Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your Emergency Kit?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Your Emergency Kit?
on: July 22, 2018, 02:53:01 PM
Since the arrival of the Stealth Angel Survival Kit and the almost identical Avventura Survival Kit I have been thinking about what I would put in a similar kit if my priority was remaining alive rather than making a quick buck.

This got me thinking of what I would put in it, remembering that it has to be a general kit, as I wouldn't want to put together a fire kit, a dog kit, a flood kit, an earthquake kit, a tornado kit, a zombie kit, a meteor kit, an alien invasion kit etc.

As a general kit I think I would want at least one of each of the following:

1- a multitool, useful for repairing or maintaining any equipment I may need, from a Coleman stove to emergency vehicle repairs.  I would want a multitool that is inexpensive, highly functional and has the most features.

2- some sort of water purifier, because let's face it, water is almost always going to be a priority in an emergency, even in a flood when it appears that you have too much water.

3- fire making device, because it goes along with the water purifier because you may still need/want to boil the water too.  This could include some kind of small stove and/or basic cooking kit.

4- some kind of signalling device, although could be lumped in with the fire making device since smoke and fire have often been used for signalling throughout history.

What are everyone's thoughts on each, and what more would you add or remove, and why?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Your Emergency Kit?
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:13 PM
I posted these way back, idk if it’s really what your after but hope it helps..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 05:19:54 PM
I would definitely add a fifth basic category, a First Aid Kit of sorts,

can be small, compact but God knows that there's no substitute for it when you need it  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 06:11:04 PM
JR can you post a link to the source for those charts please?  They're kind of small for my tired eyes but I might be able to read them at the source.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 06:20:24 PM
JR can you post a link to the source for those charts please?  They're kind of small for my tired eyes but I might be able to read them at the source.
Sure, umm, I didn't remember where I got it but the address was right on the pic under the red bag, lol..  :whistle:
Here.. https://www.aboblist.com/bug-out-bag-list-of-contents/
JR
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:21:28 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 07:13:37 PM
Well this is the FAK I carry in my car

Pill Bottle, with ibuprofen, loperamide hcl and generic antihistamine
16 Bandage Strips 1in x 3in
10 Pain Relievers (Asprin)
2 Bandage Gauzes, 2in x 4.5 yds.
2 Triple Antibiotic Packages
Elastic Bandage, 6in
2 First Aid Cream Packages
Triangular Bandage, 40in x 40in x 56in
Burn Aid Package
Field Dressing
2 Tape, Rolls, Adhesive
4 Sterile Sponges, 4in x 4in
SAM / Universial Splint
4 Abdominal Packs, 5in x 9in
Eye Pad
EMT Shears, 7.25in
16 Alcohol Wipes
Pair of Tweezers
15 Lodine Wipes
Stainless Steel Hemostat, 5in
15 Antiseptic BZK Wipes
4 Suture Sets
15 Clean Wipes
Lip Treatment
2 Tounge Depressors
Sterile Flushing Solution
Airway
Hand Soap
2 Instant Ice Packs
6 Safety Pins
4 Pairs of Latex Examination Gloves
CAT Torniquet
2 Israeli Dressings
2 Quick Clot Bandages
1 small roll Duct Tape
2 14" x 14" polythene squares
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 02:43:52 PM
Well for now the mandatory FAK that all cars in my country must have and my EDC will have to do. I don't have enough funds to start another gear obsession cycle!  :twak:

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:26:23 PM
Man survives wilderness because he LOOSES his survival kit

Ok, its not exactly true, he did not survive because he lost his lighter, he survived because he did run out of firewood :D... he could simply have walked out to begin with and it would probably have been a lot easier because he would have been less tired, less hungry, less dehydrated and better vision thanks to contact lenses.
Sad part is, not only is he planning on advising others on survival, he did not even realize that a second lighter could have cost him his life.

I kinda feel that the smartphone is a totally underrated survival item.
1st step in EVERY scenario is communication, so the most critical survival item should be a secondary smartphone. Due to financial concern (but also the high maintenance of smartphones) I would say a good protective case and a backup power should do the trick too. Most people seem not to know that even without signal, the GPS is still working. And the map (e.g. google maps) has a cache, so if you open the map in the general area you are going to be in, before the trip, it will show your location on the map.
( I presume the smartphone is part of the EDC )
- Protective case
- Powerbank
- Charger

Functions a smartphone can provide without signal:
- GPS
- information about plants and wildlife (there are really good apps available, but I guess it depends on where you live)
- offline maps might be available depending on where you live
- light
- compass
- magnifying glass
- noise (music from your smartphone can help you get found even if you have passed out).
- notepad
- mirror for signaling (most smartphones are polished enough to reflect a decent amount of light.)
- mirror (for shaving, make up or taking a splinter out of your nose).
- scan your id card (insurance information and other critical documents) and you have a backup readily available (helpful if you have to evacuate your home)
- contact information
- spirit level
- barometer and altimeter

With signal your smartphone can of course a great deal more.
- money/payment
- weather information
- Information in general
- communication
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 02:46:00 PM
I completely agree with your comments regarding a smartphone being one of (if not THE) best pieces of safety gear in the woods.  Being able to navigate, communicate and provide precise location and health information can go a long way to keeping you alive when the worst happens.  The biggest problem is that no one seems to make an extended battery version of a smartphone.  I would happily go back to a much thicker phone if it meant that I could have a battery that could last several days at least.

Battery packs and solar chargers are great add ons, as is the Bio Lite Stove, but it would be great to have a decent battery built into the phone itself.  Given that manufacturers are trying to make phones thinner and thinner every year, it would be nice to have a "thick" phone from a few years ago with today's board and screen, and the rest of the space taken up by a much larger battery.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 04:11:03 PM
On our last hike I tried to cache the general area in Google Earth on my phone, on the ground I very quickly realised it was of zero use......I'll admit that might be due to the terrain in question.

We also had a Garmin hiking GPS, something pressed against the screen one time as my cousin was taking off his backpack, GPS kept sensing a touch in that area and was useless after that.

I hear you, but I remain doubtful.....

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 09:20:19 AM
On our last hike I tried to cache the general area in Google Earth on my phone, on the ground I very quickly realised it was of zero use......I'll admit that might be due to the terrain in question.

We also had a Garmin hiking GPS, something pressed against the screen one time as my cousin was taking off his backpack, GPS kept sensing a touch in that area and was useless after that.

I hear you, but I remain doubtful.....
That is why you should use a protective case

Google maps + GPS gives you a good idea in what direction you should go in case you are lost. But its a fairly limited app and does not work as well in every country.
I don't like Google Earth very much its quite crude and slow.
If you really want to use it you have to figure out what is the best app for your destination. E.g. for Switzerland you can get Swiss Map (this is from the Federal Office for Topography). The app itself is not good, but the maps behind it are stellar. With an app like this you can pinpoint your location within meters on the map and can plan the direction you have to go.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 03:18:05 PM
For navigating one hint:
Forget about google maps. Rely on offline maps.
Here in europe I use mapy.cz , a czech map which has also an app where you can download topo maps from all over the world for free. Openstreetmap does that too, but costs some euros.

Just compare mapy.cz with googlemaps for wilderness areas..

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 03:43:37 PM
I just had a very brief look at mapy.cz and it looks good. I use viewranger as it allows me to buy O/S maps at a reasonable rate v the paper ones.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

de Offline Shuya

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 04:00:19 PM
I just had a very brief look at mapy.cz and it looks good. I use viewranger as it allows me to buy O/S maps at a reasonable rate v the paper ones.

As mentioned, in the mapy app you can download maps for free :whistle:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 04:14:30 PM

As mentioned, in the mapy app you can download maps for free :whistle:

I hear you  :iagree:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 04:28:09 PM
For navigating one hint:
Forget about google maps. Rely on offline maps.
Here in europe I use mapy.cz , a czech map which has also an app where you can download topo maps from all over the world for free. Openstreetmap does that too, but costs some euros.

Just compare mapy.cz with googlemaps for wilderness areas..
I use SwissTopo, best maps EVER :D
I really don't understand why Google does not use them. I guess they want to use their spy gear, to collect more date than just road maps.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 10:15:00 PM
Years ago I put together a kit that comprised of everything that I carried while in the Marine Corps. Perhaps I should adapt it for civilian life but it works:

550 cord
Electrical tape
Leatherman
Zip ties
Ferro rod
Benchmade hook knife
Mini Maglite

de Offline Shuya

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:25 AM
Depends.
The only case I carry a real "emergency kit" is when I am out in the mountains alone (mountains = alps above 2000m).
It consists of the following:

- first aid kit ( a real one, with field dressings and stuff), including tablets (painkillers, stuff for diarrhea, ...)
- headlight (atm Black Diamond Storm)
- whistle (again: a real one, Acme Tornado)
- emergency/space blanket (one in my FAK
- UL Bivy bag (Mountain Equipment Ultralite Bivibag, a compromise between usage and weight, way better than a spaceblanket)
- in a small film container: 5m of 2mm dyneema rope (for hanging clothes, shoelaces...), 2 small zipties, small tube of seamgrip, 1g superglue, 50cm wire, 10 water purification tabs, small sewing kit, container wrapped with ductape. Never used it besides the rope for hanging clothes at the hut, but it weights almost nothing.
- Cellphone
- always map and compass, additional GPS on remote places
- SAK of some sort (last years a Deluxe Tinker)

This will get me through most stuff in the mountain range. Dont need fire, there is nothing to burn in the mountains anyway.
Better stay warm and dry in your clothes (Raingear and hat+gloves + extra insulation even in the summer!) and wait for the pros when something happens.

Ah and something most people did not think about:
YOur first line of emergency kit is your clothing. Carry proper weather protection, with insulation to last at night temperatures, and get them in bright color!
I lost count of how many people Ive seen in the mountains with dark/grayish/even camo clothes and equipment. If they are lost and you look for them in the helicopter, goog luck.
My backpack is bright red, my rainjacket is orange, my fleece is red and light blue.
Color weights nothing, but adds huge amount of safety.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%