Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRAFTSMAN CLENCH WRENCH - 00930879

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
CRAFTSMAN CLENCH WRENCH - 00930879
on: July 19, 2018, 05:57:36 PM

I saw these in my Ace Hardware for $39 and thought they were kinda neat. Not $40 neat, but still neat. Then I hear that they're on clearance for $35. Okay, still not all that interested, but they do seem neat.

I go home and look them up, and they're $11.99 on Amazon. For that price, damn yeah I'll try them out. (The price has since jumped to $14.99. Link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149KQJ6U/)

They're new in the blisterpack, not factory seconds or anything. I like them. They're built well, and overall good tools. The spring is nice and strong, and also tucked out of the way. The heads fold into the handles for easy storage. They fit a large selection of nuts, and even fit the axle nuts on my vintage motorcycles. They do work too. I overall like them. However, these particular clutch wrenches aren't great for applying lots of torque. The gripping fingers are small, and they're completely smooth. I've had the tool slip, and I busted my knuckles royally, trying to remove said axle nut. Granted, that nut was at the limit of the jaws for the larger tool, but still, slipping off is a problem.

Overall I do like them, and for under $15 I can say yeah they're worth it. Especially if you're trying to pack a motorcycle tool roll and don't want a bajillion wrenches in there. A socket set and a couple of these wrenches will work well. That said, they need to have larger heads and gripping teeth to be a really awesome tool.

Charles.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Re: CRAFTSMAN CLENCH WRENCH - 00930879
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:12:48 AM
Seems like a decent alternative to an adjustable wrench.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Re: CRAFTSMAN CLENCH WRENCH - 00930879
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:46:43 PM
It works well for that in most cases. It doesn't lose adjustment and the handle can be opened and locked at any angle for access in odd spaces. I like that. The lack of teeth on the jaws make it slip more than I'd like. I have a cheapie eBay clutch/clench wrench like this which works a lot better because it has big biting teeth and a larger finger. It doesn't slip from where I put it... but it's not on the same level of quality as the craftsman wrenches.

Edit: This cheapie wrench I actually like better in some ways: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Tool-with-Wrench-9-in-1/200658154287

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:00:19 PM by ChopperCharles »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44