Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whats the most reliable 2x AAA Penlight ?

Offline Old man Chris

Whats the most reliable 2x AAA Penlight ?
on: July 26, 2018, 07:44:45 PM
I’ve been on the hunt for a 2xAAA penlight , that is totally rugged and reliable . Basically for work . I dont need more than 2 modes . I don’t need horific out the front lumens . These being somewhat irrelevant , with respect to a small reflector . It needs a pocket clip . I typically carry in a shirt pocket .

ATM , I’m carrying a Pelican 1920 , seems OK , but this quest has gone on for so many years , with so many dissapointments , I just want the best !

Best Regards ,

Chris

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Whats the most reliable 2x AAA Penlight ?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:35:21 AM
i have a few, an olight and 47's which I think neither are made anymore, but both pretty good. Recently got a lumintop iyp365 and a thorfire, both are also good, I'll put some pics up later.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:43:04 AM
heres lumintop, already had some pics:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 02:48:48 AM
thorfire, I stole amazon pics, either of these is very good, can get from $10-$15 depending on coupons or site

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:31:59 PM
The new Foursevens is about to release one. It’s from Prometheus. If it’s as good as the Preon 1 it’ll be great. Also, Frelux has a very rugged light but they’re only released in batches. https://frelux.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:21:01 PM
The most reliable would be a Peak Eiger, but it's expensive and possibly not exactly what you'd want.
- Terry

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 02:32:35 PM
The most reliable would be a Peak Eiger, but it's expensive and possibly not exactly what you'd want.

I’ve thought about them before , but found the Website a horrorshow to navigate . For me , a Penlight is a core tool , so I’m prepared to pony up the requsite bucks .

Best Regards ,

Chris

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 03:16:07 PM

If you get a single level Eiger then I agree but the adjustable Peak are likely the least reliable lights that I have ever owned and I still have 5 or so of them.
The QTC is simply unpredictable and goofy and is worse the smaller the light diameter too!

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 06:44:53 PM
I really tend to like penlights, and penlights really tend to fail on me. Most often, failing when needed most. My favorite form of work lighting is led, rough duty, high color rendering inspection/drop light on mains power. Flashlights are generally back-ups that I won't trust untill they have provided years of service. Anyhoos, last couple of months I've been sporting a Klarus P20. It's survived high humidity, sweat baths and several 2 meter drops to concrete floors. Mode memory can essentially turn it into a single mode light, if desired. I have voided it's warranty, as usual. The switch assembly is impressive, with substantial contact area and better than average construction with a nice ground path Just making you aware of it's availability, more so than a whole hearted recommendation.  :) :hatsoff:

Video review of the P20:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

If you get a single level Eiger then I agree but the adjustable Peak are likely the least reliable lights that I have ever owned and I still have 5 or so of them.
The QTC is simply unpredictable and goofy and is worse the smaller the light diameter too!

Agreed.  All my Peaks are QTC-less.

Chris, what kind of brightness/runtime are you looking for?  I have a 2xAAA Eiger I would sell, but it is a #8 power (brightest) so it doesn't have the greatest runtime...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:29:12 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:59:40 AM

Agreed.  All my Peaks are QTC-less.

Chris, what kind of brightness/runtime are you looking for?  I have a 2xAAA Eiger I would sell, but it is a #8 power (brightest) so it doesn't have the greatest runtime...
[/quotte

Sounds interesting , I don’t care too much about runtime , I seldom actually use low light levels .

What would you be looking for , pricewise . Sorry to be slow responding , no meaning to be rude , haven’t been on this forum , as much as usual .

Best Regards,

Chris

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 06:58:32 PM
Thanks to Terry , my quest for the perfect penlight will soon be over ! Can hardly wait !

Best Regards,

Chris

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 12:42:46 AM
Just recieved the 2xAAA Peak Eiger from Terry , superb piece !

Best Regards,

Chris

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 01:59:09 PM
In my view the Streamlight Stylus Pro is the best of the best in this genre.  They are totally bulletproof, and the stiff clicky won't actuate in your pocket.  Long runtime.  Not spendy.  I feed mine Eneloop rechargeables.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/stylus-pro

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 04:03:33 PM
The Stylus Pro is a great light, and I've had a few of them.  However, any clicky switch can fail--even the vaunted McClicky.  Twisties and momentary switches are simpler and typically more reliable.
- Terry

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 04:41:23 PM
Ahmen Brother ! The2xAAA Eiger ticks the boxes . Amazing how floody it is for a small reflector .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD