Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Detron's Calculator Experience, or even more proof I am a nerd

detron · 408 · 16469

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
those are great!   I love the Commodore!   
that Casio CQ-2 is very unique.

thanks for the pictures
Thank you,  detron!
The Commodore is a neat one. 6-digit led  and very strange to use. :salute:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
got this at a Thrift store for $2.  uses a 9 Volt battery, but it works just fine!  this is from the mid to late 70s.  there is a bubble magnifier for each digit

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline detron

a couple of random Casios

• Zombie Apprentice
got this at a Thrift store for $2.  uses a 9 Volt battery, but it works just fine!  this is from the mid to late 70s.  there is a bubble magnifier for each digit

Nice! I love led display calculators. I find them easy to use! I have a datamath 2500 somewhere I used as my main calculator for years. It has a similar keypad layout as your 91PM. :)

Oh, this will get it back up to snuff. :cheers:
https://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Silver-0-5-Fluid/dp/B00081G2HG

Edit: that fx-250d looks just like the fx-250c I posted. Nice!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:41:20 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline detron

this little guy was 10 cents at a yard sale

us Offline detron

Nice! I love led display calculators. I find them easy to use! I have a datamath 2500 somewhere I used as my main calculator for years. It has a similar keypad layout as your 91PM. :)

Oh, this will get it back up to snuff. :cheers:
https://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Silver-0-5-Fluid/dp/B00081G2HG

Edit: that fx-250d looks just like the fx-250c I posted. Nice!

thanks for the heads up on the amazon link.  I will check that out

I too noticed how similar the 250c and d were.

Datamath huh?  have you been to datamath.org?   lots of info there

us Offline detron

I am a fan of Vacuum Florescent displays.

got this hand held printing calculator at a thrift store for $3

• Zombie Apprentice
Very neat. I like the brightness on that Canon display. I always have a hard time distinguishing between vacuum fluorescent and early LED(without looking it up). I thought the bubble mag you pictured was an led sandwich display. :ahhh

us Offline detron

Very neat. I like the brightness on that Canon display. I always have a hard time distinguishing between vacuum fluorescent and early LED(without looking it up). I thought the bubble mag you pictured was an led sandwich display. :ahhh

the only reason I know the Canon display is Vacuum florescent is I looked up the info on the calculator when I got it.
you may be right on the bubble mag, I know nothing about that display.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Cool thread detron.   :tu:   :like:

us Offline detron

You can thank Grant for nudging me to put this here.   but thanks, glad others enjoy it

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
I am sure I will have more to come,  I seem to have a problem, that most MTO types would understand.   :rofl:

:facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline detron

I am sure I will have more to come,  I seem to have a problem, that most MTO types would understand.   :rofl:

:facepalm:

:rofl:

not sure which is more embarrassing,  having 72 calculators, or the fact that I made a spreadsheet that auto-tally's my totals by brand and type, and sums in multiple directions.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
I have a TI-85 that got me through college and is still my primary calculator at work (Engineering, now management). I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

I still have a periodic table card glued into the cover from chemistry...
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Smurfing nerd!!

Just kidding buddy. I think I’m just jealous that your so much smarter than me.  :D

I remember my brother having a Texas Instrament calculator when he was in high school. He left for collage and I stole his calculator. Sad part is I had no idea how to use it at the time. I’m a dummy. Lol.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

Smurfing nerd!!

Just kidding buddy. I think I’m just jealous that your so much smarter than me.  :D

I remember my brother having a Texas Instrament calculator when he was in high school. He left for collage and I stole his calculator. Sad part is I had no idea how to use it at the time. I’m a dummy. Lol.

having calculators does not make me smart, doing math without them on the other hand.......

us Offline detron

I have a TI-85 that got me through college and is still my primary calculator at work (Engineering, now management). I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

I still have a periodic table card glued into the cover from chemistry...

the 85 is an amazing calculator.  I have 3 of them, and mess around with them all the time

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
I'll play....

HP-41C
IMG_0467.JPG
* IMG_0467.JPG (Filesize: 181.56 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
HP-12C
IMG_0465.JPG
* IMG_0465.JPG (Filesize: 178.1 KB)
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
HP-16Bll?
IMG_0464.JPG
* IMG_0464.JPG (Filesize: 135.39 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:18:48 AM by Yadda »

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
HP-17Bll
IMG_0463.JPG
* IMG_0463.JPG (Filesize: 169.38 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
TI - BAll Plus
IMG_0466.JPG
* IMG_0466.JPG (Filesize: 184.29 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:22:24 AM by Yadda »

us Offline detron

I'll play....

HP-41C

that 41C is a beauty!     nice!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
I was off by 1 digit, it's an HP-16C.
6252018132139.jpg
* 6252018132139.jpg (Filesize: 141.79 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:34:33 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures

You can thank Grant for nudging me to put this here.   but thanks, glad others enjoy it

You were already doing these posts on Facebook, I just felt that the info you were sharing was wasted on a site that really isn't easily searchable.  :D

I found your FB posts so fascinating that I am glad I convinced you to post them here too.  I will admit that I never really thought too much about calculators, much the same way most people probably don't think about folding plier tools.  Calculators never really existed in my mind, at least as a thing of any importance.  If you needed a calculator, you just went and got one, no big deal.  Different models (and an appreciation thereof) rarely, if ever were part of the equation.

I also assumed that once PDA's like the original Palm Pilot came out in the mid 90's, calculators were a thing of the past.  Then even more so with the Smart Phone Revolution.  It wasn't until recently that I learned that these kinds of things aren't allowed for college/university students during tests, and so the calculator-fu is still strong.

It's also funny to me that I never paid much attention to them, as they were always something of a thing of reverence in my family.  My mother has an accounting/bookkeeping background and in the late 60's or early 70's she and my father saved up for a calculator for her.  I have no idea what kind if was off the top of my head, but I know at the time it was quite an investment, and I don't believe it did much more than the most basic of functions.  I seem to recall that it had either a red or green 7 segment readout.  I honestly can't recall- I can vividly picture both colors, so maybe there was another one too?

Then in the early/mid 80's my father got a calculator for subscribing to Time Magazine, and he carried it everywhere and used it constantly.  I am sure wherever it is today, all of the buttons are worn off of it.  I couldn't appreciate it at the time, but it was about the size of a credit card, although much thicker, and originally came in a leatherette foldover wallet case, held in by the clear 80's rubber/plastic strap seen in the TI Business Analyst model Alex posted above.

Anyone who lived through the 80's and survived knows those little rubber straps usually didn't last too long, and have often been stuck back down with electrical tape, replaced by rubber bands of just ripped off and forgotten about!

I'm glad you agreed to share this here too Detron, and it is so cool seeing the additions (no pun intended!) from everyone else too!

Fascinating stuff!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
I'll play....

HP-41C

In the early to mid 80's the 41C, 41CV, and 41CVX were considered to be some of the best programmable calculators available for engineering students if you had the ready cash to buy one.  I didn't, but years (decades) later, I saw someone giving one away on Freecycle.  He was so intent on making sure it received a good home he met me 10 miles from his house. I also have the owner's manual.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Here's my TI-85
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline detron

I was off by 1 digit, it's an HP-16C.

that is even more rare!

us Offline detron

I'll play....

HP-41C

In the early to mid 80's the 41C, 41CV, and 41CVX were considered to be some of the best programmable calculators available for engineering students if you had the ready cash to buy one.  I didn't, but years (decades) later, I saw someone giving one away on Freecycle.  He was so intent on making sure it received a good home he met me 10 miles from his house. I also have the owner's manual.

that is awesome!

us Offline detron

Here's my TI-85

One of mine looks just like that, there were some minor changes in where the "85 was located on the front.  I will photo the differences and post them tonight if I can

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD