Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Apple trees? Anyone have or know anything on them?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Was kinda curious if anyone on here has an apple tree or know anything on them? I love apples which ones idk, my grandmother always gave me the grannys, can’t forget that, but we were at a farmers market once and as we were leaving I was soo thirsty and there were no drink stands but an apple stand and I grabbed one for the road and OMG so good so juicy, it did it’s job of getting rid of the thirst!
   Anyway, since we moved and I can now do things I thought maybe put up an apple tree? I love apple, the kid loves apples, and the wife would make apple pies! The one thing that’s got me thinking is depending on where to put it up, if in the front we live right down the street from a high school, if they walk by and would take one for the road ok, but if used to throw, then that ain’t good..
   The other thing that got me thinking is, what kind? Then I saw this, a four in one? I didn’t even know they could makes these? Any thoughts? Any info on planting, I’d love to put one up out back but where there’s power lines right above so idk? Thoughts?
JR
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:25:30 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Apple trees? Anyone have or know anything on them?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:14:12 PM
I forget where you live, but different regions seem to favor different apple trees.

I assume you have an Ag university in your state. You may have a local county extension agent who can give you some great advice and insight on what sort of apple trees do best in your area. He or She will have experience dealing with local pests and infections.

Ag agents are awesome (at least here in Montana) resources, and often not utilized as much as they could be. So, don't listen to any of my crackpot ideas, but definitely get a hold of your county extension agent.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:17:50 PM
^^^^

Excellent advice   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:03:11 AM
Idk, I’ve never heard of them? I’ll have to do some research, it says it can also be potted, but it will grow in our state..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 12:16:03 AM
^^^^

+2 sounds good.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 12:41:20 AM
^^^^

+2 sounds good.  :salute:

+3

I'll also add, there are many apple groups on Facebook and the Apple/orchard forum on Gardenweb was/is really good. Ensuring you buy apples trees that are right for your area is important.  Check the number of chill hours in your area.  This will dictate the cultivars best suited for your area.  Living south of Houston, TX, in zone 9, there are only a few apples that grow and produce here. The big box stores in this area sell many different varieties, most of them not suitable for our zone. They never provide fruit and unwitting buyers never realize they were duped.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 02:35:09 AM
Do as Nix says :salute: and also if just getting 1 apple make sure it is self pollinating :tu: if not then you will have to have 2 different types that bloom at the same time :tu: Also it helps to have 2 even if they are self pollinationg as it still gives them a better chance of pollinating :tu: Also best to get later blooming varieties since you are farther north and you need them to bloom after your latest frosts :cheers:

Also good luck with them :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 02:52:05 AM
I forget where you live, but different regions seem to favor different apple trees.

I assume you have an Ag university in your state. You may have a local county extension agent who can give you some great advice and insight on what sort of apple trees do best in your area. He or She will have experience dealing with local pests and infections.

Ag agents are awesome (at least here in Montana) resources, and often not utilized as much as they could be. So, don't listen to any of my crackpot ideas, but definitely get a hold of your county extension agent.  :tu:

^ +3 

Or if you have a neighbour with several fruit trees they may be willing to give you some good advice.

We used to have several apple trees that we pruned to keep them as a 2-dimensional screen against a fence.  They were excellent for the first few years (very few pests, good fruit production), but as the suburb matured the pests moved in and maintenance became quite a chore (plus I don't like using chemicals on anything I'm going to eat).  I dug them all out last summer when we needed to replace the fence they were growing next to.  We are now doing the final recycling (burning them in our wood-fired room heater - they make good firewood).

Nowadays we buy our apples from a local grower - fresh apples are much nicer than the stale cold-stored ones sold by all the supermarkets in our area.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 12:03:18 PM
You could ask at your local garden centre, of course they will try to make sure you leave the store with some of their product.  ;)

So many apples grow here it often smells like rotting apples outside but I don't really know anyone in the industry.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 03:31:59 PM
Do as Nix says :salute: and also if just getting 1 apple make sure it is self pollinating :tu: if not then you will have to have 2 different types that bloom at the same time :tu: Also it helps to have 2 even if they are self pollinationg as it still gives them a better chance of pollinating :tu: Also best to get later blooming varieties since you are farther north and you need them to bloom after your latest frosts :cheers:

Also good luck with them :tu:

Another great point. 

I forgot to mention that I have a crab apple tree in my yard.  It's insanely productive, so much so that I've given away bag and bags.  They aren't the most delicious nor bad tasting but one can only eat so many.  My guess is that there must be another tree somewhere close but honestly since I dont know the variety or apple tree I have no clue.  The last of the apples are now falling off the tree.  Its flowering again which is quite lovely.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 09:09:10 PM
We've got a couple. A granny smith and mackintosh i think, maybe a fuji but i dont remember. Ask your local resources on agriculture as to what you ought to grow and where to place it. Ours are very, very productive at about 5 years old- some years, there are so many apples on the trees that the branches are at risk of breaking. Be ready to put up a lot of applesauce, apple butter, pie filling, fried apples, and whatever else you like that can be home canned, assuming you've got a little luck and pick a good tree.

