Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should i get ST300 or Rebar

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
on: August 07, 2018, 06:47:02 PM
I kinda like desing of SuperTools but i have read here about smaller version of same desing Rebar. My only fear taking Rebar is size of it . i know its roughly same size as Wave and Charge.
But back to ST300, i have 2 orginal SuperTools and i like them very much i have kept opened ST300 in my hand but havent got change to test it enough like its folded size and keeping it in holster or in pocket. I wanna know how does it compare to Surge. Surge is awesome tool but its outside tools feels uncomfort when keeping it in work trousers pocket and offcourse it getting dirty in my job and i dont wanna clean it constantly.

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Should i get ST300 or Rebar
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:00:30 PM
ST300 is the same size as the Surge - it shares the pliers head and some of the handle tools with it. Personally I like the ST300 a lot because of its sheer solidity. The size makes it too large for pocket carry though, IMHO. The Rebar is very similar to the ST300 in tool loadout but a bit smaller and pocketable in practice. Both are great platforms for modding. But it's a difficult choice. Why not both? :D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:20:27 PM
Both are great platforms for modding. But it's a difficult choice. Why not both? :D
+1,000,000. :like:

Why not two of both? One for the collection and one to use hard. :multi:

If I had to choose, the ST300 for hard work and Rebar for regular stuff.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:29:22 PM
Yea id love to get many tools as possible but im gonna need one tool for serious working and i think im gonna go for ST300 cause its desinged for hard work more than Rebar. Im gonna get Rebar later for modding but now i need rock solid tool with inner tools.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:50:01 PM
Out of  the many tools I own, I find myself reaching for the Super Tool 300 during emergencies (Hurricanes and power failures in South Florida) to help me prepare for the coming storms and to restore everything after.  It has a very comforting solid feel about it and I know I can abuse it without breaking it.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:11:35 PM
That opinion just clarify my decision even more, i did bit research and noticed that Rebar has bad habit to break when using large forces. I also noticed that Rebar has maybe coolest mods i seen, but like i said i really need rock solid tool what can take job and i dont need to worry about breaking it.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:55:43 PM
I have used a Rebar a lot and never had one break :multi: but on the other hand I love a Supertool 300 and they are beefier and more robust than a Rebar :tu: I had a ST300 as soon as they came out and carried it until the Rebar came out and it replaced the ST300 for a number of years but now I just rotate through several tools :tu:

So really you can't go wrong with either but if you are planning on lots of hard use I guess I would go with the ST300 :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:12:23 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:57:14 PM
Sounds like the ST300 is the way to go.  :tu:

I carry a Rebar more often, just because it easier to carry, but the ST300 would definitely be the 'heavy duty' choice.  :tu:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:44:13 AM
ST300!!!  Been using one full force for years now every day at work.  I have full size multitools from all the major makers and the ST300 wont be leaving my side.  It is SOLID! And has a great tool set.  You wont regret getting one. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:47:57 AM by clown »

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:23:10 PM
I personally have hard use on a rebar, pulse, kick, blast, st300, and some Gerber that did not make it past week one. Now, I'll say I'd definitely like to use a pulse again, but the st300 gets the nod. You can immediately feel the robustness in the tools. Not just the weight but in the use. The extra length on the phillips has come in useful a bunch of times. The lack of flex on the pliers gives me faith.
Fair warning, the weight is way more than most other MTs, like not only will know when you have and when you don't but it might change the way you walk! But I see it as a penalty I'm willing to pay as I feel it earns it's place.
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 10:08:34 PM
That opinion just clarify my decision even more, i did bit research and noticed that Rebar has bad habit to break when using large forces. I also noticed that Rebar has maybe coolest mods i seen, but like i said i really need rock solid tool what can take job and i dont need to worry about breaking it.

Only Tools Matters

Anti

I have a Rebar and and and original Super Tool. Si, nor the ST300, but the one from which it is derrived. They are both great!

It doesn't matter, you will be happy. Whatever was wrong with the Reba when they first went to the changing wire cutters plyer head, it seems they have fixed. I have carried my Rebar nearly every day since I got it almost a year ago and it has never let me down. House repairs. Car repairs including a starter and battery.

Then again, if you just want beefy and weight is not a factor, go with the ST300.

If you REALLY want beefy and a great tool set, go Surge. You won't be disappointed with that either.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:44 PM
A ST300 I think looks the better bet for hard work use :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 08:31:19 AM
I think im gonna get ST300 rather than Rebar cause size of it. I own Surge but it isnt good when carrying in my workpants. It gets dust and dirt easily under outside tools.

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 09:23:54 PM
It seems i gotta get both, i founded Rebar on pretty cheap so maybe i get both after all but i think ST300 gonna be my work tool on workdays and rebar is gonna replace my OG ST on daily carry

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:35 PM
Yay - the :MTO: way :tu:

You won' regret it!
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:05:44 PM
I got both!....... Sometimes you need some extra weight  :D

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 10:15:52 PM
 :like: :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 11:38:02 PM
This is just my personal opinion and experience

My favorite that I own / have owned is my LM Kick, simply because it is light, simple and has the tools that you need, and nothing more. It is light, simple and just works for me.

I have a charge TTi, which I certainly have nothing against, but for my usage; it just have too much going on for it. As silly as it may sound, I think it has too many tools / features in it and in the 3 years of ownership I have only really ever used half of them.

Anyway moving on; I then decided to get an OHT because of the “one handed everything”, but after carrying and using it for about a month, I sort of lost my “love” for it. It’s not a bad MT, but I just find it too large to carry on my belt and it lacks the solid feel of all my other leathermans. Not sure how to explain it.

I too was debating on getting a ST300 or a Rebar, but I ended up going for a Rebar, as it is around the same size of my charge, which is the ideal size for me, where as the ST300 is closer to size to my OHT, which I just found to be too large for me.

But in the end; it’s all down to personal preference and what kind of usage and abuse you plan on putting it through. If you plan on beating the snot out of your MT, then the ST300 is certainly not a bad option, but for the average outdoors man, tradesman, or DIY person; the Rebar should be more than fine.

The Rebar really just is a smaller version of the ST300

EDIT:

For clarification; the reason for not carrying my Kick and ordering a Rebar, is simply because I have my Kick in Denmark (which is where I am originally from) and I like to have it there for when I am home visiting. I currently live in Ireland and would like to have something similar to it here as my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:44:39 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 11:43:40 AM
Well i got my ST300 today and its feels awesome so far, i dont feel that its heavier than my other tools. Rebar is heading towards me now and it ahould arrive beginning of next week. After i get my hands on Rebar i can make comparison between Surge, Wave, Rebar and ST300

Only Tools Matters

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 12:57:48 PM
Good stuff, sounds good and congrats with your new ST300

Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 01:42:02 PM
Congrats !   :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 01:43:18 PM
Congratulations on your new MT :cheers: :like:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 01:47:30 PM

Thanks fellows, gotta try to use it today more than just playing around with it

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 01:57:35 PM
Congratulations!  :like:  I’m sure you will enjoy breaking it in!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 02:04:02 PM

Thanks fellows, gotta try to use it today more than just playing around with it

Only Tools Matters

You have to play with it that’s the fun with a new tool :tu:

Offline tjb

Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 02:31:16 PM
So, since you guys all have the ST300, can you answer me a question?

The pliers. Can you really grab and reef on them? Wrench things around and rip stuff out and such? Context: I’m an electrician, and in my mind a real pair of pliers, one you can really grab and rip and twist and pull things with, is the big honkin nose on a pair of lineman’s pliers. Now those are rugged. So 99% of the dainty, wiggly, petite-nosed pliers on these multi tool things, they’re just junk to me. Just for show. Can’t really do anything real with them.

Is it different for this super tool?

Really appreciate your input; sorry if I’m hijacking the thread but I thought it apropos.

Thanks!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 05:41:18 PM
The ST300 and Surge pliers heads might be the best (here: most solid) around on any multitool.

Having said that, AFAIK they are cast, not drop forged, in order to more easily accommodate the bores for the pivots and cutter screws, so they will not be as solid as dedicated drop forged pliers of any kind (except perhaps the cheapest) ...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 05:57:05 PM
The ST300 and Surge pliers heads might be the best (here: most solid) around on any multitool.

Having said that, AFAIK they are cast, not drop forged, in order to more easily accommodate the bores for the pivots and cutter screws, so they will not be as solid as dedicated drop forged pliers of any kind (except perhaps the cheapest) ...

:iagree:

And congrats on getting your ST300, Antti :like: :like:

Cant wait for the comparison when you get the Rebar as well :tu:

:popcorn:

nl Offline LanWolf

• */ Just A Byte */
Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 02:51:55 PM
Tjb : Well you can twist wires with leatherman pliers, but not the way you are used too, from the front of the tool. Grab them Sideways and  as far to the handle as possibble, then twist that way.
And yeah a dedicated tool almost always is better.

Antti: Nice one , after reading some comparison i put a st300 on my xmas wishlisht, as it might be the best i can get for winter use.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:55:27 PM by LanWolf »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 04:31:38 PM
Yea ST300 feels awlsome so i can recommend it, in few days my Rebar also should arrive so i can make comparison with ST300 and Rebar

Only Tools Matters

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD