Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Problems with posting pics

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Problems with posting pics
on: July 26, 2018, 06:48:32 AM
I need any and all help from you guys...

Ever since I signed up, I have been posting on MT.o on an Iphone 5s. My first few posts with pictures in them went buttery smooth. I would take the picture, email it to myself resized for the forum, and then post it.

Recently, when I’ve been posting pictures, I use the exact same process, but when I publish the post, the pictures are turned 90 degrees to the left.

I have now tried rotating the pictures saved on my phone 90 degrees to the right to counteract this, but that is how it showed up on the post. I edited it to the original orientation, but it went back to being turned to the left. I might see if turning them upside down works for whatever stupid reason.

What I’m thinking is the cause of the problem is what size I resize the pictures to. When I resize it, it only gives me 4 options: small medium and large. When choosing the resize, it shows what size eah option will turn out to be in kilobytes. Even with no variation when taking a picture, it always turns out to be a random size. When the “large” resize can fit in the post, the published post’s pic is upright. But when I have to choose the “medium” resize, that seems to be when the problem occurs.

Anybody have fixes? Explanations? Are there other ways to resize a phone picture where this problem won't occur (and that can be preformed on the phone itself) ? Can I change a setting on my phone that will limit pictures to 1024kb (I’ll try to check this myself) ?

Also, let me know if you’ve had problems with pictures not being upright, and what you did, reguardless of whether you were using a phone or computer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Problems with posting pics
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:35:38 AM
I’ve been doing the same thing as you with my iPhone, except I often uploaded the rotated and resized pictures to an image website like imgur instead of MTO. Can’t say I’ve noticed many problems.  :think:
I email the pics to my google gmail  account, maybe that makes a difference?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:48:42 AM
Im using my phone to post pics and i use tapatalk to do it.
i had some problems first getting picture right way.
First my pics was sideway or worst upside down but i managed to figured out reason to be rotation lock. I checked does my camera change orientation when taking pic. Im usually taking pic vertically with phone so pic goes sideway if orientation lock is on. Try free orientation so pics goes right way.

When im using computer to resize i use Irfanview it usually shows is pic sideway or not and you can orientate it and resize easily

Only Tools Matters

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:36:13 AM
Phones and tablets sometimes have a smart rotation, I've had this happen where a photo orientation looks right on my phone/tablet, but when I save it to my computer it un-rotates forcing me to re-save it again using a photo manipulation program.

Your best bet is to probably find an optimizing app for your phone to do the rotation and resize.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:28:00 PM
Im using my phone to post pics and i use tapatalk to do it.
i had some problems first getting picture right way.
First my pics was sideway or worst upside down but i managed to figured out reason to be rotation lock. I checked does my camera change orientation when taking pic. Im usually taking pic vertically with phone so pic goes sideway if orientation lock is on. Try free orientation so pics goes right way.

When im using computer to resize i use Irfanview it usually shows is pic sideway or not and you can orientate it and resize easily

Only Tools Matters

That might be it, because it gets left on when viewing MTo. I’ll have to go through a little trial and error, but thanks everyone for all help  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:08:35 AM
Lets do some testing....

Test #1: What size I scaled the picture to.

Pic #1 is scaled “large”.
Pic #2 is scaled “medium”

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 07:12:33 AM
Test #2: screen lock

This pic was taken with screen lock on.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:16:09 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but does the camera have a landscape/portrait setting? It seems as if the photos are locked in landscape mode when you take them. :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 07:17:14 AM
Test #3: Portrait or landscape

Pic 1 was landscape, pic 2 was landscape w/ lock on

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 07:19:38 AM
GLBM, in the test, I changed it to landscape just by tilting the phone. The camera buttons also tilt with it, so I know it works. There are other pic settings to try, though.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 07:24:18 AM
Finally  :D It looks like I’ll have to take my pictures in landscape mode. To the best of my knowledge, when I would post pictures that turned out sideways, they were taken in portrait mode, and vice-versa.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 07:38:25 AM
Test #4: Trying to counter the rotation

I’ve already tried rotating the already scaled pictures to the right to counteract the problem, but it doesn’t work. In this pic, I rotated the original pic, then scaled it.

If this test fails, then I will just have to remember to take all of my pics in landscape mode. I’m thinking that the reason portrait mode pics get turned sideways is because of a forum requirement for a certain width.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:17 AM
Test #5: Does the forum have a width requirement?

This is one of my earlier pics, that when posted, turned sideways. To see if the website does this to meet a certain width, I cropped the original photo.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 07:51:43 AM
A summary to conclude this thread:

So after 5 tests, it turns out that (for me atleast) posted pictures must be wider than they are long to remain upright. I now know to take all pictures for MTo in landscape mode for this problem not to occur.

Thanks, all, for helping me troubleshoot this reocurring problem.

I have set my posts up to try to serve as a guide to others who are having the same, or similar issue.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 08:37:49 AM
I’m on my phone, the pictures for test 1 and 2 are laying on their side, but when I click on them to view a bigger version, I got one that’s the right way up. :think:
And on test 4, it stays on its side even if I pull up a bigger version.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 01:47:19 PM
Landscape pics usually look the best in my opinion anyway , unless you are going for a certain composition.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%