Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman MUT Mod questions

us Offline wharband

Leatherman MUT Mod questions
on: August 01, 2018, 10:17:19 PM
So I've had a MUT for alittle over 2 years, and its hands down my favorite multitool to date. But the more I use it, the more I need to adapt it to what I really need. Since I dont use it for its military purpose, I want to get rid of the rifle punch and its plastic piece, and fit in a pair of surge scissors and maybe a file? The rifle punch has that huge mount so I think the room is there for it. Only issue is I've never modded a leatherman before, and have no idea what I'm doing. Should I have someone else do the work? Help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Leatherman MUT Mod questions
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:24:35 PM
I wonder if it would be less time consuming (time is money) and cheaper to buy a 'New-style' second-hand Surge? :think:

Just a thought. One of the MT mod gods should be here to chime in at some point. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:00 PM
IF things easily fit (I don't know) then you can easily do it yourself. If you need to do things like remove metal then it gets harder.

us Offline wharband

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:07:18 PM
I dont really like the surge, too many tools I wont use. So modding my MUT is my course of action. I already have the scissors and file, so it's just a question of installing them.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 04:37:38 AM
I dont really like the surge, too many tools I wont use. So modding my MUT is my course of action. I already have the scissors and file, so it's just a question of installing them.

From what I remember, the pivot size on the scraper and punch side are different. I put in a 91mm sak scissor with pivot hole enlarged to 5.5mm on the scraper side before. Punch side, I think it's 4.5mm or something. These are all based on memory... I could be wrong. I am quite sure the surge scissors will not work because u need a liner lock for it to function. Unless u make a liner lock for it..

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:22:31 AM
From what I remember, the pivot size on the scraper and punch side are different. I put in a 91mm sak scissor with pivot hole enlarged to 5.5mm on the scraper side before. Punch side, I think it's 4.5mm or something. These are all based on memory... I could be wrong. I am quite sure the surge scissors will not work because u need a liner lock for it to function. Unless u make a liner lock for it..
Don't know too much about MUTs... so take the following with multiple pinches of salt... but having said that here's some speculation for you:
- As the punch and scraper are on the same pivot, isn't it likely that they have the same size hole? I.e. both at 5.5 mm? Or did LM do something fancy with that pivot?
- It's true that Surge scissors (which have a 5.5 mm hole) are liner-locked. Now, depending on the nature of the lock for the MUT punch I can see the following options: 1 - If this is also a liner lock of the same size as the Surge's then you're obviously fine. 2. If it's a smaller size liner lock than the Surge's you might be able to carefully file down the scissors' lock surface to match. 3. If it's a larger size liner lock than the Surge's you're out of luck I'm afraid, unless you want to weld on some metal and file it down. 4. It might be a profile lock rather than a liner lock - in which case a Surge liner lock profile can probably be filed down to the required profile lock shape if this is similar to that of a ST300 or Wave/Rebar (I did something similar with a Surge saw/file blade holder which I put into a ST300 handle). Depending on pivot size you might also need a bushing with 5.5 mm outside and the pivot size as inside diameter.

As to the file, depending on available space, locking mechanism and pivot sizes, the following options come to mind:
Rebar file: Pivot size 4.8 mm, profile lock
Wave file: Pivot size 5.5 mm (I think, off the top of my head), liner lock. There is enough material to make this into a 4.8 mm profile lock that fits into a Rebar.
ST300 file: Pivot size 5.5 mm, liner lock. Here too there is enough material to make this into a 4.8 mm profile lock that fits into e.g. a Rebar (or a SOG PAD). But you'll need to remove more material, judging from what I can see on pics of the MUT.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:30:47 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:33 AM
Don't know too much about MUTs... so take the following with multiple pinches of salt... but having said that here's some speculation for you:
- As the punch and scraper are on the same pivot, isn't it likely that they have the same size hole? I.e. both at 5.5 mm? Or did LM do something fancy with that pivot?
- It's true that Surge scissors (which have a 5.5 mm hole) are liner-locked. Now, depending on the nature of the lock for the MUT punch I can see the following options: 1 - If this is also a liner lock of the same size as the Surge's then you're obviously fine. 2. If it's a smaller size liner lock than the Surge's you might be able to carefully file down the scissors' lock surface to match. 3. If it's a larger size liner lock than the Surge's you're out of luck I'm afraid, unless you want to weld on some metal and file it down. 4. It might be a profile lock rather than a liner lock - in which case a Surge liner lock profile can probably be filed down to the required profile lock shape if this is similar to that of a ST300 or Wave/Rebar (I did something similar with a Surge saw/file blade holder which I put into a ST300 handle). Depending on pivot size you might also need a bushing with 5.5 mm outside and the pivot size as inside diameter.

As to the file, depending on available space, locking mechanism and pivot sizes, the following options come to mind:
Rebar file: Pivot size 4.8 mm, profile lock
Wave file: Pivot size 5.5 mm (I think, off the top of my head), liner lock. There is enough material to make this into a 4.8 mm profile lock that fits into a Rebar.
ST300 file: Pivot size 5.5 mm, liner lock. Here too there is enough material to make this into a 4.8 mm profile lock that fits into e.g. a Rebar (or a SOG PAD). But you'll need to remove more material, judging from what I can see on pics of the MUT.

Hope this helps.

Yeah.. It's a special kind pivot Leatherman uses.. So it different size on both sides.. The scraper and punch are slip joints and non locking..  :cheers:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 04:36:08 PM
 :o no locks on these tools? Then reprofiling scissors or a file should not be critical. Thanks for the info Sam  :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline tommywp

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 12:00:27 AM

Sam - Do you have a post or pics of the Vic Scissors on the MUT?
 :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 08:27:24 AM

Sam - Do you have a post or pics of the Vic Scissors on the MUT?
 :cheers:

I did it quite some time ago and have since removed it. I can put them together again though. I see if I can do it tonight.  :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 07:58:24 PM
Here you go. I put it together again. Note that the pivot size on the scrapper is either 6 or 6.5mm, the punch side is 5.5mm. I have a pair of 91mm sak scissors that was pre drilled to fit a wave/charge so it drops wight into the punch side.

These are the additional parts required. A scissors with hole enlarged to 5.5mm, a spring washer ( I used a 6mm without any issue) and a Wave male post screw.

The scissors doesn't lock, but there's no issue whatsoever. Still cuts like how a sak scissors do amazingly.

The spring washer helps to keep the scissors closed in the bay. Its strong enough to counter the sak's spring.

The layer arrangement.

:cheers:hope this helps.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 04:59:26 AM
Thanks for taking the time to swap the scissors back in Sam. Nice job on that mod. If it weren’t for needing the Wave post screw, I’d give it a shot this weekend. Would have to use a Dremmel and  grinding rod to enlarge the scissor whole, but I think I remember reading that others have got that to work.

:salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD