Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kutmaster Wrench-Head with SCISSORS!

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Kutmaster Wrench-Head with SCISSORS!
on: August 08, 2018, 07:54:25 PM
So last night I worked on my Winchester-branded Kutmaster Wrench-Head variant. This tool originally had the same tool load-out as a Kutmaster Multimaster, with two-piece jaws like the Multimaster, but a fold-out T-handle driver like the Wrench Head.  Here's the original tool:

First thing I did was remove the serrated blade, and swap around some tools from the Wrench-Head. The Wrench Head had a longer, sharper blade, so I used it instead. I also used the file from the Wrench Head. It's not quite as good a file as the one in the Winchester, but it has a gasket scraper edge that I find very useful. I swapped in the spark plug gap gauge as well. The serrated blade was very thick, and that left me with space left. Originally I had also swapped over the awl blade from the Wrench Head (leaving out a couple of washers to do so), but it's rather a bad awl, and also not a great secondary blade.... so I came upon the idea that scissors would be schweet.

I ganked the scissors from this terrible, terrible tool:

They were almost the correct size! I had to drill the hole larger, and then go to town with a dremel and a file, to get this:

When the blades are stacked, you can see they are a pretty close match:

All this filing and grinding allowed the tool to sit completely into the wrench-head body, and allow the top to close. The scissors don't lock like the other tools, because there just wasn't enough material on the tang. However, it doesn't matter as in use the scissors do not need a lock. The scissors aren't the best in the world, but they're not actually terrible. They work on paper, ace bandages, and can eventually get through paracord with some effort. Even mediocre scissors are more useful to me than that weird awl blade though, so I'm happy. Here's what I ended up with!

Charles.
IMG_4509.jpg
* IMG_4509.jpg (Filesize: 249.86 KB)
IMG_4503.jpg
* IMG_4503.jpg (Filesize: 258.95 KB)
IMG_4504.jpg
* IMG_4504.jpg (Filesize: 259.04 KB)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:58:11 PM by ChopperCharles »

• No Life Club
Re: Kutmaster Wrench-Head with SCISSORS!
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:59:29 PM
Also, does this qualify for the "Hacker" merit badge?

Charles.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:34:31 AM
Awesome job, Charles! :cheers:

That may be a first for the Wrech-Head. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 11:30:56 AM
Nice mod Charles... :tu: :like:

Badge awarded... :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 11:35:38 AM
Nice work, and congratulations on the badge!  :like:
Those scissors look like they belong in there!  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 11:43:09 PM
Here are some pics of the whole kit I have stashed under the motorcycle seat.

Charles.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:54 PM
Very nice and useful mod.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:54:39 AM
Truth is I don't love this tool. I've tried using it a few times, and beyond the issue with the cutters being rather useless, the too-tight pliers are difficult to live with. If I loosen the pivot enough that the pliers open and close smoothly, the tips can move around quite a lot and the door comes off the pivot and closes weirdly. Maybe I just need to use it to wear down the high spots... or hit them with a file.

Charles.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:23 PM
Slightly off-topic, but what is the small adjustable wrench/bit driver (I assume) that goes in the Victorinox pouch?

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 05:37:33 PM
It's a SwissTech "X-Drive Adlustable Wrench Toolkit". It has a sister tool, the SwissTech T-Rex plier.  There are other "X-Drive" branded tools as well; mostly keychain bitdriver tools.

Both are discontinued now from Swiss Tech, but you can get the X-Drive wrench without the SwissTech branding now. I just started seeing these pop up on Amazon again, but with lots of different brand names. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081M1GPM4

The wrench is actually pretty good. It doubles as a bitdriver, and it fits in the victorinox pouch with a bitdriver extension. For the limits of torque that can be applied to such a small tool, it is robust and strong. The jaws work well and stay tight against the nut. It's a great mini adjustable wrench. It has a couple fold out blades that are unremarkable, a small serrated and a line cutter, which are a bit bigger than SD-sized. I like it, it's really useful for quick repairs when I don't want to dig the actual wrenches out of the tool kit which is behind a side panel, and then under a locking door, and then inside a plastic case, which has a liner bag inside in which all the tools are jammed in *just so* such that they all fit. It's a lot less time to grab this from a bag to adjust a mirror or something.

The T-Rex tool is the sister tool to this, and its... not that useful. It's the size of a Pocket ToolClip, and it fits perfectly in a change pocket. I put a nite ize clip on the back of mine, but it's not really very useful. The pliers are awkward to use because they latch every time you close them completely, and I'd rather carry almost any other plier tool. But the wrench, that thing is pretty sweet for use in a motorcycle toolkit.

Charles.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:02:10 PM by ChopperCharles »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24