Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Detron's Calculator Experience, or even more proof I am a nerd

detron · 408 · 16431

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
I am sure I will have more to come,  I seem to have a problem, that most MTO types would understand.   :rofl:

:facepalm:

:rofl:

not sure which is more embarrassing,  having 72 calculators, or the fact that I made a spreadsheet that auto-tally's my totals by brand and type, and sums in multiple directions.

Cross checking sums is the hallmark of good spreadsheet. I refuse to log my tools. I don't want that level of evidence to be found when I am eventually confronted.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
I am sure I will have more to come,  I seem to have a problem, that most MTO types would understand.   :rofl:

:facepalm:

:rofl:

not sure which is more embarrassing,  having 72 calculators, or the fact that I made a spreadsheet that auto-tally's my totals by brand and type, and sums in multiple directions.

Cross checking sums is the hallmark of good spreadsheet. I refuse to log my tools. I don't want that level of evidence to be found when I am eventually confronted.

solid logic there.   :rofl:  might have a point   :whistle:
If I can help, let me know 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
those graphing calculators would have been great when I was at DeVry... but they only allowed us a TI-68 :think: I still have it somewhere, and it still works fine. :facepalm:

edit: nope, it's a TI-34
IMG_20180725_213125344_LL.jpg
* IMG_20180725_213125344_LL.jpg (Filesize: 91.55 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:33:37 PM by Whoey »
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers

Nice.  :rofl:

Good thinking though. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline detron

those graphing calculators would have been great when I was at DeVry... but they only allowed us a TI-68 :think: I still have it somewhere, and it still works fine. :facepalm:

edit: nope, it's a TI-34

I have one that looks like that.  those are cool.   

PS
I have a TI-68 as well, that is a beast considering it is not a graphing type.  has a 2nd, 3rd, Alpha, AND Inverse.   a lot of shift keys!   :rofl:

us Offline detron

Here is a 1993 TI-85 (Left) and a 1997 TI-85 (Right)

notice the location of the "85" and the ti logo.

also, notice the difference in size of the numbers on the number keys

• Zombie Apprentice
Wrestled around with some boxes in my workshop. Found my favorite calculator! When I had my apartment, I used this to do all my checking balance, bills, and taxes. :)
The Texas Instruments Datamath 2500. :)
20180725_182724-1.jpeg
* 20180725_182724-1.jpeg (Filesize: 194.65 KB)
20180725_182657-1.jpeg
* 20180725_182657-1.jpeg (Filesize: 201.6 KB)
20180725_182557-1.jpeg
* 20180725_182557-1.jpeg (Filesize: 85.6 KB)
20180725_182519-1.jpeg
* 20180725_182519-1.jpeg (Filesize: 85.64 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline detron

Wrestled around with some boxes in my workshop. Found my favorite calculator! When I had my apartment, I used this to do all my checking balance, bills, and taxes. :)
The Texas Instruments Datamath 2500. :)

very nice!   that is a beauty!

I hope to run across one one day.  it is not my main area of focus, but the vintage ones really seem awesome in their own right

• Zombie Apprentice
Thank you, detron! :cheers:

The Scientific calculators are quite awesome. I am thinking about finding an older HP scientific at some point. I really like the style.

The 2500 is a pretty cool piece. It takes 4xAA batteries, which is great for modern use. Although, somewhere else, I have the power adapter for it. The original rechargeable batteries were too corroded to keep, but it can take modern rechargeables as well. I am always amazed at how well the early technology holds up. One day, I'll pull out my TI Portable PC (color version early 80s suitcase style) and take some photos. The MFM drive still works and boots Norton Commander.  :)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><

That makes sense. I probably bought mine in 1997, that's the year of graduated high school and went to college. Thanks for the info :tu:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline detron

The Scientific calculators are quite awesome. I am thinking about finding an older HP scientific at some point. I really like the style.

The 2500 is a pretty cool piece. It takes 4xAA batteries, which is great for modern use. Although, somewhere else, I have the power adapter for it. The original rechargeable batteries were too corroded to keep, but it can take modern rechargeables as well. I am always amazed at how well the early technology holds up. One day, I'll pull out my TI Portable PC (color version early 80s suitcase style) and take some photos. The MFM drive still works and boots Norton Commander.  :)

that TI portable PC sounds amazing! 

and yes, the older style HP scientific calculators are amazing,  just be mindful, RPN is different, but once learned, it is great.

us Offline detron

That makes sense. I probably bought mine in 1997, that's the year of graduated high school and went to college. Thanks for the info :tu:

no problem.

• Zombie Apprentice

and yes, the older style HP scientific calculators are amazing,  just be mindful, RPN is different, but once learned, it is great.
Thanks for the heads-up, detron! Fortunately, I won't be using the HP (even though I will want it to work properly), at least not for anything more than basic stuff. :)
I'll drag the TIPPC out at some point and post about it. Then my nerd level will be close to yours. :D
Thanks again for posting your calculators, detron! I forgot how much I enjoyed vintage technology until I looked at your complex-function calculator collection.  :cheers:

us Offline detron

Thanks for the heads-up, detron! Fortunately, I won't be using the HP (even though I will want it to work properly), at least not for anything more than basic stuff. :)
I'll drag the TIPPC out at some point and post about it. Then my nerd level will be close to yours. :D
Thanks again for posting your calculators, detron! I forgot how much I enjoyed vintage technology until I looked at your complex-function calculator collection.  :cheers:

I was posting this stuff to Facebook,  no replies   :facepalm:   it is nice to have people share interest and add to the conversation.

