Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

September Storm: 30 days of Waves

Nix · 2326 · 55520

us Offline HarryD

Re: September Storm: 30 days of Waves
Reply #2280 on: September 30, 2018, 01:42:57 PM
Badge awarded to:

Pauldmmwc
ReamerPunch
Wspeed
Dutch_Tooler
Jaypeebee
LanWolf
Poncho65
Obi1shinobee
Antti Lammi
MTMatt
gerleatherberman
aolmos
Douglas
Nix
CallsignBadger
Glockfan
Pacu
LoopCutter

Nice thread guys.

Congratulations to all, I have enjoyed reading this thread since buying my wave a week or so ago. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck with your future challenges.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2281 on: September 30, 2018, 01:44:45 PM
Thanks Harry  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2282 on: September 30, 2018, 01:46:22 PM
Congratulations to all, I have enjoyed reading this thread since buying my wave a week or so ago. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck with your future challenges.

Thank you and welcome to the forum!  :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2283 on: September 30, 2018, 02:24:48 PM
yay, another shiny badge!  :woohoo:  :like:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2284 on: September 30, 2018, 02:32:58 PM
Day 30/30

Last day i used Wave cutters to cut ne pesky bicycle wirelock on my bicycle stand. There was old lock left when i boughted it and i wanted to remove it. Wave wirecutter cutted it like butter anf i got rid of it.

Using Wave as EDC is good not really bad words for it only size of it.

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2285 on: September 30, 2018, 02:47:17 PM
Badge awarded to:

Pauldmmwc
ReamerPunch
Wspeed
Dutch_Tooler
Jaypeebee
LanWolf
Poncho65
Obi1shinobee
Antti Lammi
MTMatt
gerleatherberman
aolmos
Douglas
Nix
CallsignBadger
Glockfan
Pacu
LoopCutter

Nice thread guys.

:cheers: zoidberg! Thanks for keeping us honest :D

Thanks also to all the other participants who kept me on my toes and helped me to remember to post regularly :rofl:, and also and especially for the many gorgeous scenic pics, besides the in-use and beauty tool pics of course - it was a pleasure to participate :hatsoff: :salute:

Onward to the next challenge!
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2286 on: September 30, 2018, 02:48:53 PM
Last pic

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2287 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:31 PM
DAY 30   :multi: :multi: tomorrow 30 for 30 challenge for me  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Wave 1.jpg
* Wave 1.jpg (Filesize: 174.96 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2288 on: September 30, 2018, 03:01:51 PM
30 30 day challenges Obi?  :o

Bonus pic :D

8302018145948.jpg
* 8302018145948.jpg (Filesize: 191.2 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2289 on: September 30, 2018, 03:08:37 PM
Nice pics everyone  :like: :tu:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2290 on: September 30, 2018, 03:14:24 PM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2291 on: September 30, 2018, 03:16:20 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2292 on: September 30, 2018, 03:51:13 PM
Woo hoo....day 30!  :ahhh

Nice job everybody, and congratulations to awl who participated and made this such a fun challenge!   :hatsoff:

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #2293 on: September 30, 2018, 05:36:04 PM
Hooray for the Storm!

My official post will be later, as the day just started here, but here is my (not yet) post-challenge reflection:

The Wave is outstanding!

Although some might not agree, I think the toolset is perfect. I love the diamond file, having a SE blade is priceless, having scissors is awlways awlsome, and the mini-driver’s flathead has been used for scraping almost everyday for me. I’m very happy they also included the large flathead. My only complaint, like so many others, is no awl! But then you’d be losing a tool...

The large bit driver is where many disagree. I like it. The fact that the bits are flat doesn't really affect the performance. I like having a full bit kit to tackle any screwhead. And about the reach on recessed screws, most anyplace I need a full shank driver, I can either get one, or not worry about it. Thats just me, though, and lots of people do have a need for full shank screwdrivers.

