Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been a while, eh?

Viper · 11 · 1269

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Been a while, eh?
on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:51 AM
Well boys, I got some good (for you) and bad (for me) news.

Just to come out and say the biggest thing: I might be moving to the U.A.E.    :cry:

I've heard a lot about how much better it is than the States, and it probably is (especially considering the president-elect... but let's not talk politics), but I have quite a life here. Something you guys probably didn't know about me: I'm not a very social person, as a result of a scarring moment in my past, and just last year things started to turn up in my offline life. I met several amazing friends, and I finally found my "place" so to speak. Which is what can best be described as Chief Band Geek. I have two of the best band directors that have ever walked this planet, and going to the U.A.E. would mean probably never even speaking to them again. Maybe a few letters. My friends aren't as big of a problem with the current online fads, such as Facebook, which allow me to easily communicate with them pretty much whenever I want. But of course, I cannot be in a band over the internet.

The reason I may be moving is a bit of a long story. To make it as short as possible: My parents attempted to start their own company. For a few reasons, it went under, and we lost a great deal of money as a result. My father has since been job hunting. The one and only offer he recieved required a relocation to Dubai. We couldn't afford to say no. I still don't know all the details, but I estimate that there is about a 1% chance of me staying where I live now. 

This whole thing is a tad beside my main point, but I figured you guys should know.

More on the point: As a result of in- and out-of-school activities, I no longer have much use for many of my knives, tools, etc. My primary investment is in band, which includes mainly brass instruments, and, more often than not: trumpets. That stuff can get expensive. As I am still a bit young to get a job (I wouldn't have the time anyway) I am resorting to selling most of my unused possessions. Most of these are knives and tools. I'm not selling all of them, of course, as I still need a tool or three and a few knives for camping, everyday life, and working for my dad again once we go to Dubai (if that ends up happening).

So I figured I'd just give you an update and a forewarning. I have some relatively nice stuff, if I do say so myself. I will be selling mostly knives. Of my tools, only a few are not so beaten up that I'm embarrassed to even try to sell. And most of those are the ones that I use the most, and would want to keep. Most of my knives are SOGs, of course.  :P

I don't know if they'll be up in time for the holidays or not. If any of you guys know what I have (there's probably a list somewhere... probably hasn't changed) and want to offer to buy something specific, I can talk to you.
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Been a while, eh?
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:14:50 AM
I am sorry to hear that Viper.. I am sure everything will be just fine!  :cheers:
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:30:14 AM
It probably sucks because you might have no "say" in if you want to go or not, but that's life in a way...America will be here when you want to come back :D

[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:36:35 AM
I'll want to come back as soon as I get there. In fact, I don't want to leave. My problem isn't with leaving America. America is going down the drain anyway. My problem is with leaving my home and my school. Every year spent in Dubai is a quarter of my high school band career missing. And my high school years will be some of the best of my life. It'll likely be the only time I ever get to be in a marching band, and it'll have the only jazz gigs that I won't have to struggle to get (hahaha). Not to mention it'll almost definitely be the only time I get to play in the same band as my friends (they are all band geeks too).
[

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:08:25 AM
One thing about it,Dubai is probably the most modern city in the world right now,and a lot of money to be made there,hope that you do get in with a band there,and please keep us informed of your progress there. :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:42:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear that mate :(

But moving out there might be a good thing too :), it's a whole new culture to explore, the weather's probably more consistant that anywhere on the planet :D, and you get to suport your parent's through a very difficult time :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:45:29 AM
Dubai is a great place there are a lot of British, Americans, Australians, Filipinos and other english speaking foreigners, in time I'm sure you'll make some friends there  :D
And smitty44 is right lots of money to be made there I'm sure your family will be okay :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 04:00:00 PM
There's an old adage that goes something like this "one door doesn't shut without another one opening".Look at it this way,this could be an oppurtunity for you to be a groundbreaker.If there's no marching band in Dubai,you could well be the prime mover in getting one up and running.Always look for silver linings,look long and hard enough and you you'll find it.
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 07:27:37 PM
It may seem bad now, but it's a really good thing to broaden your horizons.  World experience is a significantly better teacher than you'll ever find in a classroom.  I wish I'd traveled more when I was younger and had less responsibilities to get in the way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:29 PM
Viper
You are certainly someone I feel for. You are a  great kid with a huge heart. With that being said. I am bummed you are leaving the states. However this time is actually a better time then say when I was a kid. My sugg is get a web cam and stay in touch with everyone here. Then with the internet it will seem as you have never left us, and with the camera your friends will allways be there.

Now the positive.
You will get to see parts of the world with people you love. Nothing is as rewarding as that. Plus as an afterthought look at your parents. They love you enough to do what is needed to keep you all together. So Viper in that you are richer than a lot of people here. Your parents are willing to do anything for ya.

Plus you can send us cool stuff!!! ;)

Remember we care about ya and want the best for ya.
S

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 01:25:37 AM
I wasn't really around to see you active but too bad about the move. And don't worry about beat up tools, plenty of guys want parts or needs-work kinda tools. If ya need the money don't hesitate. :D
Got those frog legs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD