Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walking sticks, trekking poles, ice axes, and canes

Nix · 44 · 2070

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Walking sticks, trekking poles, ice axes, and canes
Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 01:00:09 PM
I have heard that most snakes will slither away when they feel the vibrations of your footsteps. (No snakes here!)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:07 PM
Some rattle snakes are cranky and defensive. They'll hold their ground and menace one with a hiss and a spine-tinging rattle.   :o

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 07:37:05 PM
Out for a bit of a hike this morning. I took my favorite stick with me:

It's a nice piece of hickory. The top is wrapped with some bank line and a couple yards of duct tape. The bank line serves to increase the thickness and providea better grip. Also could be used for emergency shoe laces or other cordage need. The duct tape is just there for quick repairs or blister treatment.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 07:49:35 PM
Just a “little” line :whistle:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 05:08:19 AM
Couple yards.  ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 06:38:17 AM
I"ve often thought of taking an old shovel handle and doing a hiking stick from it.  Maybe do some carving on it and taper it towards the bottom.  I recall a video......  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:56 AM
I"ve often thought of taking an old shovel handle and doing a hiking stick from it.  Maybe do some carving on it and taper it towards the bottom.  I recall a video......  :think:
I thought of that, but then I also wanted to get one of those Chinese wax wood bo staffs, there suppose to be litterly unbreakable..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 02:55:51 PM
Bo staff seems like a great idea. The key would be to find a way to protect the tip from wear.

A threaded insert with a replaceable hex bolt might do the trick. A little blue thread locker to keep the bolt from backing out.....  :dunno:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 05:52:01 PM
I thought of that, but then I also wanted to get one of those Chinese wax wood bo staffs, there suppose to be litterly unbreakable..
JR

Aren't those practice weapons so they are extremely flexible so as not to hurt your sparing partner? I just wanted to say that flexible walking staff does not sound like the best idea...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 10:27:54 PM
JR

Aren't those practice weapons so they are extremely flexible so as not to hurt your sparing partner? I just wanted to say that flexible walking staff does not sound like the best idea...  :D
I know some do, I mean all woods have some flex. In the description it even says to use as a walking cane or hiking stick, then the guy stands on it between concrete blocks to show some flex, but then destroys the block..
JR

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 01:17:10 AM
JR

I know some do, I mean all woods have some flex. In the description it even says to use as a walking cane or hiking stick, then the guy stands on it between concrete blocks to show some flex, but then destroys the block..
JR

If he can stand on it then it think it is stiff enough? I seem to remember youtube videos where the staff used was more like wet spaghetti. Maybe there are different kinds for actually hitting someone and for training?  :think:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 02:24:03 AM
JR

JR

If he can stand on it then it think it is stiff enough? I seem to remember youtube videos where the staff used was more like wet spaghetti. Maybe there are different kinds for actually hitting someone and for training?  :think:
I would it should be good, here watch.. there’s another video saying it can be carved and other stuff, the guy also goes after a vans windshield destroying it, but it’s the sales video..
JR
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ermrezga8

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 11:41:49 AM

I would it should be good, here watch.. there’s another video saying it can be carved and other stuff, the guy also goes after a vans windshield destroying it, but it’s the sales video..
JR
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ermrezga8

Ok, that seems sturdy enough for any kind of walking aid human could need.  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: September 17, 2018, 06:25:12 AM
Thats a wicked stick.  I'd imagine it'll do  :think: :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations