Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is One and Done a reality when it comes to our EDC tools?

Aloha · 25 · 1196

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The ONE and DONE tool. Does this tool even exist?  We've heard all about some tools being the end all be all of tools.  Then we hear about someones experience with said tool as a let down.  Same goes for lights and knives and anything else we carry.  Is it merely the tool or the complexity of the users needs?  Are we just on a journey with no end? 

Lets take a look at MTs.  Some would have you believe the Spirit hold mythological powers.  We have threads debunking this.  Some would have you believe the Wave/Surge holds the crown but again thread upon thread debunks this as well.  These tools are not one and done for many.  However for others they are.  Maybe we have something here........  :think: 

We've read about certain SAKs being the one and done SAKs.  A custom is ordered or a grail SAK is located.   Then after a while we're to read how this is not to case.  I've read about how someone has carried a Tinker for example for a few decades, DECADES.  Then switched out for something smaller or more layers.  What the heck happened there?   

The Micra has been around a long time.  Many have carried it for a very long time.  Then one day its replaced.  Man, what the heck makes one change a tool carried for a decade? 

I think I'm getting close with my Salesman.  This has surpassed my expectations of what a SAK can be, should be.  Yes I love my others SAKs.  I will continue to carry them.  I wont however not carry my Salesman.  My Manager is very much the same.  My Fenix LD02 is the same.  I am getting comfortable with knowing there are no One and Done tools for me as of yet.  I might narrow my selection down the road but to only have 1 SAK and 1 light for example might never happen.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Old man Chris

Re: Is One and Done a reality when it comes to our EDC tools?
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:11:55 PM
For a number of years , the only multi I had in daily use was a Spirit X , it’s still my prefered work carry , due to high implement density and quality . Only catch , if I carried the Spirit , I “ needed” a folder with a lock , a pocket clip ,and a high performance steel blade , and OHO . I’m getting lazy in my old age , and as a result , reconnected with the Charge/Wave lineage of multitools . In sodoing , I was able to downsize my SAK’s to the 58mm platform. The new Charge+ TTI ticks the boxes , and with the bit card , bit extender , and a little Wera 1/4”/6mm ratchet , gives me a lot more off wotk capabilities .

I think the Spirit will still be my workplace Multi , the Charge+ TTI /Minichamp plus bitcards , and accessories , will be my prefered off work carry . If I do ireintroduce a folder into the mix , it will be one of my sub 3” models .

At the end of the day , unless their is a major breakthru , this order of battle will remain . By major breakthru , I mean something like a Surge + TTI , with forged and hardchromed plier heads , or some upset of that magnitude .

Best Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:13:12 PM by Old man Chris »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:16:39 PM
For a number of years , the only multi I had in daily use was a Spirit X , it’s still my prefered work carry , due to high implement density and quality . Only catch , if I carried the Spirit , I “ needed” a folder with a lock , a pocket clip ,and a high performance steel blade , and OHO . I’m getting lazy in my old age , and as a result , reconnected with the Charge/Wave lineage of multitools . In sodoing , I was able to downsize my SAK’s to the 58mm platform. The new Charge+ TTI ticks the boxes , and with the bit card , bit extender , and a little Wera 1/4”/6mm ratchet , gives me a lot more off wotk capabilities .

I think the Spirit will still be my workplace Multi , the Charge+ TTI /Minichamp plus bitcards , and accessories , will be my prefered off work carry . If I do ireintroduce a folder into the mix , it will be one of my sub 3” models .

At the end of the day , unless their is a major breakthru , this order of battle will remain . By major breakthru , I mean something like a Surge + TTI , with forged and hardchromed plier heads , or some upset of that magnitude .

Best Regards,

Chris

Major Breakthru!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:19:59 PM
On a more serious note, to each is own. Maybe awl you need is a simple knife, maybe you need a Swisschamp XXLT.

I'd say One and Done may be a reality for some people. Others like to have more than one "toy" around, either to use or to feel secure in having a backup or even just to show off.

It's awl good!

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 07:38:33 PM
My one and done seems to change as I age, your needs tend to change I think.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 07:54:39 PM

I agree.

Needs and priorities change.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:53:14 PM
The victorinox pioneer and fenix LD01 are probably my one and done knife and light, ceteris paribus.

Now, if the ceteris is no longer paribus, all bets are off.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:54:47 AM
My subjective answer is absolutely no. :tu:

As I collect more tools, I find ones I want to try in my EDC. I'll buy a used one to carry and see if I like it. So far, I've got oodles of tools I don't use, but could, since they aren't in the collection. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 04:09:51 AM
Last week I thought I'd carry my ST300 just to. What a maddening week it was. I'll never go back from my Wave/Charge/Surge OHO setup ever again. That feature is a one and done for me on multitools. Leatherman nailed that concept down and the Wave is still on fire saleswise.

Still haven't found my one and done knife although the Benchmade Griptilian comes real close.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 06:38:07 AM
I'd have to agree with you with the OHO.  We've had some lively debates but none has changed how I use my tools.  OHO one and done on MT for sure.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:15:29 AM
Is this discussion limited to tools available as stock, or does it (heretically  :twak: :D) consider applying modifications acceptable?

Because the OP echoes something I have felt for a long time, only to discover that tools available off the shelf always have some downsides or are just not complete enough, giving rise to the need to combine with other tools or (heresy! heresy! :D) modify...  >:D >:D >:D

It doesn't help that needs change almost on a continuous basis  :facepalm: :whistle:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:25 PM

I agree.

Needs and priorities change.

^ This   :salute:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 02:56:54 PM
Is this discussion limited to tools available as stock, or does it (heretically  :twak: :D) consider applying modifications acceptable?

Because the OP echoes something I have felt for a long time, only to discover that tools available off the shelf always have some downsides or are just not complete enough, giving rise to the need to combine with other tools or (heresy! heresy! :D) modify...  >:D >:D >:D

It doesn't help that needs change almost on a continuous basis  :facepalm: :whistle:

Modded tool certainly help with carrying that particular modded tool more often than not.  When I modded my Wave I thought it would be the tool to end all tools.  Then of course I began to carry my TTi which is not modded  :facepalm:.  Certainly we like to carry combination of tools to bridge any gaps.  I think I could carry a Squirt P4 and Salesman which I did yesterday and be totally happy.  So one of each and done  :whistle:   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 03:41:38 PM
A Spirit X with a premium steel blade , plier heads by Knipex , OHO , and a pocket clip , would be One and Donefor Moi !

Best Regards,

Chris

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 06:53:25 PM
I haven't found a one-n-done yet, but for my day-to-day pocket knife needs, I carry my Victorinox Troubleshooter the most. I find it has all the tools I need daily, in a size I can manage. It's not ideal for camping, missing the saw and all. I have a Champion I sometimes take hiking, but I end up rarely ever needing the magnifier, and the fish scaler is just useless and annoying. The inline phillips driver is great though. But for camping I'm thinking about upgrading to a WorkChamp or Hercules.

Charles.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 07:30:38 PM
Really, I feel it would be better, as it helps with cleaning and maintenance. Not counting the Swisscard (minus blade) in my wallet, I've got four things on me right now: MT (Seaboard Steel, as it's got tough pliers), SAK (Standard), hard use folder (Eickhorn PRT-IV) and traditional folder (Boker USA 3588) for fine tasks.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 01:39:15 AM
I might be the guy Aloha referred to who carried the same Swiss Army Knife for decades. 25 years just the Vic Super Tinker. It went EVERYWHERE with me. Camping, biking, work. South America. Canada. A knockoff of a PST sat in my tackle box for years, but I barely ever used it.

Seems to me the more adaptable and reasonable we are, the more we can make due with less - thus closer to a One and Done.

No way would I approach a serious car repair with just the Super Tinker. Nor the PSTII. Hell,  not even the Surge.

We just have to be reasonable as to what a multi can do

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 07:24:49 AM
We do have to be reasonable with what a MT can do.  Good point ThundahBeagle.  I'd like to add we also have to realize our EDC does not have to solve all problems.  That one took me a moment to figure out and led to me not taking a full size MT with me everywhere. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 08:14:46 AM
We do have to be reasonable with what a MT can do.  Good point ThundahBeagle.  I'd like to add we also have to realize our EDC does not have to solve all problems.  That one took me a moment to figure out and led to me not taking a full size MT with me everywhere.

Agreed :tu: There are many things beyond the capabilities of any multitool, where reaching a dedicated tool is not too difficult...

us Offline Pacu

Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 11:22:26 PM

Agreed :tu: There are many things beyond the capabilities of any multitool, where reaching a dedicated tool is not too difficult...

I hate it when I need an actual screwdriver and have to use my Wave. Sure it's got the bits but what a PITA to use the flathead on a stainless wallplate that shows all hints of scratching. Tool cart is in a parking lot on campus in the trailer, in Texas heat makes that trailer a kiln. You can really hurt yourself by not using a dedicated tool and trying to get by with just a multitool. I got a full palm blood blister from using my Wave to loosen a bolt way up in the ceiling on a lift. My tools were on the floor, I was trying to save a few minutes.  :facepalm:
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 02:50:22 PM
Funny enough, my one true companion turned out to be a Swiss +Tech Utilikey that hides on my key chain. I have found my most used tool is a small Phillips driver...go figure. This after years carrying a knifeless Fuse...not to mention trying countless other models over the years.

Everyone has different needs, etc. 
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 03:07:47 PM
I thought or think that these MT are really just what I use when I am not near my real tools.

I have planned to not compromise any jobs that I do by using a tool that is not really up to the task both for the jobs sake and for my sake.

In many cases though the MT IS up to the task and I do not hesitate then but if I need a regular wrench and don't have one with me then I wait or make do and return as needed.

Almost all of my work has to last and be done right so I can not afford to try a tool for a challenge or whim in general,I am not sure that I understand who can?

Sadly I was happy mostly with the Spirit X until I bought the Centerdrive and now I am back to needing a decent screwdriver again where I thought I was OK when I just had the Spirit.

The Spirit though kicks the Centerdrives butt in many other ways and this is the heart of the conundrum for me!

I also have a tough time terminating many wire connections or crimping with a MT.

The only way to "One & Done" for me is to carry a bag with tools.

But it is entertaining trying usually too.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 07:34:30 PM
To be honest, after years and years of buying every Multi that sparked my interest, and changing my carry way too often, my wallet got sick of the spending.  I still truly love multitools, but for me the novelty of a new one far outweighed the added(if any could be added) utility the new tool provided. 

Case in point, I carried a Blast for YEARS before discovering this site, and even after trying every tool available from 2009 to 2013-ish, I didn't find any tool to be too much more or less useful for my purposes than the blast was.  I did settle on a Rebar in 2013 and I've been carrying it since.  I've been a Machinist, Security Guard, and Chief of Maintenance at a Hotel in that time and I always carried the Rebar and did just fine.  Even today, I have my own handyman business alongside my dayjob and my Rebar does just fine.  It's often only used as a last resort because I have a truck toolbox full of the dedicated tools I need just steps away.

So yes, I believe in the "One and Done" possibility, because the tool that does that for you is simply the tool you carry the most.  I do miss having a new tool every other week but without that I've been able to pursue other hobbies. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 09:47:19 PM
In the 58mm SAK world I believe my Manager is my one and done.  I've not wanted more that this SAK provides.  I'm not one and done SAK wise however.  My 84mm one and done is looking to be my Salesman.  This SAK is everything the small Tinker was and more.  If only plus scales were an option  :dd:.  Not settled on a MT yet.  Nor a fixed blade.  Nor a 91mm SAK.   :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 09:55:44 PM
As a user, I never believed in one and done. And as a collector, I don´t want to either.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%