Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Minimalist challenge...

dkop1 · 228 · 7040

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Re: Minimalist challenge...
Reply #60 on: August 13, 2018, 08:03:23 AM
Day 6

Today it's the DofE. I used the toothpick (no photo :) ) and the blade to cut a shrink wrap froma bottle of mouthwash. Did not need more tools than this SAK can offer.
I think these would really be the best tool layout for the "my first victorinox" model. Surely crafty children could make use of the scissors and screwdriver!

Absolutely agree! Also, the same configuration, but with the normal blade - so essentially the Compact with Phillips instead of the corkscrew - could be a very strong seller in general.

Do you think they use the rounded blade on this because.... Well... England? And their ridiculous view of knives as death machines?

I'm quite a fan of the corkscrew on the compact that holds the eyeglass screwdriver, as I seldom find the back-mounted Phillips useful except for tightening  cabinet and drawer knobs
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:04:25 AM by dkop1 »
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: August 13, 2018, 08:08:45 AM
Day 6

Today it's the DofE. I used the toothpick (no photo :) ) and the blade to cut a shrink wrap froma bottle of mouthwash. Did not need more tools than this SAK can offer.
I think these would really be the best tool layout for the "my first victorinox" model. Surely crafty children could make use of the scissors and screwdriver!

Absolutely agree! Also, the same configuration, but with the normal blade - so essentially the Compact with Phillips instead of the corkscrew - could be a very strong seller in general.

Do you think they use the rounded blade on this because.... Well... England? And their ridiculous view of knives as death machines?

Hmmm, not exactly. The Duke of Edinburgh Award is for youth between 14 and 20, and as far as I know the recipients get this SAK among other things, so this is a model made for teens (kids) as well (just like the "My first..."), but I'm sure someone from the UK could explain it much better and in-depth.

us Offline dkop1

Reply #62 on: August 13, 2018, 08:12:09 AM
Day 6

Hmmm, not exactly. The Duke of Edinburgh Award is for youth between 14 and 20, and as far as I know the recipients get this SAK among other things, so this is a model made for teens (kids) as well (just like the "My first..."), but I'm sure someone from the UK could explain it much better and in-depth.

Aha! I had looked briefly into the award, but did not realize that it was aimed towards younger people. I think I had my first pointy knife at 8 years old, that I got from selling popcorn as a cub scout. I suppose it's a bit different across the pond though. Still a really neat tool! If I ever get into modding, maybe I'll hack together my own.....

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #63 on: August 13, 2018, 06:59:10 PM
Day 7:

I doubt that the folks who patented this can opener back in the 50's(?) envisioned staple removing as one of its many functions
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #64 on: August 13, 2018, 07:00:42 PM
Day 6:

Changed out the paracord lanyard for a leather one. Seems to fit the knife better
Agreed!  That'd look great on a wood scaled knife too.

Yeah, the leather looks good.  :tu:

Thanks guys!  :cheers:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #65 on: August 13, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Day 7:

I doubt that the folks who patented this can opener back in the 50's(?) envisioned staple removing as one of its many functions

Think again...

:pok: :pok:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staple_(fastener)

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #66 on: August 13, 2018, 07:30:20 PM
Day 7:

Think again...

8) 8)

Yeah, the staples themselves have been around awhile.

I meant that the designers likely didn't intend for the can opener to be used as a staple removal tool.  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:31:50 PM by gustophersmob »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #67 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:47 PM
Day 7:

Think again...

8) 8)

I meant that the designers likely didn't intend for the can opener to be used as a staple removal tool.  :tu:

Well, they thought about using it as a screwdriver. Maybe they awlso thought about using it to remove staples...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #68 on: August 13, 2018, 07:57:17 PM
Day 7:

Think again...

8) 8)

Well, they thought about using it as a screwdriver. Maybe they awlso thought about using it to remove staples...

Yeah, you're right, I'm sure they could have.

I didn't really explain my thinking very well. Basically, I was thinking about how those folks probably designed a tool with certain uses in mind, and would likely be surprised to see how it is being applied to solve problems in different ways ~70 years later.  The can opener may not be a good example, but the "+ PAT" stamp is what made me think about it today.  Maybe the corkscrew or hook would be better examples of odd, creative uses beyond the original design intent.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 13, 2018, 10:03:29 PM
Day 7

I thought I'll mix it up a bit this week, so I'm going to rotate through my other minimalist SAK's, today it was the Waiter. I used it to open an envelope. I must say, somehow my SAK's are seriously underutilised in this challenge so far. Anyway, this might be a blessing in disguise, as some of them would not be able to handle tasks that other, beefier models could. ...or would they? Maybe I'll learn something during these 30 days. :)
minimalist_7.jpg
* minimalist_7.jpg (Filesize: 30.2 KB)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #70 on: August 13, 2018, 10:07:58 PM
Day 7

I thought I'll mix it up a bit this week, so I'm going to rotate through my other minimalist SAK's, today it was the Waiter. I used it to open an envelope. I must say, somehow my SAK's are seriously underutilised in this challenge so far. Anyway, this might be a blessing in disguise, as some of them would not be able to handle tasks that other, beefier models could. ...or would they? Maybe I'll learn something during these 30 days. :)

It seems like a common theme amongst SAKaholics is surprise at just how much they can handle.  I realize the 93mm alox line is built a bit more sturdy, but if there is something my pioneer can't handle, I really should be going for a fixed blade or dedicated tool.

I say use 'em hard and see what they're made of!  ;)

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: August 14, 2018, 02:06:06 AM
Day 7:

Think again...

8) 8)

I didn't really explain my thinking very well. Basically, I was thinking about how those folks probably designed a tool with certain uses in mind, and would likely be surprised to see how it is being applied to solve problems in different ways ~70 years later.  The can opener may not be a good example, but the "+ PAT" stamp is what made me think about it today.  Maybe the corkscrew or hook would be better examples of odd, creative uses beyond the original design intent.
Regardless of the intent all those year ago, the opener on a Soldier/SI/Pioneer is the best tool for staple removing.  Even when I'm at home near my big tool chest, that's the tool I reach for.  And leather gloves!  Sooner or later the opener will slip on one of the staples and I'll skin a knuckle if I'm not wearing gloves.
- Steve

us Offline dkop1

Reply #72 on: August 14, 2018, 06:13:51 AM
So all... thoughts please. Heading to an emergency services social/public education campout this weekend. I do not have to cook. I'm looking to take a 2 layer 84/91mm with me as my  blade for the weekend to continue my minimalist challenge. I'll be doing communications and radio demos so it's not super critical that I have a saw. Any suggestions? I'm curious to see the responses so I'll happily take any and all responses, without regard to whether or not I own that model. I'm presently leaning towards the wenger highlander I just received in the mail.

us Offline dkop1

Reply #73 on: August 14, 2018, 06:19:04 AM
Day 8: Made some soup today with the black tinker. An hour or two later I located my beloved green plus scaled tinker! Whilst packing for the previously mentioned camping trip (left it in my bag...) So for now, the black handled backup tinker gets cleaned, oiled, and put back in storage for another day!
rps20180814_001429.jpg
* rps20180814_001429.jpg (Filesize: 79.66 KB)

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: August 14, 2018, 07:50:18 AM
So all... thoughts please. Heading to an emergency services social/public education campout this weekend. I do not have to cook. I'm looking to take a 2 layer 84/91mm with me as my  blade for the weekend to continue my minimalist challenge. I'll be doing communications and radio demos so it's not super critical that I have a saw. Any suggestions? I'm curious to see the responses so I'll happily take any and all responses, without regard to whether or not I own that model. I'm presently leaning towards the wenger highlander I just received in the mail.

For (camp) cooking the bigger the blade the better, so for that - in theory - I'd choose a 111 mm model, and keeping in mind the layer count it would be the Nomad (blade, proper openers, corkscew, awl).

Of course you said you will not be cooking and you'll want to take an 84/91 mm SAK, so I guess my pick would be the Tinker with proper openers, large blade, small blade, Phillips and awl. The Highlander is a nice knife, but having a smaller main blade as the only blade is a slight disadvantage. (Of course the Spartan is always an option, but the Phillips might be more useful in your situation than a corkscrew.)

The Compact/DofE are always excellent options when we're talking about minimalistic SAK's, but again, you'd only have one blade and a bit of a compromise in the form of the combo tool (still a very good tool in my eyes) but a pair of scissors is always a plus.

All in all, as you already have a Tinker (or two, now that you found the second one) and a Highlander, you can't really go wrong with either, but I'd give the edge to the Tinker simply because of its blade size and blade count.

us Offline dkop1

Reply #75 on: August 14, 2018, 08:08:08 AM

For (camp) cooking the bigger the blade the better, so for that - in theory - I'd choose a 111 mm model, and keeping in mind the layer count it would be the Nomad (blade, proper openers, corkscew, awl).

Of course you said you will not be cooking and you'll want to take an 84/91 mm SAK, so I guess my pick would be the Tinker with proper openers, large blade, small blade, Phillips and awl. The Highlander is a nice knife, but having a smaller main blade as the only blade is a slight disadvantage. (Of course the Spartan is always an option, but the Phillips might be more useful in your situation than a corkscrew.)

The Compact/DofE are always excellent options when we're talking about minimalistic SAK's, but again, you'd only have one blade and a bit of a compromise in the form of the combo tool (still a very good tool in my eyes) but a pair of scissors is always a plus.

All in all, as you already have a Tinker (or two, now that you found the second one) and a Highlander, you can't really go wrong with either, but I'd give the edge to the Tinker simply because of its blade size and blade count.

I'm probably partial to the highlander because it is a new toy  :D :D
good suggestions, thank you! I'm quite curious to see the discussion that will be sparked. Thus me leaving it open to models I do not own!
My only 111mm model is a german army trekker, which is phenomenal BUT a layer too thick for the challenge. I may have to consider a nomad or adventurer model down the line if I see one pop up affordably!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: August 14, 2018, 08:14:08 AM
I'm probably partial to the highlander because it is a new toy  :D :D

Yeah, I was suspecting that, I know the feeling all too welll :D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #77 on: August 14, 2018, 01:37:17 PM
Day 7:

Think again...

8) 8)

Regardless of the intent all those year ago, the opener on a Soldier/SI/Pioneer is the best tool for staple removing.  Even when I'm at home near my big tool chest, that's the tool I reach for.  And leather gloves!  Sooner or later the opener will slip on one of the staples and I'll skin a knuckle if I'm not wearing gloves.

Agreed! My pioneer's can opener has opened far more staples than cans

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #78 on: August 14, 2018, 01:40:00 PM

I agree, something like the Nomad or Centurion would be a good choice.  Also may want to look at the HUnter XS for a blade only option.

I also would like the discontinued 93mm woodsman for a two layer outdoor knife.  Very  :drool:
http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Woodsman

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #79 on: August 14, 2018, 06:38:48 PM
Day 8:

Decided to try only using the classic today. So far, the only real use was lunch prep.

The apple was slow going, but it did it. Definitely prefer the pioneer's blade for that task, though.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: August 14, 2018, 08:15:10 PM
Day 8

Today I picked the Sportsman. It has no scissors, but package opening was a breeze with the blade too. Lovely little knife, I love the toolset, I prefer the nail file (small 2D Phillips driver!) instead of the small blade, only the lack of scissors is keeping it from being carried regularly.

minimalist_08_1.jpg
* minimalist_08_1.jpg (Filesize: 29.95 KB)
minimalist_08_2.jpg
* minimalist_08_2.jpg (Filesize: 48.45 KB)

us Offline dkop1

Reply #81 on: August 15, 2018, 03:43:14 AM
Day 8

Today I picked the Sportsman. It has no scissors, but package opening was a breeze with the blade too. Lovely little knife, I love the toolset, I prefer the nail file (small 2D Phillips driver!) instead of the small blade, only the lack of scissors is keeping it from being carried regularly.
Love it Exeter! I just got mine in the mail and cleaned it up at work last night.

us Offline dkop1

Reply #82 on: August 15, 2018, 07:06:17 AM
Day 9, my preferred tinker back in hand.... Even paint covered screws are no issue.
rps20180815_010509.jpg
* rps20180815_010509.jpg (Filesize: 39.16 KB)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #83 on: August 15, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
Day 9:

This is actually from Monday. Sam's club had a playhouse on sale so I bought it and put it together for my two oldest girls.

The pioneer helped open the packages and tighten a few Phillips screws. Most assembly was accomplished with a power drill and swearing, though ;)

If you have small kids and are in the US, my local Sam's had this set marked down from $400 to $150. Not worth $400 but well worth the $150. May be worth a look

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: August 15, 2018, 09:18:44 PM
Day 9

Today it's the Delemont counterpart of yesterday's Sportsman, the Wenger Commander. Same toolset in a different, and in this particular case, rare-ish package, meaning the Snife scales. No actual use to report.
minimalist_09.jpg
* minimalist_09.jpg (Filesize: 34.13 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: August 15, 2018, 10:01:06 PM
Although I am not officially participating in this challenge, I have been using a 74mm Executive as my EDC for months now and am participating in the Chuck Yeager Challenge II (honoring Chuck's EDC, the Executive).

I think the Executive exemplifies the minimalist value of big function in a small package!

Executive - EDC by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: August 15, 2018, 10:12:24 PM
Although I am not officially participating in this challenge, I have been using a 74mm Executive as my EDC for months now and am participating in the Chuck Yeager Challenge II (honoring Chuck's EDC, the Executive).

I think the Executive exemplifies the minimalist value of big function in a small package!

I've been keeping my eye on that challenge and the most important thing I've learned is that I'll have to get an Executive at some point! :)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 16, 2018, 03:04:18 AM

I've been keeping my eye on that challenge and the most important thing I've learned is that I'll have to get an Executive at some point! :)

The Executive is a very intriguing tool.  Initially, I ignored it while pursuing other SAKs.  Eventually, I decided that I needed a closer look and became a fan.  It has some of the key tools that I depend upon (blade, scissor & tweezers) plus one that is very useful in opening plastic blister packaging (Orange Peeler).  Excellent functionality that comes in such a small form factor!

Jim

us Offline dkop1

Reply #88 on: August 16, 2018, 06:33:10 AM
Day 10:
Oatmeal in a mug, some light nail maintenance, and tightening of my glasses. A fair amount of work for my little Sportsman
rps20180816_003129.jpg
* rps20180816_003129.jpg (Filesize: 86.54 KB)

us Offline dkop1

Reply #89 on: August 16, 2018, 06:51:30 AM
Now, to take my sportsman or a Spartan along for the weekend.... Nail file vs extra blade is the big debate. So long as I have a sharpening stone (which I do) I figure I'll be good on a single blade

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24