Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cybertool M Carbon

Offline wengercollector

Cybertool M Carbon
on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:46 PM
The long time ago announced Cyber Tool M Carbon is finally available at the flagship stores.

Victorinox wanted to add this knife to the common product line. But they had sigificant problems with the producer of the carbon scales. The quality was not as expected. Sounds like the same story as the one with the Black Ice Scales. So finally, they had only 400 pieces and they sell/sold them only at the official flagship stores. They will not produce any more carbon scaled knives for a long time, I think thats for sure.

I like the knives very much. Not like the common carbon rectangular structure. The price is 240 $. So get them as long as they are available. Later, the price will raise incredibly...
k-IMG_6566fsd (115).JPG
* k-IMG_6566fsd (115).JPG (Filesize: 175.28 KB)
k-IMG_6566fsd (110).JPG
* k-IMG_6566fsd (110).JPG (Filesize: 325.76 KB)
k-IMG_6566fsd (109).JPG
* k-IMG_6566fsd (109).JPG (Filesize: 315.82 KB)
k-IMG_6566fsd (112).JPG
* k-IMG_6566fsd (112).JPG (Filesize: 156.42 KB)

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Re: Cybertool M Carbon
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:18:58 PM
What do you think of the quality?

Offline wengercollector

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:04:45 PM
The quality looks quite good. The surface is really smooth, they put some sort of finish on it I would say. But I never tested the knife out in the field :-)

The knives are not numbered, just limited. The production code is 1.7725.C

so Offline maxt

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:02:17 AM
I can't find anything online to buy me one. The only one on eBay is at 800 eur. That would be fair price for Black Beauty, but not for a piece released couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:22:18 AM by maxt »
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:33:10 AM
Pardon my french, but this is just another Cybertool (fantastic tool) with fancy scales. Textbook example of a pure "shelf queen" marketing product. I respect very much the guys who revere these knives and can afford to buy them, but I beg to differ. I need a knife I can use if want to.

IMHO, the best and most legitimate scales for a cybertool are made of recycled PCB - picture below shows an example of the work of a portugese collector/modder active on Ebay under the name Caepxy. I know he actuallly made a cybertool with PCB scales. Which is now in the hands of a
happy collector :)
Scoubidou.jpg
* Scoubidou.jpg (Filesize: 177.23 KB)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:38:12 AM by Ptisuisse »
Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:41:08 AM
Well carbon is used in electronics too...

And yes, just fancy scales...
But every set of fancy scales sells fast and there's a real fanbase for them. So why not?

Don't like it, don't buy it ;)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 07:27:46 PM
So even large companies have issues with 3rd party vendors eh... good to know its not just me.  :D

As for carbon fiber when its cost went down it became fashion to slap it on anything for no real reason other than to say you did.  For knife handles its silly to me as on a SAK they arent structural and the only benefit of carbon fiber is to make light structural shapes.  Ideal for car and bike parts etc. 

The carbon slabs I see sold at knifemaker sites are 90% resin with some carbon cloth in the center so essentially its plastic.  The Vic ones dont look like a standard weave in there at all it look random?  If they coated the scales in resin after forming thats actually the correct way to seal CF if it has any fibers that are exposed.  When people use the prefabbed slabs for knife scales and leave the little fibers at the surface level I think they are unaware that any contact with water will wick into that fiber over time and cause the CF to de-laminate.

So in general if people want it, make it, but I dont get it.  :D  I only have low level experience with building CF parts.  I made a CF bike frame a decade ago with layups around high density foam.  Ive never used it for knife parts.   :tu:  When I get asked if I make CF scales I write back, why do they want them, and noone ever knows...
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:34:24 PM
Well carbon is used in electronics too...

And yes, just fancy scales...
But every set of fancy scales sells fast and there's a real fanbase for them. So why not?

Don't like it, don't buy it ;)

Precisely - I quote my own post : "I respect very much the guys who revere these knives and can afford to buy them, but I beg to differ."

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 09:44:19 PM
Actually, there's one for sale in the Netherlands right now on a website called Marktplaats ("Marketplace').
It's not me selling it, and a don't know the seller either. No strings attached!

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/verzamelen/militaria-algemeen/m1311587990-victorinox-cyber-tool-m-carbon-editie.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:13:41 PM
:cheers:

so Offline maxt

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:25:49 PM
I need a knife I can use if want to.

Sorry, but we speak different languages.
I have had a knife to use 25 years ago. It was and it is the same old SwissChamp, somewhere near me, around my deck or my coach or else. I also use CT41 for travels, I use Gardner for my home gardening, 16 forged Vic knives, couple of regular Vic knives and a cooking fork in the kitchen. All other hudreds of units are for my hobby, which is purely collecting. I do not care at all about practical side of the knives I buy for shelf-life. I do care about their condition and rarity. I collect factory made SAKs. I know people may do amazing job improving aesthetics of a SAK, but that is outside of my collecting interest.

If we speak about practical side of a SAK, 1 (one) SwissChamp and 1 (one) CT41 cover 100% of all imaginable applictations. I really wonder why people spent time discussing 'practical side' and comparison of a huntsman vs camper, tinker vs supertinker. I never read those discussions and I have never cared.

This is why I am eager to find this Carbon CT41. Other than 125th anniversary edition there have not been any CT limited edition models.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:32:20 PM by maxt »
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

so Offline maxt

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 12:27:13 PM
Actually, there's one for sale in the Netherlands right now on a website called Marktplaats ("Marketplace').
When I clicked it had been already ended (((
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 05:56:43 PM
I saw someone place a bid of €300...

I don't know if it would be worth that to you.

so Offline maxt

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:05:26 PM
It definitely would...
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 07:07:43 PM
Not to me it wouldn´t. It doesn´t even have a saw.

so Offline maxt

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 08:14:25 PM
Ricardo.ch is rarely available to outside of Switzerland customers. Post wire as a payment method is only for Swiss collectors. I wonder why they still do not use paypal.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 10:06:19 PM

Oh sorry to hear it has ended. I put the auction ASAP on MTO.
It wasn't worth my 300 Euro, but that's maybe because I am too much on a budget. :facepalm:

You're right that Ricardo.ch is not very friendly for non-Swiss. Unfortunately, because a lot of specials are sold on Ricardo!

so Offline maxt

Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:08:35 PM
Why don't you do it on eBay? Gets more money with safe ways of PayPal and high rated buyers :)
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 08:56:43 AM
I need a knife I can use if want to.

Sorry, but we speak different languages.
I have had a knife to use 25 years ago. It was and it is the same old SwissChamp, somewhere near me, around my deck or my coach or else. I also use CT41 for travels, I use Gardner for my home gardening, 16 forged Vic knives, couple of regular Vic knives and a cooking fork in the kitchen. All other hudreds of units are for my hobby, which is purely collecting. I do not care at all about practical side of the knives I buy for shelf-life. I do care about their condition and rarity. I collect factory made SAKs. I know people may do amazing job improving aesthetics of a SAK, but that is outside of my collecting interest.

If we speak about practical side of a SAK, 1 (one) SwissChamp and 1 (one) CT41 cover 100% of all imaginable applictations. I really wonder why people spent time discussing 'practical side' and comparison of a huntsman vs camper, tinker vs supertinker. I never read those discussions and I have never cared.

This is why I am eager to find this Carbon CT41. Other than 125th anniversary edition there have not been any CT limited edition models.
That is what MTO/Swiss Army Knights is all about. Different people, different countries, different interests, different ways of collecting.
Our approach and sensivity are different, but both are equally respectable. We DO speak different languages, but share a common interest.

Happy collecting.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:58:12 AM by Ptisuisse »

so Offline maxt

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 01:02:32 PM
I wonder how many SAK collectors are there. The people that do not EDC one of a dozen SAKs, but have extensive collections?

I calculate that it is more than 400 and less than 1000 worldwide.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 03:39:43 PM
The Facebook collectors page has over 10.000 members...

so Offline maxt

Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 03:50:24 PM
I am member of that group and the number of collectors posting or commenting is relatively small. Within my evaluation )
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 03:58:03 PM
True, but the amount of posts made by someone does not indicate their amount of interest and collection size.

Even here there are people with huge collections who wish to keep that quiet.

so Offline maxt

Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 04:36:44 PM
I agree, but we can elaborate on the number from different angles, some people that have huge collections may not even join social networks and forums. My guess ~1200 includes those people.

The total run of Carbon CT is 400 and it is gone. The limited series of Victorinox, calculated by thousands, are available for years. EG Damast 2010 is 2010pcs and it is highly sought but still is sold in aftermarket here and there. 2013 LE Damast is 5000 pcs and they still have it in retail shops.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

so Offline maxt

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 07:49:20 PM
Another marginal trade board
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 10:58:43 PM
Maxt, I sent you a PM.

so Offline maxt

Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 10:06:41 PM
Thanks for your help!

Today I have received this cool (coal) guy.

Here are some fresh pics. I was surprised it came in the old Wenger-ish style with films on the scales

The CT makes a very interesting feeling in hands, the texture is warm and visually very deep, with particles shining here and there. It reminded me Mother of Pearl and Horn scales they used years ago. The scales not only lack the toothpick and tweezers, the pin hole is missing too, though it is there in all other artifitial type of Vic scales.

The box also looks fantastic. It is a pity they did not number this SAK nor included any info about 'limited' status. It gives me some doubts of the future Carbon release.
_DSC_1974.jpg
* _DSC_1974.jpg (Filesize: 285.42 KB)
_DSC_1972.jpg
* _DSC_1972.jpg (Filesize: 312.04 KB)
_DSC_1973.jpg
* _DSC_1973.jpg (Filesize: 256.95 KB)
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 12:10:37 AM
That is what MTO/Swiss Army Knights is all about. Different people, different countries, different interests, different ways of collecting.
Our approach and sensivity are different, but both are equally respectable. We DO speak different languages, but share a common interest.

Happy collecting.

:iagree:

I for one have like zero interest in collecting, nevertheless i respect and admire the ones who have the patience and resources to build huge and admirable collections. It's a passion just like any other.  :cheers:

I'm remembering one time i went to the Vic national importer to get some parts, at the time the "year of the rooster" huntsman was released, first one to get to the country... The woman there shoed it to me (she always gets a free copy of every SE for her self cause she works there), and there was also a guy there that collects, and they where just drooling over it... I'm just like... Ok... The scales are nice, but its just another huntsman... If you pop the scales and put on some normal ones, what's the difference...?
They just looked at me like i was an alien or something.....  :rofl:

Of course i gave them the same look back when they told me the price...  :rofl: 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:13:19 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%