Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Dime Review

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Re: Gerber Dime Review
Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 07:20:40 AM
my Gerber Dime broke twice. first when I slowly pull out the scissors, it broke off.  second the plier broke off, I never even use it.
now replace it with Leatherman PS4.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 02:11:12 PM
well I've broken 3 of them in one way or another.
My 5 LM (2 Micra, 3 Squirts) are doing fine and are even older
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 09:57:13 PM
I bought the Dime and edc it for about a week. It is something that I woukdn't care if I loose it.
It is not even 5% the quality of the Leatherman P4. I was very disappointed.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #33 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:25 AM
I know this thread is almost a year old, but who doesn't want to read one one quick reply ?

I tested the Dime  for 5 months in hopes of it being another small plier based tool to carry, just to have another option if I wanted.

I only carry the small " keychain" sized multitools along with a knife , either a traditional or SAK for EDC. ( Occasionally a Kershaw Leek)

Anyway, the cutters on the pliers proved to be totally unacceptable for my  purposes.

As mentioned, the cutters push plastic jacketed wire ( 18 guage ) and cable ties away from the cutters when handle pressure is applied and don't cut.

I have a couple more minor complaints, but the pliers function is the main one and a deal breaker.

If the pliers are substandard, what's the point in even carrying the Dime?

My LM PS4 is the clear choice over the Dime which was found wanting.

Thanks

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 12:22:55 PM
Don't disagree with you, it could be made so much better. However it is half to one third the price of the Squirt. Given that it probably isn't completely fair to judge it directly on par with the LM. If Victorinox ever made a keychain plier based multi based on the Classic it would be all I needed in my pocket

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 03:13:34 PM
Don't disagree with you, it could be made so much better. However it is half to one third the price of the Squirt. Given that it probably isn't completely fair to judge it directly on par with the LM. If Victorinox ever made a keychain plier based multi based on the Classic it would be all I needed in my pocket

Appreciate the view TazziRob.
Yes, it was only $12, but the lack of performance cancels the cost advantage of the Dime.
I personally wouldn't carry it if I had paid $6 for it.
But that's just me, others may feel differently.

I agree, the Vic Classic/Rambler form and function belongs in the Hall of Fame for superior  utility.

Thanks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD