Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OUTU Scissors-Pliers tool

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
OUTU Scissors-Pliers tool
on: May 31, 2017, 04:04:52 PM
After months undecided, curiosity beat me and I finally got an OUTU Multitool.
I loved the concept and the design and decided to risk it with this unknown Chinese brand.

Couldn't be more satisfied, TBH. Quality is definitely there, the implements work as intended and I have little to complain about, especially for $15.

It's Skeletool sized, similar feel in hand, but its toolset results more complete as it adds the so-needed Scissors and File to the four Skele functions (Blade, Pliers, Flathead, Phillips).
The pocket clip is a big plus, every bit as good as the Skeletool's.

All tools are easily accessible, and the pliers unfold to show either a pair of jaws or a pair f scissor blades. These are big size, like shears, and similar to the Wingman's but bigger and noticeably stronger. You won't be doing tiny-SAK-scissors precision jobs with these, this is a heavy duty cutting implement.

The plier head and wire cutters feel sturdy and solid, much like the Skeletool's, but it is also obvious here that they are made for light to medium duty tasks and won't take much torque.

Blade is non-locking and not one-handed opening, but doesn't have the so criticised partial serrations like the leatherman tool, and is just as sharp. Great for UK laws and restricted blade places, or sites where you can't have a locking knife.

What puts this tool above the Skeletool to me is the scissors and the excellent drivers, both flathead and Phillips are integrated as solid pieces of the tool and as clever as the double sided swappable bits are, this system allows for stronger torque, better reach and the impossibility of losing the bits or small pieces.

Rides nice and tight in the pocket, clipped and riding low in profile.
All in all, my scepticism has been proven unfounded and it's an incredible buy for the price, a capable tool and a versatile gadget to carry every day or have in the work shop, car, etc.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Re: OUTU Scissors-Pliers tool
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:19:50 PM
Thanks for write up.  Looking forward to hearing how it holds up after get some miles on it. :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:44:13 PM
Nice pics and write up, thanks TP.   :cheers:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:52:21 PM
Thanks for the review :salute:

Not a bad design, may need to get one of these :tu:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:19:22 AM
Nice!

15$ on Ebay???  :pok: :think:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 07:49:10 AM
Looks super strange, strange enough to be fun. I'll admit when I first saw it I said what the f. But different is good and refreshing at times. Especially when it's $15 and can be used and abused without any real concern.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:54:17 PM
Yep, didn't need it, but had to buy it ::)

This is really a disease. I was just cleaning my office because we have a guest staying with us and was shocked by how many multitools and knives I have laying around :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:56:08 PM by theonew »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 06:19:41 AM

After a two week journey from California this finally arrived. I think it has been to more states in the US than I've visited ::)

I have to agree with The Peacent, this is better than I expected, especially for $14 delivered. I'm not a big small-scissors fan as I find them to be very fiddly, but nevertheless useful, sometimes in ways that a knife can't accomplish. So having some small scissors around like on a 58mm SAK is something I tend to carry. But the size of the scissors on this tool I find refreshing. You can cut a piece of packing tape in nearly one cut, as opposed to 4 or 5 cuts with Vic 91mm scissors. They are sharp and well formed, not super precise but decent. I may crink (krink?) them a bit more but as is they work nicely.

While a sabre hollow grind is not my first pick for blade geometry, the knife has plenty of belly and is thin enough to be useful in a variety of roles. It is also nearly 3 inches long, which, for someone who has been carrying just an 84mm Vic for a few months, seems like a lot of blade.

I wish the phillips driver was slightly bigger but it has worked well on a variety of different sizes I have tried.

The only noticeable aspect to the tool which, in my opinion, shows that it is a low cost item, is the file. The crosscut side is useable but the single cut side would have trouble filing down a stick of butter and there is no saw edge.

Overall I'm quite happy with it and it will definitely see some use and hopefully I can report back on any long term durability issues.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 03:31:41 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

After a two week journey from California this finally arrived. I think it has been to more states in the US than I've visited ::)

I have to agree with The Peacent, this is better than I expected, especially for $14 delivered. I'm not a big small-scissors fan as I find them to be very fiddly, but nevertheless useful, sometimes in ways that a knife can't accomplish. So having some small scissors around like on a 58mm SAK is something I tend to carry. But the size of the scissors on this tool I find refreshing. You can cut a piece of packing tape in nearly one cut, as opposed to 4 or 5 cuts with Vic 91mm scissors. They are sharp and well formed, not super precise but decent. I may crink (krink?) them a bit more but as is they work nicely.

While a sabre hollow grind is not my first pick for blade geometry, the knife has plenty of belly and is thin enough to be useful in a variety of roles. It is also nearly 3 inches long, which, for someone who has been carrying just an 84mm Vic for a few months, seems like a lot of blade.

I wish the phillips driver was slightly bigger but it has worked well on a variety of different sizes I have tried.

The only noticeable aspect to the tool which, in my opinion, shows that it is a low cost item, is the file. The crosscut side is useable but the single cut side would have trouble filing down a stick of butter and there is no saw edge.

