Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bitky - an honest little tool that works

Vidar · 16 · 2158

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Bitky - an honest little tool that works
on: March 26, 2019, 10:37:53 AM
I stumbled over this one on Kickstarter. Despite the campaign being over I asked to get two, and a bit later they arrived. (And a personal first for Kickstarter - it does exactly as it says it would). :tu: As I'm doing some photos here anyway I thought I'd drop it in and write a few lines here.

It is basically a little bit holder/ extender with a hex hole in the side so it can be used in that direction too. Several units can be combined to hold more bits and offer more combinations and reach. It has a 9mm outside hex on one end, and of course a 1/4" inside hex on both ends and the side. And it can be argued that the bit is double sided (1/4" hex on the other side) so I guess 4 functions when just used alone. Sadly a proper double sided bit isn't usable with this one, but there is the option of combining several to get more options that way. I wouldn't trust that pocket clip thing, but apart from that it is all good.

It is compact, it works, it does as promised, and it is priced fairly decent. Furthermore it is not made of some trendy less suited material but good old working steel. I like it.
Bitky compressed for MTO.jpg
* Bitky compressed for MTO.jpg (Filesize: 102.1 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Bitky - an honest little tool that works
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:42:52 AM
That looks very interesting. Would love to see some 'In action' pics V  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:02:19 AM
That looks very interesting. Would love to see some 'In action' pics V  :cheers:

It is standard 1/4" bits and they work as expected. Once I'm done with the current camera setup though I can look around for some loose screws that could use some tightening, and take action pictures while screwing around.  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:03:29 AM
 :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:22:46 AM
They look pretty interesing :tu: Can't wait to see more pics of actual use :like:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 11:38:07 AM
Looks like a smaller (and more crudely produced) Fix It sticks.
Personally, I'm drooling over the Silca T-Ratchet kit (also similar, but with a ratchet included).
fixitstickscommuterkit.jpg
* fixitstickscommuterkit.jpg (Filesize: 66.29 KB)
silca.jpg
* silca.jpg (Filesize: 87.72 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 11:46:46 AM
Looks like a smaller (and more crudely produced) Fix It sticks.
Personally, I'm drooling over the Silca T-Ratchet kit (also similar, but with a ratchet included).

Yes, I've drooled at that Silca one a time or three earlier too. It looks like a great kit indeed.

The price difference to this one is staggering though, and if you just want something small and functional in your pocket it makes sense to me.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:02:21 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 02:25:27 PM
Ok, so I've been out screwing around.

First picture is just tightening a loose screw in a tight space in a drawer - the size and shape is nice for that.

Then I discovered that if you happen to put it in on the wrong end it is hard to get it out again with just your fingers. Note to self.
IMG_9911_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9911_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 33.1 KB)
IMG_9913_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9913_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 31.12 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:32:26 PM
Moving on I figured I should test this thing more proper. I'm not a fan of destructive testing, so I tried to think of what would be the toughest real life scenario one should reasonably expect this tool to handle. Tightening a socket head screw with a 6mm hex bit to the advised torque (according to din 912 standard) for a 12.9 bolt seemed to me as the toughest thing a bit extension should expect to come across. That is about 80Nm with lubrication.

Torque wrench setup, torque wrench used, tool broke before reaching torque... That was kind of a heartbreaker as I liked this one.  :cry:

IMG_9914_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9914_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 47.35 KB)
IMG_9917_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9917_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 55.24 KB)
IMG_9922_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9922_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 42.6 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38:35 PM
Ok, so I thought this might have been an over the top cruel and unusual test despite seeming real lifeish. So I repeated it with a normal bit extender.

It still wouldn't reach torque. Instead the nut starting making new threads on the bolt. The Bitky didn't get there so the normal bit extender was tougher, and moreover totally unharmed afterwards.

Since the Bitky was already a goner I figured I'll try squeezing both the normal bit extender and the Bitky in the good end with both hands and a Cobra 400mm plier. Normal extender unharmed, Bitky more flat and ripped.

Finally I tested the other Bitky I got with a Bosch Brute drill while increasing the momentum. The Bitky survived that.
IMG_9923_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9923_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 56.31 KB)
IMG_9936_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9936_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 45.06 KB)
IMG_9940_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9940_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 50.75 KB)
IMG_9942_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9942_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 43.7 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 02:46:42 PM
 :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 03:06:34 PM
Great testing, Vidar!   :tu:

Sorry the outcome was unsatisfactory, though.   :cry:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 04:10:38 PM
Yes, I've drooled at that Silca one a time or three earlier too. It looks like a great kit indeed.

The price difference to this one is staggering though, and if you just want something small and functional in your pocket it makes sense to me.
I can see the appeal both of the price and the small size.

I bet the majority of those keychain bit-holders is not tougher than this.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 05:10:46 PM
I bet the majority of those keychain bit-holders is not tougher than this.

I think it is a matter of materials and manufacturing method. That normal bit extender is dirt cheap yet both tougher and harder. Apart from surviving the testing unharmed it also had next to no marks after being squeezed with the Cobra plier. The Bitky got flat, ripped apart and had plenty of bitemarks. The bitemarks indicates that it is quite a bit softer material than the pliers.

I like the concept though.
IMG_9928_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9928_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 49.35 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 08:31:12 PM
I think it is a matter of materials and manufacturing method. That normal bit extender is dirt cheap yet both tougher and harder. Apart from surviving the testing unharmed it also had next to no marks after being squeezed with the Cobra plier. The Bitky got flat, ripped apart and had plenty of bitemarks. The bitemarks indicates that it is quite a bit softer material than the pliers.

I like the concept though.
Yes, but the bit-extender is from a company that earns a living with that. They probably have years of experience making tools. Tools intended for craftsmen. While those keychain bitholders are EDC gadgets made by an EDC enthusiasts for EDC enthusiasts who carry loads of tools without ever really using them.

I agree though, the Bitky has a neat design without the common frills of EDC gadgets (no bottle opener :ahhh). I love the idea of the Fix It sticks, but they are large. The Bitky is probably the first truly tiny bit-holder where the design allows to actually allow applying some torque. I'm really sad it did not hold up, but to be hones, I'm not surprised.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 10:55:21 PM
Yes, but the bit-extender is from a company that earns a living with that. They probably have years of experience making tools. Tools intended for craftsmen. While those keychain bitholders are EDC gadgets made by an EDC enthusiasts for EDC enthusiasts who carry loads of tools without ever really using them.

I agree though, the Bitky has a neat design without the common frills of EDC gadgets (no bottle opener :ahhh). I love the idea of the Fix It sticks, but they are large. The Bitky is probably the first truly tiny bit-holder where the design allows to actually allow applying some torque. I'm really sad it did not hold up, but to be hones, I'm not surprised.

I guess it is a matter of cost as well. One could ask a company that makes bit extenders to add a blind hex hole in the side using EDM or rotary broaching before hardening. The cost would be different though. And as that hex hole would weaken their standard product it might have to thickened as needed as well.

That said, the Bitky did stand up to the Bosch Brute at high torque and maximum setting. That drill will easily drive in 6-8mm thick screws in wood, so to be fair the Bitky will work for most applications and certainly for the occasional daily manual use.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%