Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hammer multi tool

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Hammer multi tool
on: July 26, 2018, 03:38:30 AM
Yeah, yeah. I know. Hammer multi tools suck. They're stupid.

For the most part, you're right. I bought this one because I wanted the can opener combo tool out of it for a custom plier tool I'm building. Turns out it's a dash too long, so fudge. However, as it happens I decided to give this tool a bit of use, and I must say I'm impressed. As a light-duty around-the-house hammer, or even a take-camping-to-pound-tent-stakes-into-carolina-clay, it's not a bad choice.

It hammers. I went out to the wood pile and beat the smurf out of some wood. Beat some nails in, pulled some nails out, and just generally gave the hammer a beating doing hammer things. It survived. It wasn't great at hammering framing nails. But it did it. It wasn't great at removing framing nails. But it managed that too. Smaller nails it did exceptionally with. At the end of all this, the hammer head was still tight, the rivets still tight, and nothing was bent. I ker-PLOWIE!-ed the smurf out of some of that wood. Two-handed overhead arc like I was killing an orc with a battle axe. And it survived it without a blemish.

The tools are decent. The blade seems pretty okay. It cuts paper very easily. the can opener tool works well to open cans and bottles. The small serrated area is sharp, but too pointy, and ends up snagging paracord instead of cutting it. Works well to saw cardboard, though. The wood saw is okay. Not Victorinox quality by any means, but it will do a decent job on an oak branch. The phillips is well-formed and does a good job on all the household screws I've tried it on. Hinges, doorknobs, and bash plates mostly. The handle metal is far, far thicker than the metal on all the plier-style multi tools and similar hammer multi tools.

In short... it's in my junk drawer now. I have been without a small hammer for a while, and this works exceptionally well for light duty picture-hanging and other indoor hammering tasks. Plus the can opener is fast and pretty comfortable to use, and I am always in need of a decent phillips screwdriver. So yeah, this is a win. They're also cheap, so that's a double-win.

Charles.
s-l500 (1).jpg
* s-l500 (1).jpg (Filesize: 36.84 KB)
s-l500.jpg
* s-l500.jpg (Filesize: 35.65 KB)

• No Life Club
Re: Hammer multi tool
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:40:14 AM
To be clear, my junk drawer is where I store screws, nails, orphaned screwdrivers, electrical tape, packing tape, matches, spare bulbs for the fence lighting, and other such detritus. Being stowed in the junk drawer is a GOOD thing. :)

Charles.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:10:21 AM
I did a thread called "MT Hammer - Can Touch This". It went over like a lead balloon. I have four of them. Three are the pliers/claw hammer(2 big and 1 smaller) and one is a hatchet-hammer(no plier feature).
I find them neat to throw in the glove box, tool bag, camp bag, and (as you said) a junk drawer.
It is inevitable that MT enthusiasts get them at some point. Whether we buy them, because they are dirt cheap, or we get them as gifts. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:04:37 PM
I did a thread called "MT Hammer - Can Touch This". It went over like a lead balloon. I have four of them. Three are the pliers/claw hammer(2 big and 1 smaller) and one is a hatchet-hammer(no plier feature).
I find them neat to throw in the glove box, tool bag, camp bag, and (as you said) a junk drawer.
It is inevitable that MT enthusiasts get them at some point. Whether we buy them, because they are dirt cheap, or we get them as gifts. :rofl:

I have one.  I bought it to complete an Ace Hardware set.  :facepalm: 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:09:06 PM
 :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:20:38 PM
How can you write a glowing report like that without mentioning a brand name or where you got it?
  :megaslap: :twak:

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 07:01:41 PM
There was no brand. I bought it from eBay for not much money. There are a few on there from different companies. Coleman for instance. They all appear to be the same tool in different packaging.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:36:33 PM
Alan may not know, that when you start buying 'lowest echelon tools', that the brand is no longer relevant.  :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 11:29:50 PM
I have a lot of these with varying quality. I find them an interesting branch to collect.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:24:54 AM
They seem to reproduce, don't they, Chako?

I had a couple of them, and somehow there were four, then six, etc. I don't remember buying any, after the first two. :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:34:13 AM
If you think the hammer ones are interesting, you should see the mini hatchets and the adjustable spanner variants.

Here is an older post showing a few that I have. Agreed, they do multiply. On the flip side, I haven't bought the um...er...Tac Tool as I won't pay 20+ bucks for one.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61638.msg1143789.html#msg1143789

https://www.trytactool.ca/?mid=9725249

:rofl:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:42:09 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 02:46:49 AM
I like the plier/socket driver/wrench the best of the ones in your thread. Some cool stuff there! I only have two non-plier fixed head tools(I think the claw hammer ones are more useful). A Sheffield hatchet(like yours with different handles) and GM branded adjustable wrench.
20180726_193834-1.jpeg
* 20180726_193834-1.jpeg (Filesize: 200.08 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 05:40:39 AM
That GM Goodwrench is a re-branded Coast Pocket Wrench. The distinctive shape of the scales give it away. However, the ones I've seen have a regular file with flat screwdriver on the end in place of the serrated blade that your GM Goodwrench has.  Does yours say "Coast" on the blade?

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 06:03:19 AM
I think you're right about Coast making it, even though it doesn't have it marked as such. It has a strange feature though. An entire scale dedicated to making sure people knew where it was made. :facepalm:

The sheath looks good, but it is that leatherette stuff that tears quite quickly. Thankfully it is unused. :)

It came in a clearance pack at a "Big Lots". I paid $5 I think for the set. The folding plier tool is basically the run-of-the-mill 1990s/early 2000s plastic scale tool.
20180726_225252-1.jpeg
* 20180726_225252-1.jpeg (Filesize: 174.71 KB)
20180726_225304-1.jpeg
* 20180726_225304-1.jpeg (Filesize: 208.38 KB)
20180726_225806-1.jpeg
* 20180726_225806-1.jpeg (Filesize: 168.07 KB)
20180726_225844-1.jpeg
* 20180726_225844-1.jpeg (Filesize: 154.03 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 08:26:02 AM
Can you splay out the tools in the MT? I’m curious if that’s a coast pocket plier.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 08:34:32 AM
Actually now that I’m thinking about this, these are likely copies and not actually the coast tools. Coast never supplied those leatherette pouches. Their multitools always came with heavy duty ballistic nylon pouches, even when made for other companies, at least through 2011.

Still it’s interesting to see copies of Coast tools. I dig early Coast stuff and am collecting it.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 03:27:33 AM
I wonder if the cheap sheaths was a thing with the retailer not wanting to spend a few more cents on the good nylon?

Just in case, here are a couple of pics of the tools on the folding GM. I have nearly identical toolsets on several tools. One grocery store brand "Ms. Fixit"(not marked on the tool though), another generic(might be marked Winchester) with rubber insert steel handles, one "Gander Mountain" marked tool, and one more I can't remember.  :ahhh
20180727_201739-1.jpeg
* 20180727_201739-1.jpeg (Filesize: 217.25 KB)
20180727_201755-1.jpeg
* 20180727_201755-1.jpeg (Filesize: 195.45 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 07:49:00 AM
I have two like that as well. Not coast! 

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 07:52:50 AM
Thanks, Charles!

You gotta love a fish scaler on an automotive branded MT. :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%