Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kutmaster Club - Fixed Plier MTs

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Kutmaster Club - Fixed Plier MTs
on: July 25, 2018, 03:19:09 AM
I could not find a club for Kutmaster fixed-plier multi tools. Not one for the U.S. MultiMaster, CAT, Proto, etc; or the China-Made WrenchHead, Realtree, etc.

Lets see your Kutmaster made/licensed multi tools! :multi:

My small assortment(left to right). Kutmaster Wrench-Head(China), Kutmaster Team RealTree(China), MultiMaster(U.S) by Kutmaster Needle-Nose, and MultiMaster(U.S) by Kutmaster Blunt-Nose.
20180723_043319-1.jpeg
* 20180723_043319-1.jpeg (Filesize: 104.52 KB)
20180723_043714-1.jpeg
* 20180723_043714-1.jpeg (Filesize: 216.99 KB)
20180723_043653-1.jpeg
* 20180723_043653-1.jpeg (Filesize: 205.02 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Kutmaster Club - Fixed Plier MTs
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 03:26:47 AM
These guys have intrigued me for awhile now GMan.  How do you like yours?
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:39:11 AM
To be honest. Compared to modern MTs, they are lacking. But, with that said, the MultiMasters are very good multi tools. The benefit of the MM is that there really isn't much to go wrong. No bells and whistles though. The tool loadout is reasonable, with a decent PE blade, fair SE blade, o.k. saw, large usable file (two sided), and can opener(that can be used as a bottle opener).  The pliers are quite good and what the tool is best relied upon for.
The China style tools aren't good at all, compared to the U.S. made MultiMaster.
The 1/4" bit magnetic driver in the plier handle is fairly good, but you'll have to carry a few bits in the sheath. The sheath does come with a 4-bit holder and a couple of bit.
It is very old-school, so keep that in mind if you plan to carry it. :cheers:

Edit: the handle has a bar that goes into a slot on the tools to lock them in place when they are deployed. A very ingenious and simple system for keeping the tools in place. I wouldn't pay the $60 MSRP for the MultiMaster, but you can find the needle-nose version brand new on ebay for <$30 sometimes. Well worth that. :tu:
20180724_203304-1.jpeg
* 20180724_203304-1.jpeg (Filesize: 100.25 KB)
20180724_203330-1.jpeg
* 20180724_203330-1.jpeg (Filesize: 115.24 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:43:01 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 03:47:35 AM
 :salute:. Thanks GMan!  They looked pretty much bullet proof. 
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:50:43 AM
:salute:. Thanks GMan!  They looked pretty much bullet proof.
:cheers: Anytime.
That is an excellent way to put it!  :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:35:11 PM
I have only one, Chinese made

I don't know about other versions of the tool, but this post of yours, GLBM:

The 1/4" bit magnetic driver in the plier handle is fairly good, but you'll have to carry a few bits in the sheath. The sheath does come with a 4-bit holder and a couple of bit.

Edit: the handle has a bar that goes into a slot on the tools to lock them in place when they are deployed.

made me think,  ???
as in my tool the handle that doesn't have the wrench cutouts (that is, the handle without the tools and with the bit driver at the bottom) has also a tab in it, that opens and leaves space inside the hollow handle for storing 3 bits  :think:, which is where I carry them  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:43:17 PM
Thank you for the reply and picture, TP, :cheers:

That is one of the cool things about the Chinese versions. The bit storage in the handle. I see yours is branded "Skil". Very cool. The MultiMasters have solid, heavy duty handles, but the down side is there is no onboard bit storage. But, the bit slot in still in the end of the pliers handle.

TP, how are the wire cutters on the Skil version? Both of my Chinese tools, the Wrench Head and RealTree have cutters that don't really work on much. Maybe stout bailing wire, but they just bend electrical wire on mine. :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:44:28 PM by gerleatherberman »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 01:17:23 PM
Thank you for the reply and picture, TP, :cheers:

TP, how are the wire cutters on the Skil version? Both of my Chinese tools, the Wrench Head and RealTree have cutters that don't really work on much. Maybe stout bailing wire, but they just bend electrical wire on mine. :ahhh

they are "meh" or not even that.  :P

I tried to cut a few thicker paper clips with them, resulting in bends most of the times instead of cuts,
they are bad in all truth  :facepalm: at least mine  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 03:15:11 PM
If you get a chance, order one of the U.S. made MultiMaster tools. They make the Chinese made Kutmasters look pretty silly. Plus, it is pretty old-school.  :)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 01:48:15 PM
If you get a chance, order one of the U.S. made MultiMaster tools. They make the Chinese made Kutmasters look pretty silly. Plus, it is pretty old-school.  :)

that's for sure,  ::)
like most MTs (SOGs, Gerbers, Schrade Tough...) the American versions do shine when compared to the overseas prpduced ones  :salute:
My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:18:32 PM

that's for sure,  ::)
like most MTs (SOGs, Gerbers, Schrade Tough...) the American versions do shine when compared to the overseas prpduced ones  :salute:
It amazes me that the Chinese can produce great MTs, like the WorkPro HD and Ganzo 301, but big companies refuse to have those excellent companies produce their outsourced MTs.
If the new Schrades and MultiMasters werw made like the Chinese Workpro HD and Ganzo stuff, they would be great. As it stands, they seem to be o.k. with outsourcing great tools to the point, the tools are junk. :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 03:23:54 AM
Added an older MultiMaster to the group of KutMasters. I like the finer tip pliers a lot. The overall feel is less refined, but has a nice hand-made feel. Everything looks and feels hand-finished. Very cool. Pictured with the newer NN and BN MultiMasters.
20180801_195948-1.jpeg
* 20180801_195948-1.jpeg (Filesize: 136.77 KB)
20180801_200132-1.jpeg
* 20180801_200132-1.jpeg (Filesize: 133.47 KB)
20180801_200456-1.jpeg
* 20180801_200456-1.jpeg (Filesize: 140.04 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 03:25:00 AM
Old and new NN implements. Very close!
20180801_200742-1.jpeg
* 20180801_200742-1.jpeg (Filesize: 190.23 KB)
20180801_200827-1.jpeg
* 20180801_200827-1.jpeg (Filesize: 173.62 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:05 AM
Here is my Husky knockoff set. Saved my bacon a few times.
IMG_0519.JPG
* IMG_0519.JPG (Filesize: 146.86 KB)
IMG_0520.JPG
* IMG_0520.JPG (Filesize: 154.92 KB)
IMG_0521.JPG
* IMG_0521.JPG (Filesize: 115.82 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 07:24:31 AM
Very cool, Yadda! :like:

Thank you for sharing that  :cheers:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 12:08:42 PM
Here is my Husky knockoff set. Saved my bacon a few times.

That is actually quite a neat set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:15 PM
I love that husky set! I'll be on the lookout for one of those now :)

Hey, has anyone else seen the Garrity Hammer Tool on ebay? They look just like Multimaster tools in a hammer format. Dunno if they were made by Kutmaster or just the factory or what, but might be worth a grab for a collector. Or if you want cheap donor to mod a Wrench Head with a saw and can opener...

Charles.
s-l1600 (3).jpg
* s-l1600 (3).jpg (Filesize: 75.26 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 01:45:41 AM
The tools do look like the ones in a Kutmaster. Interesting. I'm on a buying hiatus this week, so someone else will have to buy one of the two listed. :ahhh

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 06:20:32 AM
Just noticed this thread and figured I'd post a question here; does anyone else's needle nose Multimaster (US made) have pliers that don't quite touch? Mine are a hair apart when closed.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 04:28:25 AM
Neither of my NN U.S. models(early one and late one) or the BN have that issue. But, I believe I read someone on MT.o had that issue before, but I cannot recall who.  :think:

Is the "lockbar" seating all the way into the lock-notches of the tools? There are several solutions to the issue without having to send it back to Kutmaster. I would worry what they'd send back would be worse. Their quality is in serious decline as they push the Chinese Kutmasters.  :facepalm:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 11:29:19 AM
Yeah, that would be my concern with sending it in. It's such a tank of a MT, it'd be awfully lame to replace it with a chintzy outsourced version.

As far as I can tell there's no obvious cause for the issue. The arm appears to seat just as it's supposed to. It isn't a major problem anyway. About the only thing it can't grip is a sheet of paper, so I can live with it if there's no easy fix.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 02:59:00 PM
I was thinking maybe you could file a tiny bit off of the lock bar. Just a smidgen of course to allow the solid handle to be closer to the tool-filled handle.
Does yours look like it could spare a little filing of the lockbar?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 11:32:12 PM
I was thinking maybe you could file a tiny bit off of the lock bar. Just a smidgen of course to allow the solid handle to be closer to the tool-filled handle.
Does yours look like it could spare a little filing of the lockbar?

That just might do it. There's plenty of clearance between the handles after all. I just have to be careful not to take too much off, or make it a weird angle. Yeah, think I'll try that sometime soon. Thanks for the idea, G-man.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 12:36:55 AM
And then "sometime soon" turned out to be almost immediately, because I just got done filing away at the bar.

And it worked! I didn't even botch it up and ruin the whole thing  :woohoo:  :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 02:17:22 AM
Good work, WoodsDuck! :like:
Glad it worked out well.  :salute:

I really like the U.S. Kutmaster MultiMasters. But, it is saddening that the quality control is being compromised now. I hope Kutmaster fixes the issues, but I won't be holding my breath. :(

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:58 PM
Nice thread  :tu:

I had also one - pics coming soon.

Im looking for pics of the first production run (NIB) - I saw an very early model and I want to check if it’s one the first models...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 10:47:39 PM
I have never seen a first run in the box. I have never seen an early one with packing. :dunno:

The older MMs had finer tips on the NN pliers than the newer ones. It's probably worth buying if it has fine tips and is NIB..IMO.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:49:16 PM by gerleatherberman »

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 09:34:06 AM
I have never seen a first run in the box. I have never seen an early one with packing. :dunno:

The older MMs had finer tips on the NN pliers than the newer ones. It's probably worth buying if it has fine tips and is NIB..IMO.

I thought for hours about it  :pok:

The problem is that they are expensive in Germany- around 50 Euro.

We will see next week - I’m planning a trademeeting next week. I have the chance for some rare Vic’s, a Gerber 650, some Wengers, old Kershaw knives and the NIB MM. Maybe I can get one.

I will later post a MM-pic with some rarity- a german user manual.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2018, 01:25:37 PM
Very cool. Good luck with getting other gems there, CeHo. :cheers:

Looking forward to see the MM with German packaging :popcorn:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:32 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62