Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC steel preference.....?

Nix · 56 · 2246

Poll

Is there a knife steel you prefer?

Stainless, e.g. 420HC, H1, Vic steel
12 (31.6%)
Semi-stainless, e.g. 154CM, ZDP-189, CTS-XHP
8 (21.1%)
High-carbon, e.g. 1095, O-1, Opinel
6 (15.8%)
No real preference, I just need some knife in my pocket
12 (31.6%)
I never left the bronze age, e.g. bronze, ceramic, flint
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
EDC steel preference.....?
on: August 02, 2018, 04:00:24 PM
We live in the Golden Age of pocket knives and multitools. Choices abound. Before heading out the door for the day, the average MTo'er will need to make a decision (or has already made a decision) about what kind of knife or multitool he or she is going to carry that day.

Is the steel in your knife something you think about? Does it matter to you? If so, which steel do you prefer, in general?

I have a strong preference for high-staining, high-carbon steel, but, more often than not, I'm carrying a semi-stainless steel like 154CM or S30V. And I've always got a Victorinox with me. Despite this mixed up selection, I'm voting for semi-stainless as I like the performance and relatively low maintenance of these steels.

Do you have a specific steel you prefer?

Do the planned activities for your day influence your choice of tools?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: EDC steel preference.....?
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:06:21 PM
No real preference here.  I have knives that have a variety of blade materials (1095, 420HC, whatever it is that Vic uses, S30V, S35VN, N690Co ...) and can't really tell the difference if they're sharp.  I appreciate the ease with which you can sharpen Vic knives, love the look of a well used 1095 blade and like the toughness and edge holding of the super steels.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:47:38 PM
I value ease of sharpening and corrosion resistance the most,  :tu:
then toughness and ease of maintenance (non-chippy, non-bendy, non-corrosive and non-brittle)  ::)

edge retention is not high on my property list, and price is important too (expensive is avoided, inexpensive is better to me)  :salute:

My  :2tu: ones.    AUS8, H1, CTS-BD1, 420HC, 440B, 9Cr14MoV, 14C28N, 4116 Krupp, and most Sandvik steels, and also CTS-XHP and S30V
I avoid, generally:     D2, 1065-75-95 series, M4, S90V, M390, and most CPM steels, 5Cr and 3Cr, 440C, AUS6

want to try: Vanax and LC200N

I guess that's it  :)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:15:26 PM
I voted no real preference, which is usually the case except when it comes to paddling/work where i use H1 as its low maintenance and can be left without washing and won't rust.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:31:18 PM
I couldn’t really vote. I carry a s110V for urban needs because I know I have access and time to sharpen properly. But if I know the situation will change otherwise then I’ll use AUS8, 1095, etc.

But I’ll admit the s110v was a recent change for me. I may go back to using mid tier steels as I truly believed those steels are ideal for edc as a great balance for sharpening ease, corrosion resistance, etc.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:00 PM
Stainless. Patina = dirt.  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:08:23 PM
Being an enthusiast I have no problem carrying and using anything from 420HC to s35vn to laminated HAP40.

But given the choice I usually go for something in a good stainless like s30v or a super steel like CTS-204P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:09:30 PM by shark_za »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:09:26 PM
 :tu:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 08:17:47 PM
I voted semi stainless even though some of those steels listed are more stain less than the stainless listed.

Stainless is my preference by far but only the newer steels. It does not have to be the latest greatest
but steels like 420hc and SAK, I do not use anymore.

Steels from AUS-8 to s90v if i like the knife I'll buy the steel but I won't buy the knife for the steel.

