Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs and Shotguns

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
SAKs and Shotguns
on: August 14, 2018, 02:27:03 AM
Thought I'd start this thread while cleaning my 50 something year old 20 Gauge Ithaca Model 66 Super Single, that originally belonged to my great-uncle.  Not a high-dollar gun (worth maybe $100), but a high-value (sentimentally), so I had to buy a cleaning kit for it--I found a halfway decent one for $4 at Tractor Supply that gets the job done (and fits in the ammo can), but the nicer $30 kit TSC had will be bought for subsequent cleanings (it handles most guns aside from muzzleloaders) It does get fired from time to time, mostly for varmint control, but I may start shooting clay pigeons.  The can of oil, cleaning kit, and box of ammo all crams into this WWII relic 30 Cal. ammo can. May end up upgrading to one of my Carmet bit boxes (basically a 50 cal ammo can the mining cutting bit maker, whom my Granddad worked for, painted bright blue).

Cleaned the barrel well, and cleaned the stock and forearm with Murphy's Oil Soap. To do is put some saddle soap on the strap, and buy a hardshell case that actually fits--this was a spare "Extra Large" size Granddad had 10 years ago, and originally held my Red Ryder.  It's good quality, and still looks like new. I had an Allen that fit, and it also had pockets, but about the tenth time I opened it with my pellet rifle in there, the zipper busted. I have what I believe was the original case for this shotgun (given to me by my great-uncle), it just needs a new zipper.

Show us yours!

DSCF0223 by cody6268, on Flickr

DSCF0222 by cody6268, on Flickr

On another note, I really think I might need a knife with a shell puller and choke-tube tool. I'm not liking those Real Avid tools--too tactical looking. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:32:54 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: SAKs and Shotguns
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 03:00:35 AM
Those 66s are awesome!  My cousin has one and I've envied him since we were boys.
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SAKs and Shotguns
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 07:20:58 AM
I know nothing about guns but its neat you have that old one from your great uncle.  Good on you for getting a good clean on it.  It'll be ready to go for any varmints that dare come into your yard. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD