Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Braudel pocket wrench

Nix · 11 · 3198

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Braudel pocket wrench
on: November 19, 2018, 07:52:41 PM

I picked one of these up on an impulse. (The wrench, that is, not the SAK.)

It seems well made and potentially useful, but I don't have any experience with one.  It is slightly heavier (42 grams vs 40 grams) than my usual EDC, a small adjustable. However it does have the potential to be used as a small pry tool. And, it might be easier to carry given it's slim design.

My questions to you guys are these:

1)  Anyone have any experience with one of these?

2)  Do these ever prove worth carrying?

3)  What is this entity known as Braudel?  (My google-foo failed me here.)

Thanks!  :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Braudel pocket wrench
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:03:06 PM
It's slim enough to take along in a Leatherman sheath, but especialy in a Skinth.
I think that's the reason they're so popular here on MTO.
I've read they work as advertised, but I have no experience with that brand myself. Like on all tools, the steel and hardness are quite an important factor.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:27 PM
It's a Chinese ripoff of the Burktek/Latshaw Tool Pocket WRench II. I use a real one (in Chrome Vandanium, which I chose because I thought it would be tougher, which I think it is, I've turned bolts I shouldn't have with it, and not one tooth is worn). Slim, handles slightly larger bolts than a 4" adjustable, and tough. One is with me most of the time.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:22:21 AM
 :facepalm:

That might explain the mysterious company and inexpensive price.

I will say, it feels pretty good. I'll try to report back if there are quality issues.  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
Looks interesting Nix - handy that it handles a larger diameter bolt than the 4" spanner.  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 03:07:35 AM
I carried a Pocket Wrench briefly. The first time it could have come in handy, it failed because the nut could only be reached with an open-end wrench. So I ended up cutting off the top part above the teeth. The second time it could have come in handy, the nut was smallish and in a tight spot and the length of the wrench arms prevented it from being able to turn. I gave up on it and bought a LM Crunch.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 06:27:50 AM
I have a PW2 and really like it.  I dont know much about the other brands but mine is solid.  I've also turned bolts that I thought would give it trouble.  The length as mentioned can be limiting.  Its a wee thick sometime for prying but its tough so I push mine when given the chance.  The 1/4 in hole works well with the appropriate bit holder I've found.  I carry mine because its slim and pretty versatile. 

Heres a good video from the maker.

https://youtu.be/iB50p4TPGK0
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 07:26:43 AM
If they're not making it anymore, I know of a company who could pick it up.

ie Online McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:08:58 PM
If they're not making it anymore, I know of a company who could pick it up.
(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl:

... not bad. I see it got a whole dedicated for the Leatherman bits too :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 08:19:20 PM
Great idea, RP!  :tu:

Still haven't used mine. It carries easily, so no bother. I just have't run into a use recently.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 03:41:50 PM
At first I need to confess that I own a copied PW II. I got it with another tool in an ebay auction. It lived in a box with other OPT for a long time.I think its "EDC" branded
I never thought much of one piece Multi Tools. Most would do nothing really good and the rest really bad for me.

The Brewster does it´s job well, but I tend to carry other bottle openers anyways. The Piranha that I carried a while was awkward with Bits and usually slipped on nuts.
The only small OPT that I kept with me for a while was a CountyComm small Prybar I was gifted from my brother. A prying tool is a good addition to save the other tools.
But due to its curved form it never rode too well in the Gerber pouch my MP600 resides in.

The PW II Copy fits very well alongside the MP 600 (in the Bit kit pocket) and I found it to be a very useful addition. It pries pretty well, scrapes with the rounded or the straight edge to save my fingernails and the wrench function works really well in addition to the MP600. I did not test it with Bits, though. But I guess you could turn one with it and drop it in the dirt on the second turn as there is no retention mechanism.

Long story short: I like the PW II and i always wanted to get an origianl to replace my copy but was scared away by teh high shipping cost.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%