said that too?   :think:

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 06:11:05 AM
And no collection is really quite complete without one.

I didn't feel the need to say that. Seems obvious. Should I have said that too?   :think:
I was just trying to give the man an extra reason to blow money on another knife lol
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:38:38 PM
I own about 8 Spartans, and a couple tinkers.  Some of my Spartans I bought only because they were an LE or had some other special characteristic, so they never get carried however. 

I totally agree with Nix here:

If the Spartan were the only SAK I had, I'd still be a happy man.  :tu:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:41:59 PM by Myron »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 02:15:55 PM
It took me more than a decade to get my first Spartan after starting my SAK collection, and it's something that still bothers me,  :ahhh because it is the bare essential of SAK's toolset in a really pocketable, simple and elegant package.  :salute:

To address that lack of Spartans, I ordered 4 of them from the Mt.Org store that should arrive soon  :climber:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 02:34:05 PM
Four? Wow. Well that's one way to make up for lost time.....   :rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 02:36:35 PM
Four? Wow. Well that's one way to make up for lost time.....   :rofl:

some I will give away to people I know, so that they don't have to waste more than a decade to get their first one like I did  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 02:43:16 PM
Very nice, El P!

I always believed that the Spartan was everybody's first SAK. That the Spartan was the 'first knife' given to a child by a relative. I just assumed that everyone had a Spartan....or four.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 03:25:35 PM
Just got my first one last year, immediately followed by another.  Hmm, it's getting to be about time again!  I always thought of the Spartan as the PST of the SAK realm.  Everyone should have at least one.
Way to go Peacent!!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 03:30:34 PM
I see a Spartan challenge in the future.......

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 03:33:28 PM
It took me more than a decade to get my first Spartan after starting my SAK collection, and it's something that still bothers me,  :ahhh because it is the bare essential of SAK's toolset in a really pocketable, simple and elegant package.  :salute:

To address that lack of Spartans, I ordered 4 of them from the Mt.Org store that should arrive soon  :climber:

I don't see the Spartan in the MTO store.  What am I missing?

Myron

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:16 PM
Aha, thanks.  I missed the dropdown menu feature of that.  Still learning the secret ways of MTO!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 04:18:32 PM
Bit of a treasure hunt, that.  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 01:19:12 AM
Not until El Corkscrews giveaway about a year ago.  I still own that Spartan, but also have a 1970s Standard and two 1980s Tourists. I carry the Tourist a lot as an EDC, as it's very comfortable, even in my lightest shorts (which normally don't carry full sized knives well).   Let's just say that giveaway ruined me. It was the one that made me quit thinking of the Spartan as a model to avoid because of its corkscrew and no inline driver, but more as a decent pocketknife that could get one out of a bind. The corkscrew is superior to the Phillips for one reason--a lot can be done with it, as opposed to the Phillips which is just a driver. I enjoy collecting Spartans, Tourists, and Standards (as well as Wenger Vikings) due to their low cost, and myriad of logos. While many companies on my list never had a knife made with an inlaid logo (Siemens is a big one, mostly choosing to have it printed on in their blue-green company color), I try to focus on inlays only.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:24:56 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 05:04:29 PM
I also really like the Tourist, too.  Such a great little package for most of life's recreational pursuits.  :)

Here are some Spartans that have found their ways to me the last couple years.  I used to spurn the fancy printed scales, but I find myself strangely attracted to them these days for some reason.

Myron

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 01:11:08 AM
I’ve gifted a few , but never owned one .

Chris

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 11:42:02 AM
Never for me either

:climber:

it Offline Mini

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 10:51:21 PM
I have two spartan, and bought them only because I liked the logo. I prefer 84mm version with nailfile, the sportsman or the corresponding wenger commander.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 04:24:26 AM
Never owned a Spartan.

My first Swiss Army Knife was a Super Tinker 30 years ago. Still have it. My second was a Tinker Deluxe, back in 2012. Still have that. Last year, I picked up and old, metal inlay BSA regular Tinker with black scales.

I have various other SAKs of various models, some with cork screw, some with Philips screw driver - but no Spartans. And I'm not really sad about it per se. I prefer the Philips screwdriver,  but get the corkscrew because it comes with other models I like

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 04:36:47 AM
But....but.....but....the Spartan is the principle derivative of the original SAK.

Still, a Tinker is pretty darned close. I'd awlmost consider them the same (+/- a corkscrew). 

:cheers:

my Offline Everdying

Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 05:42:35 AM
i have a spartan, but i hardly use it.
same with the pioneer, or anything without a scissors :P

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 05:49:22 AM
But....but.....but....the Spartan is the principle derivative of the original SAK.

Still, a Tinker is pretty darned close. I'd awlmost consider them the same (+/- a corkscrew). 

:cheers:

Hi Nix,

I know. I know...

But really, why does everyone say that? Think about it. The original soldier knife of 1890 had no backside tools at all. Nowhere on that knife was there a corkscrew.

Seems to me the citizen 'Pioneer' of the 1950's and the 1961- 2008 (? 09 ?) Soldier are the true direct descendants of the 1890 solider knife.

So maybe the 1897 Officer knife was laid out like the Spartan, and maybe the Tinker came out after the Spartan. But I consider my Pioneer closer in line to the original soldier knife than either one of them, so the Spartan, while inportant, isn't a big need for me personally, although I do understand the draw
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:59:41 AM by ThundahBeagle »

00 Offline Harris

Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03:09 AM
Never owned a Spartan.  Inconceivable!

According to the booklet that came with the 115 year Limited Edition Spartan it started life in 1897.  Did not the back-mounted phillips debut in the mid 30's?
437f4616443b76880550560dbb23fdd6.jpg
* 437f4616443b76880550560dbb23fdd6.jpg (Filesize: 83.2 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 06:17:14 AM

Seems to me the citizen 'Pioneer' of the 1950's and the 1961- 2008 (? 09 ?) Soldier are the true direct descendants of the 1890 solider knife.

Oh, sure, throw the Pioneer in my face.  :pommel:

And, I'd agree, but the Spartan is the celidor version of the Pioneer.  And, as much as I love Alox, it's the red celidor scales that just scream "SAK". And I think the corkscrew showed up in 1897 in the "Officer's" model, so it does have some tradition on it's side.

If you have a Tinker, I think you understand the Spartan. But, if you don't have a Tinker, you'd better have a Spartan. ....Or a Pioneer.   :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 06:18:13 AM
Never owned a Spartan.  Inconceivable!

Agreed. In my mind, the Spartan is the SAK.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 04:27:11 PM
I own several Spartans, mostly advertising knives given to me by my youngest brother. I never carry one. I don´t have any Pioneers or Soldiers, except the newer 111mm. To me, the historical relevance is irrelevant  :D

I just carry SAKs because of their toolset and I find SAKs without woodsaw a bit lacking.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 04:12:18 AM
Don't have a Spartan.  I do have a Tinker.  It rarely sees pocket time because it just doesn't have the right tools for me either.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%