Around harvest time we often have more apples than we can eat, can, and give away- a good problem to have.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 10:08:09 PM
Fun fact: Braeburn apples originated in my area. Royal Gala (my favourite) were also developed in NZ.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 10:19:32 PM
Fun fact: Braeburn apples originated in my area. Royal Gala (my favourite) were also developed in NZ.

Braeburns are my favorite. Mrs Nix prefers Honeycrisps. Galas are too sweet for both of us.

And Granny Smiths are the clear winner for making Apple pies.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 10:31:39 PM
Well that one tree that has my attn is a four in one, how that works idk, but you get four diff apples on one tree!
JR

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 10:44:29 PM
Well that one tree that has my attn is a four in one, how that works idk, but you get four diff apples on one tree!
JR

Grafting is the answer to the mystery.  Some of the crazier grafting experts have a dozen or more different apple varieties on the same tree. It is the answer for someone wanting variety and not having space. 

What growing zone are you in?
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 10:52:14 PM
Do they fruit at different times or all at once?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 10:53:08 PM
Is it suitable for your soil, etc?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 11:06:27 PM
JR

Grafting is the answer to the mystery.  Some of the crazier grafting experts have a dozen or more different apple varieties on the same tree. It is the answer for someone wanting variety and not having space. 

I saw something of that nature, thus also allowing it to grow apples in the first year rather then having to wait over 5years before even seeing anything says a zone 6,,
JR

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 11:06:51 PM
Do they fruit at different times or all at once?

Either or both.  One of the great things about learning to graft is all the possibilities. Plus the Frankentree aspect of manipulating nature.   >:D

Pollination is an important factor in choosing trees.  Some trees are self fruitful but many more will only bear fruit when pollinated by another variety of apple that fruits at the same time.  Orchards handle this in a variety of ways, but home growers with little room can graft one limb of the pollinating tree onto their favorite variety and have room for another favored variety instead of a less favored pollinator.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 11:11:16 PM
JR

I saw something of that nature, thus also allowing it to grow apples in the first year rather then having to wait over 5years before even seeing anything says a zone 6,,
JR

Most fruit trees are grafted. It gives you an exact clone of the tree you want and fruits faster. It also allows you to choose the rootstock so you can grow large, medium, small or even dwarf trees.

I'll check zone 6 and get you a list of options in a few days.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 11:17:32 PM
JR

JR

Most fruit trees are grafted. It gives you an exact clone of the tree you want and fruits faster. It also allows you to choose the rootstock so you can grow large, medium, small or even dwarf trees.

Ok thanks! On one of the posts it shows a map on the zones and where that tree is good in.
So here’s a question, if you can do this Frankentree, can you do like a 2diff apple, peach, pear, and grapes all from the same rootstock?
JR

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 01:16:16 AM
JR

JR

Ok thanks! On one of the posts it shows a map on the zones and where that tree is good in.
So here’s a question, if you can do this Frankentree, can you do like a 2diff apple, peach, pear, and grapes all from the same rootstock?
JR

Fruit salad tree? No.  You almost always gave to stay in the same family.  Stone fruit, plums, peaches, apricots, and some cherries can be grown on the same tree.  Asian and European  pears can be grown on the same tree.  Apples and crab apples can be grown on the same tree.  Otherwise no. There is at least one apple/pear exception, but it isn't worth mentioning.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 02:47:14 AM
JR

JR

JR

Fruit salad tree? No.  You almost always gave to stay in the same family.  Stone fruit, plums, peaches, apricots, and some cherries can be grown on the same tree.  Asian and European  pears can be grown on the same tree.  Apples and crab apples can be grown on the same tree.  Otherwise no. There is at least one apple/pear exception, but it isn't worth mentioning.
Ok, so only certain fruits can combo, even though that one guy made 40 fruit..
JR

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 05:31:50 AM
JR

JR

JR

Ok, so only certain fruits can combo, even though that one guy made 40 fruit..
JR

Yeah, there is a guy named Joe Real in California. He is a grafting wiz. He has approximately 100 varieties of citrus on the same tree. Citrus is unusual in that you can graft almost any citrus on the same tree.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 08:47:16 AM
My Tangelo bush (in a pot) almost died when my Mum was 'looking after it'  ::) and the only green that appeared in spring was some spiky stuff coming from the rootstock. I cut those off and eventually the top started budding. It may have eventually done that anyway, who knows.  :shrug:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 03:53:13 PM
Mad P. http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/planting_fruit_trees

To be successful IMO you really should contact your local expert.  Wanting a certain variety is one thing but that particular variety being able to survive your zone is another. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 07:15:50 AM
Most of the apples on your 4-in1 would probably be okay, except the Granny Smith.  The chill hours on GS are much lower than in your area.  It might work sometimes, but most years you will lose the blooms to freezing weather in early spring.   

Good bets for your area for eating apples, Honeycrisp, Gala, and McIntosh.  Try Mutsu as your Granny Smith type.

As stated before, check with your county extension service or your state agricultural college for options.  Michigan grows lots of apples so it shouldn't be difficult to find some good ones at a reputable nursery.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%