Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is this the origin of the multipurpose hook?

it Offline shadowrider

Is this the origin of the multipurpose hook?
on: August 09, 2018, 11:41:42 PM
From what I read on SakWiki, Victorinox implemented the infamous multipurpose hook on its 91mm knives in 1991. Also called a parcel carrying hook (since that seems to be its original intended use), it seems to be loathed by many, as they see no real purpose to it and would rather go without.

Several other multipurpose knives feature hooks: hunting knives sometimes have a thin hook that is used to extract cartdriges from rifles, and equestrian knives have a wide hook that is used to clean horse hoofs (a tool also found on some SAKs). However, both these type are quite different than Vic's multipurpose hook, and have more of a U shape to them.

However, I recently found some Victorian (1800s) knives that have hooks, and some of those hooks are quite reminiscent of Victorinox's. The following pictures are taken from ebay listings. The first two were described as "button hooks": I reckon they were used at a time when tight fitting clothes with many buttons were fashionable and it was sometimes unconfortable to fasten them (for example those on your right arm sleeve), or for shoes that had buttons. However, the one in the last picture was described as a "sewing hook", which I have no idea as to what it is.

Given the similar shape, do you think these pocket knife hooks could be what Victorinox looked at when they decided to add this tool to their knives?
And has anyone here ever tried to use the multipurpose hook to fasten buttons on their clothing (or on their Victorian-like shoes)?

s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 67.8 KB)
s-l1600 (11).jpg
* s-l1600 (11).jpg (Filesize: 110.06 KB)
s-l1600 (2).jpg
* s-l1600 (2).jpg (Filesize: 61.84 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Is this the origin of the multipurpose hook?
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:43:10 PM
How big are those? The Vic hook is pretty small.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:14:43 AM
How big are those? The Vic hook is pretty small.
I think these are slightly longer (with the possible exception of the small hook in the second picture), but slightly thinner as well.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:42 AM
I have no idea, but the resemblance certainly is there.

The button theory sounds plausible. I wonder how practical that would be to use in real life?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:22:18 AM
From what I read on SakWiki, Victorinox implemented the infamous multipurpose hook on its 91mm knives in 1991. Also called a parcel carrying hook (since that seems to be its original intended use), it seems to be loathed by many, as they see no real purpose to it and would rather go without.

Several other multipurpose knives feature hooks: hunting knives sometimes have a thin hook that is used to extract cartdriges from rifles, and equestrian knives have a wide hook that is used to clean horse hoofs (a tool also found on some SAKs). However, both these type are quite different than Vic's multipurpose hook, and have more of a U shape to them.

However, I recently found some Victorian (1800s) knives that have hooks, and some of those hooks are quite reminiscent of Victorinox's. The following pictures are taken from ebay listings. The first two were described as "button hooks": I reckon they were used at a time when tight fitting clothes with many buttons were fashionable and it was sometimes unconfortable to fasten them (for example those on your right arm sleeve), or for shoes that had buttons. However, the one in the last picture was described as a "sewing hook", which I have no idea as to what it is.

Given the similar shape, do you think these pocket knife hooks could be what Victorinox looked at when they decided to add this tool to their knives?
And has anyone here ever tried to use the multipurpose hook to fasten buttons on their clothing (or on their Victorian-like shoes)?
Never tried it as an old button hook, maybe tighten up laces? I have used it to get stones out of tire treads...
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:42:22 AM
Those are more like bird hooks (gut hooks), the Vic hook is much smaller and not intended as a bird hook. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with Victorian clothing.  :think: :salute:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:45:06 AM by twiliter »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:54:20 AM
The photos that Shadowrider shows do look like buttonhooks, and he's correct about the use and origin.  They might have been the inspiration for the current hook we all know and love (or not), but it is intended for parcels.  Before there was packaging tape, parcels were tied up with string or twine.  The hook could be used like a Longshoreman's hook to carry the parcel.
I actually used it like this in the 70's when working retail.  The New Your Times came in a large bundle secured with 16 gage wire.  Too thin the slip your fingers under and lift.  Used the hook to carry them inside the store. 
So I have to wonder about either: my memory, or, the 1991 date quoted.
- Steve

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 04:54:26 AM
The photos that Shadowrider shows do look like buttonhooks, and he's correct about the use and origin.  They might have been the inspiration for the current hook we all know and love (or not), but it is intended for parcels.  Before there was packaging tape, parcels were tied up with string or twine.  The hook could be used like a Longshoreman's hook to carry the parcel.
I actually used it like this in the 70's when working retail.  The New Your Times came in a large bundle secured with 16 gage wire.  Too thin the slip your fingers under and lift.  Used the hook to carry them inside the store. 
So I have to wonder about either: my memory, or, the 1991 date quoted.

Hi Smiller...

All respect,  but I think your memory is squishy on the date, but correct on the fact that they were originally billed as a parcel hook. My 1988 Super Tinker has no such hook. It was introduced in 1991 or so. I have a Tinker Deluxe from 2011 or 2012, the paperwork from which described it as a parcel hook.

What I have to wonder is, who in the he'll was tying parcels with string in 1991? And often enough to cause a shift in the entire production process for every 91mm with scissors for the last 27 years?

I *STILL* dont. Get it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:55 AM
I’m quite confident that the 1991 date is accurate.  :tu:

As for why Victorinox did it, maybe they wanted to squeeze another tool into their SAKs, and a hook was the only thing that they could think of.

What tool would you have made to go behind the scissors, if not the hook?  :pok:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 08:57:29 AM
You mean a narrow electronics philips driver?
For openening battery compartiments...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:10:52 AM
Surely the scissors layer is too thick for that? :think:
I mean, look at the small screwdriver tool on some SAKs. It's mounted behind the saw which is almost the thinnest layer.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:20:21 AM
Surely the scissors layer is too thick for that? :think:
I mean, look at the small screwdriver tool on some SAKs. It's mounted behind the saw which is almost the thinnest layer.
Look at the Outrider, which has 91mm scissors...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:29 AM
Oh, ok.  :think:
It doesn’t seem like Vic to put a one trick tool like that behind the scissors though?

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:37 AM
Maybe they could make a modified version of the 58mm combo tool to fit there... but it seems a bit awkward?

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:42 AM
A one trick tool?
What do you mean Pabs?
They placed it UNDER the scissors on the Outrider, why not put one backspring side in exchange of the hook?
I bet lots of people would cheer for that...
Not a full size Philips, but still useable.
On top of that you'd get a corkscrew AND Philips on the Climber, and 2 sizes of Philips drivers on a Super Tinker...

:ahhh

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:11 PM
Hi Smiller...

All respect,  but I think your memory is squishy on the date, but correct on the fact that they were originally billed as a parcel hook. My 1988 Super Tinker has no such hook. It was introduced in 1991 or so. I have a Tinker Deluxe from 2011 or 2012, the paperwork from which described it as a parcel hook.

What I have to wonder is, who in the he'll was tying parcels with string in 1991? And often enough to cause a shift in the entire production process for every 91mm with scissors for the last 27 years?

I *STILL* dont. Get it.

Exactly how I feel about the hook, although I like it for its quirkiness.  I never bought the parcel-carrying thing, because people stopped tying parcels with string in, when?  1960?  Surely by 1970 this quaint way of fastening your parcels was gone for good. 

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 09:13:01 PM
Hi Smiller...

I *STILL* dont. Get it.

Exactly how I feel about the hook, although I like it for its quirkiness.  I never bought the parcel-carrying thing, because people stopped tying parcels with string in, when?  1960?  Surely by 1970 this quaint way of fastening your parcels was gone for good.
I'm getting old, but I do know for certain that I worked that retail job from 1974 or '75 until about 1979.  And I might be mistaken about the exact model of SAK, but it was certainly a 91mm Victorinox.  Certainly by that time packaging tape was in common use, and using string was a way of the past, so introducing the hook in '91 and listing it as a parcel hook makes no sense to me either. 
So we have an interesting historical conundrum on our hands.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD