Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Giving the Compact a go for edc

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Giving the Compact a go for edc
on: August 02, 2018, 08:33:09 AM
Finally found a Compact at a price I liked.  I've been carrying a Climber for a couple years, see how it goes with a few less tools.  I do like that I'll have a backup pen in my pocket.   
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 260.76 KB)

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: Giving the Compact a go for edc
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:44 AM
I think you won't be disappointed. I myself don't own a Compact, but I have its two closest relatives, the direct predecessor, the Golfer (no hook on the back) and the DofE (rounded blade, Phillips instead of the corkscrew) and these two are my most frequently carried SAK's. I switched from the Climber as well, and I do not feel it's a downgrade in any sense.

And in general I really like the combo tool, Vic really nailed it with that one, saving a layer without losing much functionality, if at all.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:00:56 AM by Exeter »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:55:50 AM
I think you won't be disappointed. I myself don't own a Compact, but I have its two closest relativest, the direct predecessor, the Golfer (no hook on the back) and the DofE (rounded blade, Phillips instead of the corkscrew) and these two are my most frequently carried SAK's. I switched from the Climber as well, and I do not feel it's a downgrade in any sense.

And in general I really like the combo tool, Vic really nailed it with that one, saving a layer without losing much functionality, if at all.

General I!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:59:16 AM
Got both models. Like the Climber but it's a bit heavy and stocky to pocket carry with ease. The Compact gives you awlmost the same capabilities (minus the two sizes screw drivers) in a much thinner, lighter package.

I added plus scales to my Climber, so it hasn't got less tools than the Compact (except for the nail file but it's so bad that it doesn't count).

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 11:02:38 AM
I think you won't be disappointed. I myself don't own a Compact, but I have its two closest relativest, the direct predecessor, the Golfer (no hook on the back) and the DofE (rounded blade, Phillips instead of the corkscrew) and these two are my most frequently carried SAK's. I switched from the Climber as well, and I do not feel it's a downgrade in any sense.

General I!

Previously Major Me, but I got promoted.   ;)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 02:08:23 PM
I've been EDC'n the Compact for about 2 months now and LOVE it. With the pocket clip and pull only know it's there when I need it.

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 03:15:19 PM
My only wish is that the Compact had an awl in place of the Corkscrew. Even so, I think the Compact makes a great EDC.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:35:45 PM
Go for it.  You'll never know if you dont give it a shot.  The plus scales to me are such a wonderful way to get a few extra goodies.  The pin has helped me on a few occasions and the pen is terrific when you need it.  I personally stopped carrying a pen when I have my plus scale SAK with me.  Sadly my 84mm doesn't have them. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:41:35 PM
I've been EDC'n the Compact for about 2 months now and LOVE it. With the pocket clip and pull only know it's there when I need it.
(Image removed from quote.)

Is that a pen in your Compact or are you glad to see me?...

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Harris

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 04:30:16 PM
Could the hook on the compact be replaced with an awl by someone with sufficient skill?  Would if fit and function correctly? 

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 04:37:31 PM
Love the compact!  It’s been an edc favorite of mine for years now.   

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 04:39:16 PM
Could the hook on the compact be replaced with an awl by someone with sufficient skill?  Would if fit and function correctly?

No! No! Leave the Hook alone!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Harris

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 04:43:43 PM
Sorry! I have no use for the hook.  On the other hand, I use the awl quite often.  I might change my edc to a Compact if it could be modified without a lot of fuss.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 05:42:05 PM
I have been retired since 2015 and have the luxury of wearing gym trunks around the house during the summer and warm-ups during the winter. My summer EDC is an Executive and my winter EDC is a Compact.  Too bad that there is not a Tinker version of the Compact since I would prefer a lower profile tool than the corkscrew. Thanks to the scissors and the Plus scales, the Compact punches way above its weight. Tucking the screw driver in the corkscrew adds even more function. The Compact is very handy as an EDC!

Jim

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 06:25:08 PM
Sorry! I have no use for the hook.  On the other hand, I use the awl quite often.  I might change my edc to a Compact if it could be modified without a lot of fuss.

No prob. There's an ongoing "war" between pro-hook and anti-hook around here. Maybe in the Mod forum you can find some info on that transformation you want.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 06:26:20 PM
I have been retired since 2015 and have the luxury of wearing gym trunks around the house during the summer and warm-ups during the winter. My summer EDC is an Executive and my winter EDC is a Compact.  Too bad that there is not a Tinker version of the Compact since I would prefer a lower profile tool than the corkscrew. Thanks to the scissors and the Plus scales, the Compact punches way above its weight. Tucking the screw driver in the corkscrew adds even more function. The Compact is very handy as an EDC!

Jim

So, you're saying you're the exact opposite of most people here...

:think: :think:

Show content
Your EDC gets bigger when it's cold.

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 07:02:37 PM
Actually, I was thinking about decades of dressing for work with long sleeved shirts and ties and now it's casual dress all the time. I consider this change pure luxury!

Jim

So, you're saying you're the exact opposite of most people here...

:think: :think:

Show content
Your EDC gets bigger when it's cold.

:whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 07:16:23 PM
Actually, I was thinking about decades of dressing for work with long sleeved shirts and ties and now it's casual dress all the time. I consider this change pure luxury!

Right there with you, Jim.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 07:17:17 PM
My shirt and tie carry was a Cadet or a Classic. Leatherman in the briefcase.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 07:20:58 PM

Harris, I'm going to go with "yes" to your question. But! I'm not a mod'er and might not be giving you the right answer.

I'd like to keep the hook and switch out the corkscrew. Although, for somethings the corkscrew can be has handy as the hook, so, I might be satisfied with a corkscrew/awl Compact, too.  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 08:04:40 PM
I think the awl is too narrow to properly fit the hook spot.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 08:11:53 PM
I am enjoying this thread. For me the Compact is a wonderful tool, but I am too attached to a full opener layer and two blades to bring myself to carry it. The Super Tinker that is in my pocket right now just wont get up and leave space for anyone else at the moment. Plus I get a hook and an awl, so that's pretty neat!

I really do wish I wasn't so attached to the full opener and blade layers, cause every time I look at my compact it is so slim and sexy. My pocket wants it inside of it!  :drool:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:58 PM

Jim

Jim, you might wanna take a look at the DofE. The blade's a bit funny, but it has the Phillips instead of the corkscrew.

DofE.jpg
* DofE.jpg (Filesize: 52.81 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 09:05:52 PM
Hmmm...I hadn't heard of this one.  I do prefer the standard blade (why I went with the Spirit X multi-tool). I'll give this a closer look--thanks!

Jim

Jim

Jim, you might wanna take a look at the DofE. The blade's a bit funny, but it has the Phillips instead of the corkscrew.

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 10:29:28 PM
It's subtle, but I am noticing the difference with one less layer in my pocket.   No major tasks yet for Compact Day #1, the combo tool does seem to be a better staple puller though. 

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 11:29:16 PM
I'm not a fan of the combo tool, but getting a knife and scissors in a 2 layer SAK is worth the compromise. Add in the Plus scales and extra tools and the Compact is definitely a keeper!

Jim

It's subtle, but I am noticing the difference with one less layer in my pocket.   No major tasks yet for Compact Day #1, the combo tool does seem to be a better staple puller though.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 02:18:54 AM
I carried a Compact for several years before the Pioneer X came out.  Like the Leatherman Squirts, it "punches above its weight".
I found it a good compromise of functionality and size/weight.

The Plus scales are a good idea, but I found the pen to be too skinny to use except in a real emergency.
- Steve

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 03:49:37 AM

Is that a pen in your Compact or are you glad to see me?...

:D :D :D :D

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:48 AM
I tried really hard to like the Compact as an EDC, honest.....
But for me, and for the functions that important for me to justify carrying a sak it just falls short im afraid....
Apart from a small knife blade i must have some reliable drivers, pry bar and the like with me. It's every bit as important as the cutting tasks. The combo tool is good if you just need to use it for its intended use, but for a pry bar, screw driver that can handle medium torque, scraper, etc, it just doesn't work for me. I can do 90% of what scissors do with the blades, just not as easily, but that doesn't bother me, and i can always use the ones on my key chain classic.
If it had the Phillips instead of the corkscrew at least it would have a light/ medium torque SD. The plus scales only add a pen, while handy not of huge value to me.
If i really only wanted the same functionality of the compact, id rather carry the Executive, much smaller and thinner  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:14:08 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 11:31:05 AM

Major Tasks!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD