Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you get sentimental about your sak?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Do you get sentimental about your sak?
on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:39 AM
Just curious, do you get sentimental about your sak (or other knives/tools)?

I tend to not get too attached to objects in general, but I don't seem to have an attachment to the pioneer I've been carrying for a few years. I was carrying it at the birth of all 4 of the kids and it's traveled many places with me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:23:13 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Do you get sentimental about your sak?
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:29:28 AM
There are some tools I have that were with me for certain special events or dates in my life. Those tools have a sentimental quality for me, just because they remind me of that event or a person. I still miss my first SAK, the one my grandfather gave me.

So, yes.  :D

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:21:19 AM
I am very nostalgic and remember how my grandfather (born in 1880) used his pocket knife frequently in the course of each day. Recalling this use led me on an acquisition journey that eventually resulted in my SAK interest.  I now own somewhere north of 100 SAKs. My own daily SAK use often reminds me of my grandfather and his pocket knife routines.

:climber:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:04 AM
I dont tend to get sentimental over things.  I tried to think if I had a tool that evoked some kind of emotion.  Nothing came to mind.  I do have some SAKs that would be the last to go if I had to get rid of all but say 2 or 3.  Its neat tho that some of you have such fond memories tied to these wonderful little tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:57:37 AM
Three SAKs I have a sentimental attachment to are:
1) The first Explorer I had(given to me by my Dad, alongside a Mr. Pinchy), which was my first SAK and carried in my pocket daily for over 10 years with the Pinchy, and still sees pocket time, even though the liners are corroded very badly. It has almost no snap anymore and the tools are difficult to open, but still works, nonetheless.
2 & 3)The blue Fisherman and SwissChamp XLT that my friend gave me after his father passed away(alongside a 1949 Omega Seamaster Automatic Calendar) Both belonged to his dad, who was a watch collector, and still have dings in the blades(although I sharpened most of the damage away), where he opened watch cases with them.

The rest of my SAKs are collection/acquisition stuff. I care for my collectibles, but most aren't sentimental.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:53:05 AM
I am very sentimental about the Wenger serrated toolchest, victorinox classic and Leatherman Micra I got around the age of 13.  (Now 31.) 

Also some sentimentality around a victorinox handyman that I got on a trip to Switzerland, and a victorinox cybertool that my wife bought me for my birthday.

Really sentimental about that Wenger knife though.  I'd be devastated if I lost it or broke it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:04:54 AM by NetsNJ »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:22:33 AM
 Humm... Not really "sentimental" for any specific SAK really... Maybe a bit over some specific model or two, but not over any specific "unit". They are just tools to me. One small Tinker is just the same as the 100th one after it... If i lose it or damage it, I'll just grab another one.
Nevertheless i always take really good care of all my stuff. The only thing i may be a little more sentimental about is my guitars, cause each one is unique really because of nature of them. Not so much about my keyboards tho, one unit sounds exactly the same as the next
 :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 01:33:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your stories everyone!

Its interesting hoe many people are influenced by their fathers and grandfathers.  I guess it only makes sense that you would seek to emulate a positive role model in your family.

I too was influenced by my dad and grandfathers. Though my sak obsession was more borne out of the boy scouts, the desire to always have a knife came before and was from their influence. At the time they all carried traditionals of some sort, though the last 20 years or so my dad carries a slide lock 111mm sak.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:39:20 PM
I have a sentimental attachment to SAK's I have modded myself as I put some hard work into them, and also the SAK's given to me by loved ones and friends (as well as other knives and tools).
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

za Offline WaynejG

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:25 PM
I always get sentimental about these type of things. At the moment I have 2 SAK's. A mountaineer my wife gave me 20 odd years ago. Then the latest is a Forrester that I bought while on holiday in Switzerland earlier in the year.
Also have a Zippo in the safe since 2008 (when I stopped smoking)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 05:05:41 PM
I usually don't get too sentimental over inanimate objects, but I am very fond of my oldest SAK, my trusty war horse the Wenger SI. It's been with me on a lot of trips, over lots of miles. If it got lost I'd be upset for a while but I'd get over it and move on.

I used the same Smith and Wesson model 63 from 1980 to 2007. I loved that gun. But in 2007 when S&W came out with the 'improved' version with an 8 shot cylinder instead of the 6 and the red fiber optic front sight, I traded the old one in a heart beat and haven't looked back.

There were things that I had in my younger days that I thought I'd never get rid of, but things change as we age, and many priorities change. Interest was and new needs pop up. Nothing is irreplaceable.

I'd say I do not get sentimental.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 06:21:30 PM
There's only one knife I have a real sentimental attachment to:  the inexpensive peanut-pattern knife my dad carried throughout my childhood.  It has two broken blades, so it's virtually useless from a practical standpoint, but I'll own it as long as I remain on this earth.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 02:54:33 AM
Only have two knives that I am sentimental about and neither is a SAK....

1st is a Boker Tree Brand Classic stockman that belonged to my father and came to me.  Very high quality knife that he was very proud of and carried for quite a while.  Red bone scales I believe...

2nd is a Schrade-Walden N Y made shroud cutter that I carried in my flight suit....quality not so good but certainly good enough..... :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 03:56:41 AM
Other knives have been bought, carried, and abused without any thought towards an emotional connection, but this Champion, in particular, was a gift on my 50th birthday.  It was my birthday present, my precious, precious, birthday present, and I am very fond of it and carry it most days because it reminds me of that day.
MTO Rotation Challenge 13.JPG
* MTO Rotation Challenge 13.JPG (Filesize: 247.31 KB)

us Offline getahl

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:27:37 AM
I'm a little sentimental about the Tinker my grandfather gave me for my birthday about 25 years ago. Not enough to put it on display, but enough to not carry it regularly.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 11:53:15 AM
Are you kidding? YES!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 05:14:33 PM
Over some of them, and other tools, I do,
here's my list, a long one,but thee I do not intend to sell, trade or get rid of, unless 100% necessary
If I had to keep "the ones" form my current collection, they'd be these:

- SAKs:

· Swisschamp that I inherited from my Grandfather when he died  :salute:
· Limited Edition PX with Mt.Org engraving tha Nix gifted to me  ::)

- MTs:
· Leatherman Juice Pro, my first Leatherman, hand repaired and signed by Tim  :dd:
· LM Surge, my most expensive MT purchase to date and also signed by Tim  :)
· LM Rebar, sent to me by a member here, it has the Mt.org logo engraved and signed by Tim as well  :tu:
· LM MiniTool, gifted to me by a member of this forum and signed by Tim  :ahhh
· LM Skele CX, also a gift from Marc_in_NS and a beautiful piece, I got rid of my standard skele and kept this  :drink:

- Knives:
· Buck 110 made with special customized features, engraved with my initials and gifted to me by Nix
· ZT0561, discontinued and high end knife, a gift from Nix too  :D and my most expensive knife to date  :o
· BM710, old and discontinued too, from Nix too (Santa!!  :clap:) and my second most expensive knife to date  :drool:
· Higonokami, an inexpensive and rustic knife that my father brought to me from Japan when he traveled there  :angel:
· Cold Steel Hold Out III, it was a gift from Kampfer and a little very fun knife that I like a lot  :multi:

and probably that's it  :)
as you see they all hold a special sentimental value and have an importance that transcends their monetary cost, all other things in my collection of tools and knives I consider replaceable (even though some would be hard to find) and are mere cool gadgets, fun tools and nice factory pieces  :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%