Like shark, given a choice i prefer a better steel.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 08:22:55 PM
I'm definitely willing to pay a little more to get a 154cm blade on a multitool. Bob Loveless was right: 154cm makes a nice knife blade.  :multi:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 08:28:03 PM
Most blades I carry/use are 420HC and 440C stainless (I won't be upset if I leave  cheap knife laying around and it goes missing). I sweat a lot(kind of sweat that drips from pants and shirt, then leaves white marks of salt) and non-stainless blades get spotty and pitted in a day or two on my belt or in my pocket. I would have to oil a non-stainless blade several times a day. Can't be bothered.  :ahhh

Stainless blades will spot up on my as well, but it takes a week or two, then being stainless, it is easy to clean off the surface spots. :)

I like carbon steel patina, but I just can't carry them. I have several carbon steel knives, but they sit clean and spot free in the collections.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 07:11:56 AM
I've always found it interesting that even the most snobby of knife steel aficionados carry SAKs.  I have no issue keeping my "higher end" steels sharp as others tend to bring up when talking about steels.  That out the way, I like the "higher end" steels and many carbon steels as well.  I've got a good variety I think but I'd like to try a few others like 3V, 10V, Elmax, and some of the interesting steels Spyderco uses.   

Lets start with Vic steel.  I have no issues.  Razor sharp and performs each and every time.  Even the most snobby of knife snobs carry a SAK from what I can see and read. 

Steels on my MT, fixed blades, and folders.  My S30V MT blade and Spyderco Native, 154CM MT and folder,  ZDP189 Sypderco which I like very much, 01, A2, 1095, and  :think:, oh and M390.  I like them all.  Does LMs 420HC work?  Of course it does.  I don't carry a stone or ceramic rods with my for work.  I also dont carry them for my off days.  I've had days where I've dulled my Vic blade and LM Wave blade.  Did they still cut?  Yes but when I can get more performance out of a higher end steel then why not?   
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 07:59:30 AM
I would say I'm rather obsessed with steel, but what I play with and what I carry are 2 different matters.

What I've established is 8Cr13 is not good enough for me, but H1 is. 

I have no doubt all the other fascinating steels are more than adequate, I just don't have the budget.  My only concern with some is sharpening, but I have no experience.

I 100% prefer carbon/tool steels, but for something I can carry in my pocket, rinse under the tap and throw back in my pocket without worrying about rust in unseen places is pretty good.

Voted for first option for the sake of H1, #2 is also good for me.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 08:02:09 AM
I'm sure most of you have seen this.......I need some M390 in my life  :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 12:51:54 PM
I sweat a lot(kind of sweat that drips from pants and shirt, then leaves white marks of salt) and non-stainless blades get spotty and pitted in a day or two on my belt or in my pocket. I would have to oil a non-stainless blade several times a day. Can't be bothered.  :ahhh

Stainless blades will spot up on my as well, but it takes a week or two, then being stainless, it is easy to clean off the surface spots. :)

being in a similar situation as you, GLBM; I wholeheartedly recommend you trying out an H1 blade,  :tu:
any of them, preferably in Serrated Edge  8)

It was an eye opener for me  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 03:02:23 PM
While I dont have H1 everything I've read about this steel and others experiences I agree with TP.  Might be a good test of this steel GLBM.  If I had one I'd send it your way for you to test. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 11:50:16 PM
I keep all my knives sharp, from low end 420 to super steels, and they all perform when I need to cut something. I am not a power user that cuts stuff 100 times a day anyway. My preference goes to stainless, though I have a few that take a patina, like this K390.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 12:06:54 AM
I like my 154cm. Great balance of all the advantages of different metals.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 01:16:44 PM
I like most steels  :tu: I really dont have any of the super steels but I do love H1 :like: it is just about maintenance free except for the sharpening part :D I have a PE blade and keep it sharp by just stropping with leather and a polishing compound  :tu: Other than that I will use just about any steel, even carbon with a patina ::) :D

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 07:43:26 PM
154CM is a very nice upgrade, thats still easy to sharpen.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 08:23:41 PM
I carried a Wave standard version 2 for years, sure the 420 blade gets dull quick but all I'm doing is busting tape , cutting into AV equipment packages so no biggie.

I find a Charge Ti with 154 and I'm loving it . Use it hard for bout 4 years now. I have little chips all up and down the blade and i was being a dumbass and broke the very tip off. Used it as a flathead in a pinch for a bit  :facepalm: That 154 would bite me quite a bit being super sharp.  :o :o

Now I'm back to a Wave Plus with 420HC which will keep me going until my Ti is back from getting some work.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 12:36:01 AM
I've tried lots of steels, but 154cm seems to be a good all-around balance for me.  :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 07:39:08 PM
I've tried lots of steels, but 154cm seems to be a good all-around balance for me.  :cheers:

lots of people like to criticise Emerson for still using that same steel in their knives since 15 years ago, but he gave a personal response to that last week,  ::)
I thought it was interesting especially to those in favor of 152CM/CPM154   :salute:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/emerson-explains-154-steel.1599731/page-1

and also, I know some of you (myself included) are very fond of the Buck 110,
do you know that Buck released an exclusive 110LW (lightweight) model this year with 154CM? It's called the Smokejumper  :tu:

https://www.skblades.com/product-page/the-smoke-jumper

Here's a thread about it, with pics  :dd: love that red color

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/smoke-jumper.1589850/
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 10:10:06 PM
I hadn't seen that Buck 110. Very cool.  :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 10:18:17 PM

lots of people like to criticise Emerson for still using that same steel in their knives since 15 years ago, but he gave a personal response to that last week,  ::)
I thought it was interesting especially to those in favor of 152CM/CPM154   :salute:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/emerson-explains-154-steel.1599731/page-1

and also, I know some of you (myself included) are very fond of the Buck 110,
do you know that Buck released an exclusive 110LW (lightweight) model this year with 154CM? It's called the Smokejumper  :tu:

https://www.skblades.com/product-page/the-smoke-jumper

Here's a thread about it, with pics  :dd: love that red color

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/smoke-jumper.1589850/

:like: Thanks for letting me know about this model. The price is excellent, provided it's about the same a leather sheath 420HC model is now. Upgraded steel, bright handles, and something a bit easier to tote around than some half-pound beast.  Glad I waited when I wanted to buy one at my local knife store shortly after they came out (but I still ended up buying a Nano Bantam), and this is only $10 more than what they wanted for the standard model 110LT.  And I really like that red and black nylon sheath.  Nylon is truly better for a working knife's sheath because it can be easily cleaned.

Now if only they'll start offering the LT frame in a myriad of colors in the custom shop--this same knife, but with a black coated blade would be awesome. And I'd really like an orange or blue one.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:25:30 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:32 AM
For me, it's both high carbon and stainless. Really, I don't care as long as it holds an edge well and is easy to resharpen. So far, Sandvik 12C27, as used by Mora and EKA has performed best in terms of edge retention and corrosion resistance, as well as ease of resharpening.   I cut up half a soft plastic (but still thick) kiddie pool with an EKA Swede 88, and it was still decently sharp. The Queen Big Chief I used (which is like an inch longer), which is 440A, had to be resharpened 3 times during the job on the other half.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 05:32:17 AM
I sweat a lot(kind of sweat that drips from pants and shirt, then leaves white marks of salt) and non-stainless blades get spotty and pitted in a day or two on my belt or in my pocket. I would have to oil a non-stainless blade several times a day. Can't be bothered.  :ahhh

being in a similar situation as you, GLBM; I wholeheartedly recommend you trying out an H1 blade,  :tu:
any of them, preferably in Serrated Edge  8)

It was an eye opener for me  :salute:
Thank you for the information, TP!  :cheers:
I've been curious as of late about H1. I rarely use serrated, so I would go plain edge, but I do like the look of them. :D

While I dont have H1 everything I've read about this steel and others experiences I agree with TP.  Might be a good test of this steel GLBM.  If I had one I'd send it your way for you to test. 
Thank you for the confirmation, Aloha! :cheers:

I will put an H1 knife on my "to get list" and find one to buy/carry soon. Would be nice  not worrying about the knife edge getting dull from just being in my pocket if I forget to oil it up. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 01:36:54 PM
I own a few non-stainless Damascus blades, otherwise it´s stainless all the way. Ease of maintenance being the most important reason.

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 05:50:00 PM
There you go steel nerds: :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 08:00:36 PM

Now if only they'll start offering the LT frame in a myriad of colors in the custom shop--this same knife, but with a black coated blade would be awesome. And I'd really like an orange or blue one.

for the 112 LT this seems like a real thing now (Scroll down a bit):  :salute:

https://www.gpknives.com/pre-order-knives.html
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%