Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

faster DNS? 1.1.1.1

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
faster DNS? 1.1.1.1
on: December 27, 2019, 07:47:55 PM
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy for fellow Canadian tech video blog (which I am, his videos are entertaining and informative), this seems to be very true and works great for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnvrjgyEMc

or just go directly for instructions:

https://1.1.1.1/dns/
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Re: faster DNS? 1.1.1.1
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 10:03:05 PM
Add 1.0.0.1 as a backup!!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:21:02 AM
yes, that's the secondary.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:09:10 PM
  Thanks. Will give that a go. Have been using OpenDNS but stuff was getting slow.

-----

What I really need is an extended wifi device to connect to a wireless access point, and can aggressively dominate the Roku, Firestick, and XBox'ers as theya re literally killing our community access point. The Landlord created it for his tenants and guests that stay in trailers.

Even though EVERYONE has cable TV hookup, the idiots here stream over wifi almost 24/7. So for those of us who use the internet for internet activities are lagged out in the 4K range, and if that fails the wireless access point starts timing us out - which basically means Denial of Service attacks.

Personally think the main Xbox'er has hacked the router, as even the landlord could not access it anymore. Problem it the wifi router/access point sits up on a tower that has to be painstakingly removed to reset it - not an easy task, especially in the winter months.

My wireless access is a Dell DW1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN for PCI Express card, with an external antenna. Can pick up even the weakest signal and use it, or used to be able to. At the time it was considered the best on the market, created by Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.

And the Wireless Access Point is a branded SMC Networks In. although I do not know its model number. Do know that its software is outdated and has been known to been exploited. The landlord put it up on his own money after having many other routers is, and thinks it "should just work" and it is not a priority unless someone else complains. They got tired of listening to me.

Had tried a HomeScreen and that worked tremendously better for about 24 hours, then something happened and it ended up a POS.

So am thinking I need a newer network extender, with external antennas since I live in a trailer. Have a alrge bay window that I hang my antenna from, get a really good signal, and comes with software to allow me to test, reset, and see what's going on.

A typical day am averaging 3K+ lost packets, mostly sent that are lost. Received seem to be minimal.

While the best thing to do is having my own internet, here internet is $80+ a month, plus rental or having one's own router. I cannot afford that. Had a budget cable at one time till that got ditched. Meant 3GB for the entire month on prime time, and unlimited after midnight and before 8am.

In the past 3 years Roku has dominated the routers, there are two of them. Someone using a Belkin Extender (MAC C0:56:27:D9:BC:B4) has dominated the internet. They can DoS anyone in the intranet. Not sure how, unless they hacked the router, but when they are streaming might as well kiss the internet goodbye. And while most anyone can go out and physically unplug the router to reset it, it does not do any good as the device it there laying in wait. Past the Roku, the XBox guy kills the access point. Not sure what these two devices do, but they often leave the router down from whatever they do, and someone has to physcially reset the router. And while that one is down they are on the other router doing the exact same thing - and that one kicks everyone offline, resets, and the idiots are back controlling/dominating the intranet. Have even seen the Belkin Range Extended hooked to multiple IP addresses across both routers. - That does not increase their speed, but decreases loss. Yet they still do it.

So I need to acquire an even more aggressive range extender that can dominate anything else hooked up online, or give them a fair run for the bandwidth. The so-called experts I've talked with don't have any suggestions as they are more corporate than personal.

Sorry for the long winded post. I also use Advanced Port Scanner, which is free, to see what's going on. When the router/access point unit is being dominated, and I run this port scanner, I get timed out - as I have to ping the access point in order to maintain any chance of use - otherwise my wifi gets booted offline.

And I use Connectify on my wireless card to allow my devices to share the source. But if the source is dominated I'm at the mercy of brief periods. And what used to take a few hours during the day now takes hours. So I end up using the iphone to surf the web. :\
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%