I do happen to have two 1993 "TigerSoftware" (Later became TigerDirect) catalogs.  they are about 65 pages each, and full of listings like "MultiSpin CDR 74 CD-ROM Reader  ......$725.00"
or "$600 flatbed scanners"

it is a trip down  :facepalm: memory lane

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
I do happen to have two 1993 "TigerSoftware" (Later became TigerDirect) catalogs.  they are about 65 pages each, and full of listings like "MultiSpin CDR 74 CD-ROM Reader  ......$725.00"

I have some old receipts from that era, when I got my 2x CD writer (not DVD!) and blanks were about $10+ tax

My TI-34 dates from mid 90s too, so it's now 25 years old.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures

I have some old receipts from that era, when I got my 2x CD writer (not DVD!) and blanks were about $10+ tax

If I recall your failure rate for those CD blanks was what, one in three?

I can't even recall the last time I saw a CD, let alone used one for anything.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice

I can't even recall the last time I saw a CD, let alone used one for anything.   :facepalm:

Def
sometimes worse, sometimes better.

I have a spindle of 50 blank DVDs on my desk that I haven't touched in years, it's about half empty, but I haven't needed one for ages as I usually just dump to USB stick. Really should use a few to make some offline backups of photos etc.

us Offline detron

Def

I have a spindle of 50 blank DVDs on my desk that I haven't touched in years, it's about half empty, but I haven't needed one for ages as I usually just dump to USB stick. Really should use a few to make some offline backups of photos etc.

I purchased a Network Attached storage (This one) with RAID5 and never looked back.

any hard drive that dies can be replaced and the data re-written based on the parity of the other drives.
this is a great peace of mind, and I can access it from anywhere in my house.  (I turned off the remote access features)

• Zombie Apprentice
I still burn audio CDs for my car.  :facepalm:

us Offline detron

I burn data CDs and DVDs all the time.  I like optical for my "off-site" backups.
I listen to audiobooks if I am in the car alone, but when others are in the car, I listen to CDs

• Zombie Apprentice
Glad I'm not alone. :like:
I used my first CD burner, bought in 1999 (4x2x40), until 6 years ago. And I only got a new one (dvd burner), because the new computer I built didn't have an IDE port built in into the motherboard. :rofl:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures

When I bought my Jeep in early 2013 I played a CD and a DVD in it just to see how it worked.  I haven't put a disc in it since, and I don't think I have any of either in this house- maybe in my garage in Halifax, but that's a thousand miles away. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"

Me2. My old 1998 Volvo doesn't have USB ports, iPod connectors or Spotify. I still use the 6CD-changer  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline detron

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!

Def

I purchased a Network Attached storage (This one) with RAID5 and never looked back.

any hard drive that dies can be replaced and the data re-written based on the parity of the other drives.
this is a great peace of mind, and I can access it from anywhere in my house.  (I turned off the remote access features)
We’ve got one of those too.

But no off-site backups.....
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline detron

not buying it,  but cool that it has my name on it   :rofl:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DETRON-Electronic-Calculator-Digital-VFD-Display-WITH-BOX-New-old-stock-/173416718350?oid=183178629105
You need that. :pok:
Would make an epic avatar. :D

I may NEED it, but I am not willing to spend that much on it.  I downloaded the picture from the listing   :whistle:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

Wow. Sort of makes me sorry that I gave away my old 90's Radio Shack graphing calculator and a Casio colour graphing calculator. I did buy a Ti 84 + CE just recently. I still have some old calculators hanging around in storage somewhere.  :think:

I remember walking into a new computer shop back in the early 80s and drooling over the simple LED calculators on display...but not the prices. I remember they were quite high at the time.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:28:54 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline detron

Wow. Sort of makes me sorry that I gave away my old 90's Radio Shack graphing calculator and a Casio colour graphing calculator. I did buy a Ti 84 + CE just recently. I still have some old calculators hanging around in storage somewhere.  :think:

I remember walking into a new computer shop back in the early 80s and drooling over the simple LED calculators on display...but not the prices. I remember they were quite high at the time.

getting a praise gif from Chako is like having Bobby Fischer tell you you are good at chess. 

I keep telling Texas Instruments that when they give the TI-89 the same treatment as the 84 + CE, then I am going to buy one right away.

us Offline detron

for a standard algebraic, non-graphing, non-programmable calculator, this is pretty sweet.  (and around $20)

the Casio fx-991EX Classwiz

the screen is fairly high res.

once you do some work, you can generate a QR code, scan it with your phone, and get the problem, and equation on your phone, and a graph if one is suitable.

here is the result on my phone

the site has a nice little preview of the features
Click here

and here is a writeup by someone else
http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2015/11/casio-fx-991ex-classwiz-review.html

I attached the manual, if you are curious
* fx-570_991EX_EN.pdf (Filesize: 924.14 KB)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:00:29 AM by detron »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44