Overall I'm quite happy with it and it will definitely see some use and hopefully I can report back on any long term durability issues.

yeah I was glad I could cut some nice cardboard and paper pieces without much effort and in a few cuts. That's what really got me from this tool.
Also, I agree with the file, it is such an afterthought implement that I didn't even mention it in my "first impressions". The only file that is even flimsier and crappier is the Dime's file   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:09:57 AM
Peacent, got a link? This looks cool.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 02:43:16 AM
Peacent, got a link? This looks cool.
ebay
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 03:15:59 AM
darn

I'm allergic to fleabay
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:39:20 PM
well, not advertising here but I got it from a Chinese mega-store like DHGate and Fasttech, that starts by the letters "Gearb---"

:salute:
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 03:39:24 PM
Well, it's been almost a month already, and just to update, I'd like to say this tool has surprised me way above expectations, and has taken a very strong position in my EDC rotation, some thoughts on it:

+ The scissors are the best on any MT I've tried, right next to the Micra scissors, they are capable, sharp, easy to reshape or repair and strong above the average. From bandaging to paper, cardboard, plastic containers and cloth, they cut clean, fast and precise.
+ The blade is sharp and even though it dulls very quickly it's also very rapidly put back to hair-popping sharp and the soft steel is very forgiving to abuse (dents, chips, bending...). Blade can be converted to OHO via a simple zip-tie, and no-lock makes it UK legal

+ The clip is excellent and as comfortable as the Skeletools', solid and secure but discreet and slim
+ The blue color is shiny and makes it very easy to spot, so I can quickly locate it in between the flowers, plants and colorful vegetables in my workplace. I  :like: that
+ Can be maintained, dismantled & easily modded due to a Torx-screw construction in all joints and pivots

+ The pliers are stronger than the Skeletool ones, or at least they feel that way, while not weighing much more than the LM you get stronger spring loaded pliers, scissors, file and two non-losable screwdrivers

- Unfortunately these very screwdrivers will not take much force and also they are soft (as usual per Chinese steels) so they won't last very long and will suffer a lot with rusty, stubborn or big screws

- The tool itself has a completely gimmicky and useless file in the quality level of the cheap $5 tools and gas station Chinese multitools (luckily for us there's no fish scaler around this time   :D)
- There are many spaces and areas where gunk, dirt and lint can easily get and stay, something which I've noticed with the substrates, soil and stuff we use in the Garden. Like a Wave or Surge, too many weird small corners to clean, unlike the ST300 or Rebar
- Not a heavy duty tool, stronger than Juice or Freestyle but weaker than Wave, Spirit or PST, you can tell after some use. Steel is soft so the jaws will get marks and the cutters will dent with more than med. duty cutting

All in all I'd definitely recommend checking it out to all those collectors, users or plain MT fans looking for something a bit different from the mainstream design, or something to gift (father, girlfriend, workmates) without a complicated design and without breaking the bank, but that is still nice looking, easy to carry and very intuitive to use with the basic toolset and functions for most people   :multi:
My toys:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 08:54:37 PM
I'll definitely get at least one. Not sure how, since they're not on regular ebay, but I'll get one somehow.  :tu:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:11 PM
I just snagged one of these off of Amazon for $10. I'm really impressed for $10. In fact, I think these are going to be stocking stuffers this year. They're really good.

That said, there is room for improvement.  Here's my little reivew.

The jaws are spring loaded, but lightly sprung. They operate smoothly and comfortably. The handles are comfortable to hold, even when applying force. They're precisely made with no offset, and I can pull out an arm hair with them. They are thin pliers, however, and I can force the tips of the jaws to the side with just finger pressure. There is a very little bit of play in the plier pivot. Just enough to feel.

The wire cutters aren't so great. They manager 16ga wire and 12ga wire (stranded copper wire), but can't cut 24ga or 18ga with extra thick insulation. They cut all sizes of zip ties that fit within the cutter.

The screwdriver bits all have rounded edges. The phillips driver appears to be a #1 or a J1 that's been overly polished and rounded. The flat head is hair larger than a #4. The phillips cams out pretty easily, which is unfortunate.

The tools have big slots instead of nail nicks, and all the tools are very easy to open. This is a big plus for my girlfriend, who has longer fingernails and cannot open a SAK without the risk of breaking a nail.

The blade is large, but looks a little funny with a small tang compared to the wide belly of the blade. There is very little side-to-side play in the blade. The backspring is adequate to keep it out, but it's not strong by any means. The blade will fold up easily. The blade itself is sharp enough out of the box to cut receipt paper.

The scissors are the shining star of this tool. They cut through a cardboard box easier than my large scissors. Lots of leverage, a sharp blade, and just a very good design.

The single and double-cut files are properly heat treated, and can file mild steel. They're not, however, particularly aggressive.

It comes with a nice heavy-duty semi-rigid sheath, as well as a pocket clip. The pocket clip works really nicely. Which means, essentially, that it comes with a nice sheath I can use for a different knife or multitool. It fits my Victorinox Champion (8 layer) just fine.

Yeah, so I like these things. The cutters could be better. The pliers could have less flex. (the two are related. The pliers being able to flex effects whether the bypass style cutters cut, or bend wire between them). the phillips driver in particular could be better. But for ten bucks this thing is really worth it!

Charles.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 06:05:58 AM
Yeah, it's not too bad, considering the low price. Decent pliers and blade, great scissors, passable Phillips.
And those scissors, man. They're so pretty!  :dd:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 06:06:38 AM
I'll definitely get at least one. Not sure how, since they're not on regular ebay, but I'll get one somehow.  :tu:

:like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 04:39:05 PM
paint wears easily though  :P

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%