Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade shape preferences?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Blade shape preferences?
on: August 22, 2018, 07:46:32 PM
Yes application of the knife is essential.  Don't y'all just like certainly shapes?

When you buy a knife is blade shape one of the considerations?  Yes I know, the purpose should dictate the shape.  The question is more general.  We all love our SAKs so this particular shape is familiar to most of us.  Its certainly an all purpose shape.  I actually like the Wenger blade a bit more than Vics.  The added belly is just something I like. 

I like a good point on my pocket knives.  Not a huge fan of the straight blade but the Spirit blade I do like.  That flat cutting surface is not familiar to me.  I lean towards a blade that begins to sweep upwards to the tip.  My Skele has a good shape.  It begins to sweep upwards very gradually to the tip.  My Waves blade begins at the tang then slightly towards the middle is goes up then begins to come down then begins the up swep to the point.  Could be my sharpening? 

I really like the shape of my Native.  That point is wicked.  I also really like the shape of the Dragon Fly.  Lots of belly on it and a nice tip.   I'm not using my Kershaw much but the blade shape is also appealing to me.  Its a fat blade in thickness and width.  I do like the belly with an up swept tip. 

I really like the clip point shape a lot.  That Kershaw black horse is sick.  One of the most iconic blade shapes IMO around.  Dang I love me some clip point blades.

Fixed blade shapes I'm most familiar with are kitchen chef knives.  My most used ones begin a gradual sweep towards the tip which tends to be nearly center of the blade.  Really aids in chopping on flat surfaces.  I use a cleaver which is mainly flat from tang to "tip".  Its a nice knife but I prefer my chefs knifes for every day kitchen work.

I'm having trouble loading picture at the moment.  I'll follow up later with one. 
IMG_5663 2.jpg
* IMG_5663 2.jpg (Filesize: 196.55 KB)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:05:40 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Blade shape preferences?
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:21:19 PM
My favorite seems to a clippoint but I also like spear and lambsfoot

This my favorite clipoint shape

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:38:00 PM
In general, I like a drop point: one still gets a bit of piercing ability, but there is plenty of belly. The drop point remains popular in hunting circles for dressing game because the 'drop', just a curvy clip really, can be guided to avoid perforating the visceral cavity.

Clip points work for me, too. Not sure why, per se. Maybe because that slender tip can be useful in so many ways. Or maybe it's just aesthetics.  Regardless, the clip point seems to have stood the test of time, and I like it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:08 PM
I use a cleaver which is mainly flat from tang to "tip".  Its a nice knife but I prefer my chefs knifes for every day kitchen work.

I find I use a cleaver more and more in the kitchen. I like being able to use the broad blade to scoop up cut materials, e.g. chopped onions.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:08:09 PM
I use a cleaver which is mainly flat from tang to "tip".  Its a nice knife but I prefer my chefs knifes for every day kitchen work.

I find I use a cleaver more and more in the kitchen. I like being able to use the broad blade to scoop up cut materials, e.g. chopped onions.

I have 2 but selectively use them.  My thinner of the 2 was used quite a bit back when I first got it then for years afterwards.  Only recently have I not used it as much.  The thicker of the 2 is my chicken chopper or heaver cleaver. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:19:06 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've said it before Stevey - that is the most beautiful pocket knife - absolutely perfectly shaped blade!  :hatsoff:

Edit: Atrocious grammar I know, but you know what I mean...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:21:50 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:51 PM
I have 2 but selectively use them.  My thinner of the 2 was used quite a bit back when I first got it then for years afterwards.  Only recently have I not used it as much.  The thicker of the 2 is my chicken chopper or heaver cleaver. 

Same here, my friend.

The one on the might might have been labelled "Chinese Vegetable Knife". Probably could be called "Chinese All-purpose Knife". It really can do all sorts of things. (By the way, it was actually made in Japan. Go figure.)

The one on the bottom, the ominously branded Dexter, is a 1/4' think or more. It is more of an old-school European cleaver capable of breaking down a chicken or reducing a '68 Buick to spare parts. I'm always careful when using it because I don't want an over-enthusiastic chop to cut the house in half. That'd be awkward.

The Chinese knife gets used far more. Thin blade is a wicked slicer. The high-carbon steel takes a brilliant edge. I try not to chop hard with the Chinese knife because I worry about rolling the thin edge, but it does chop well, too.

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:47 PM
For me, it is reverse-tanto by far. I use my knife for lots of non-knife things, and a strong tip is great, along with balance and belly.

Close second is drop point for well rounded utility

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 09:47:49 PM
The Chinese cleaver is thinner and wicked sharp.  I'm confident using it as my only kitchen knife but with other nice knives I tend to not grab this first.  I got it 20 plus years ago in San Francisco.  I actually carried onto the plane in my carry on.  They x rayed my bag and both the knife and I went on about our way. 

Its high carbon steel so the patina has developed over that time.  Its been bullet proof and testament to a lessor priced and basic steel knife can do wonders when taken care of.

The other one may be a knock off.  Its a beast in hand as like you say I'm careful with it as I don't want to chop thru my granite counters.   
IMG_5666.jpg
* IMG_5666.jpg (Filesize: 126.8 KB)
IMG_5667.jpg
* IMG_5667.jpg (Filesize: 211.04 KB)
IMG_5669.jpg
* IMG_5669.jpg (Filesize: 147.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:31 PM
Love that Chinese knife!   :like:

Great patina!

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 11:04:51 PM
 :iagree:  :like:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:16:40 PM
To me, it really doesn't matter, but I have a preference for the sheepsfoot. Easy to sharpen due to no curve, good for both fine detail, and emergency cutting.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 02:01:53 AM
I'm a big fan of the spey blade myself.  I use my knives to cut open packages a good bit and the tip doesn't damage the contents.
Barry

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 03:56:35 AM
Based on what I carry the most I would have to say a drop point or clip blade. A drop point like the Rat 2 has makes a good do it all utility blade.
The same goes for the clip blade with the added benefit of being able to surgery on splinters.  :)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 05:51:05 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've said it before Stevey - that is the most beautiful pocket knife - absolutely perfectly shaped blade!  :hatsoff:

Edit: Atrocious grammar I know, but you know what I mean...

:cheers: :tu:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:35:41 PM by SteveC »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 09:54:21 AM
My favourite blade shape as a daily carry pocket knife is the clip point ,but Esee ate my favourite work / camp knife as there blafe shape works well for most jobs  :salute:
20180822_124807-01_crop_538x362.jpeg
* 20180822_124807-01_crop_538x362.jpeg (Filesize: 177.82 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 03:00:20 PM
 :drool: Esee...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 09:01:54 PM

The Chinese knife gets used far more. Thin blade is a wicked slicer. The high-carbon steel takes a brilliant edge. I try not to chop hard with the Chinese knife because I worry about rolling the thin edge, but it does chop well, too.

ah, yes,  ::) quality old Chinese cleavers

:D
and with that, I'll see myself out until the 28th.  :whistle:   :hatsoff:
Have a great time folks!!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 09:09:49 PM
Farewell, TP  :salute:

May your MT’s be of good use to you :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00