As for the OHO, if you get the pocket clip-which should totally be included-you don’t really need any additional blades. I made a minor modificatiom to draw on the SE side, and I love it. Although I could supplement a tool such as a Rebar with an OHO folder, the Wave just makes life easier. Oh, and by the way, OHO knives are a must for me. Just from what I’ve experienced in life :tu:

The tool layout is very efficient. Although those outside opening tools loose some space, the inside layers have almost no negative space when closed.

I love the fact that the Wave and bit kit can cover 90% of a toolbox. Plus, you can hold it in one hand! With the Wave, I can install fencing, work inside of a vehicle, take my entire house apart, build, repair, and so much more!

I must say,

Well done, Leatherman!  :cheers:

What a stud, the Wave! It will forever be in my edc rotation

:tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2294 on: September 30, 2018, 06:48:34 PM
Day 30  :ahhh
Firstly, thanks Zoidberg for the batch  :hatsoff:

This is it! The last day of the Wave challenge.
It was used to open some food packaging and... most importantly... to teach or youngest how to use a manual can-opener (see pics attached).

Summary
I've got my Wave from a friend in around 2009 when he traveled to the US for a week.
After a week of light use it developed some serious play in its pliers and it got put into a drawer until last year when I had the same with my new Surge. Both were sent in for warrantee.
I've then used the Surge and the Rebar.

So this was actually the first time for me EDCing the Wave and putting it to some real use.
And it didn't disappoint. It did all I was asking it to with no issues. And the old style pliers held up well, cut even small stranded wires, and open wider than the Rebar's or the Surge's.

It's great  :tu:

The only thing I would like to change would be the mini-screw-driver to an awl.

Why I hesitate to EDC it is the local law and reception of it in my usual office environment. People are used to see a SAK sometimes, but the Wave got those awesome but clearly visible OHO blades.

My Rebar is modded with additional Wave scissors and it doesn't scream "Blades", so that works better for me here.

However, I'll call it a great success and will carry it more often now for sure  :like:
20180930-small65.jpg
* 20180930-small65.jpg (Filesize: 142.9 KB)
20180930-small64.jpg
* 20180930-small64.jpg (Filesize: 131.76 KB)
20180930-small63.jpg
* 20180930-small63.jpg (Filesize: 121.41 KB)
wave-on-rock-bw.jpg
* wave-on-rock-bw.jpg (Filesize: 173.19 KB)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:50:54 PM by MTMatt »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2295 on: September 30, 2018, 06:59:06 PM
Nice pics and uses for the last day so far guys  :cheers:

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #2296 on: September 30, 2018, 08:22:37 PM
Day 30

Used the saw on some cardboard edge strip and the pliers on some high pressure pipe fittings today!

I've really enjoyed this challenge (my first ever challenge), I got my Wave+ just one day before it started! I had a good idea of what to expect because I already own a Charge.
It is a very capable medium sized tool. I was quite disappointed to have the tightening plier syndrome as I had with my new Rebar!! But it seems to have eased off a bit over the 30 days.
I was also disappointed with the scissors at the start of the challenge but after sharpening they have performed very well.
As others have said, the Wave really needs an awl, and I would certainly get rid of the small bit driver to accommodate it.
I really like the file on the Wave, it performs really well, but the diamond side will wear out as I've found out with the Surge! But of course that can and has been replaced very easily, not so with the Wave!
All the other blades and tools I've no complaints at all, they performed very well.
I can certainly see why it's the best selling Leatherman.

Anyways.... We move on to the other side! The Spirit awaits for the next 30 days, I look forward to comparing the two....

Thanks to all the other challengers and to all the others who've bothered to read our ramblings....

Bye..... For now....
20180930_065137-1512x2016.jpg
* 20180930_065137-1512x2016.jpg (Filesize: 134.12 KB)
20180930_091725-1512x2016.jpg
* 20180930_091725-1512x2016.jpg (Filesize: 120.8 KB)
20180930_161847-1512x2016.jpg
* 20180930_161847-1512x2016.jpg (Filesize: 187.8 KB)
20180930_161526-1512x2016.jpg
* 20180930_161526-1512x2016.jpg (Filesize: 240.05 KB)

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #2297 on: September 30, 2018, 08:24:30 PM
Hello team
My day thirty pic . All the lovely ladies in a row.
No Wave + yet but I guess that needs to get sorted sooner than later.

Thanks for the great pics .
 :multi: :
 :cheers:
 :drink:
pd wave day 30.JPG
* pd wave day 30.JPG (Filesize: 190.15 KB)
Semper Sitienti !!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2298 on: September 30, 2018, 08:27:26 PM
Nice collection Paul :like: :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2299 on: September 30, 2018, 08:34:19 PM
 :iagree: :like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #2300 on: September 30, 2018, 08:49:55 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #2301 on: September 30, 2018, 08:51:07 PM
 :hatsoff: :salute: Thanks for the badge zoidberg  :hatsoff: :salute:

Now for my thoughts...
There is a good reason the Wave is where I got started with MT's and it is still among the best out there.  The G2 is definately more robust than the original and some of the features are better.  I like the locking mechinism, the bit system is a realy nice addition especialy when paired with the extension.  I like the ability to add a pocket clip.  The clip is one of the best designed pocket clips I've ever used on anything, Well Done Leatherman!  The Diamond file is awesome but could be on an exchanger like the Surge.  The SE blade is likely the best SE I have ever used.  I how ever still don't need an SE often enough to justify it maintaining such a prominent position.   Larger more robust scissors would be better.  I also find the micro drive a near wast of realestate for my needs a dedicated phillips and a small flat blade would be better suited.  I never have liked Leatherman's can/bolttle opener.  An extra large flat with wire stripper, chisel, Awl or well I'm not quite certain but something else would be better.  All in All the Wave is an exceptionaly capable tool and was a pleasure to cary and use.  It saddens me that so many have to choose between a good tool and obaying the law.  Of corse Obay the law, but do what you can to get it changed.  Good people should not have to suffer because there are those out ther that waste our good Oxygen.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #2302 on: September 30, 2018, 08:52:58 PM
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2303 on: September 30, 2018, 09:11:31 PM
September Storm:

Our first snow storm of the season.... :ahhh

September Storm Recap:

I’ve always liked the Wave platform. And I thought this would be a fairly straightforward 30-challenge.

While deployed, my multitool was always a Charge AL, a great version of the Wave design. As a result, I’ve had a lot of experience carrying a Wave-type multi for extended periods. I felt the tool set was good (maybe in need of an awl) and had proven useful on many occasions.

However, I always carried the Charge in a sheath, either on my belt or on my armor. And when home, the Charge usually got carried for specific purposes: fishing trip, camping trip, etc…..  Often the Wave got left behind in favor of the smaller and lighter Juice S2.

But a while back I discovered the pocket clip option and the Charge got carried a bit more often. So, I viewed this challenge as a chance to try dedicated pocket carry with a clip.

Wow. The clip has made a dramatic difference in how I see this tool.

Before, it seemed too big for pocket carry, and I didn’t feel like carrying a belt sheath constantly. Now, after 30 days of carry (mostly in my pocket), the Wave seem quite innocuous and a joy to carry.

So, this challenge really opened up the possibility of Wave EDC carry for me.

As others have already said, the Wave/Charge series is nicely designed and packs a fine tool set for it’s size. I now find that I do like the OHO capability more than I had thought. There have been a few times when the Wave just got pulled out and knife flashed open to cut a package open or snip a piece of string. This happened so naturally that I scarcely gave it a thought.

So that’s nice.

Additional advantages: great pliers heads with comfortable handles, great wire cutter, good knife shape/design (although I’d go for a FFG over the current high-saber grind), good scissors, and I like the exchangeable bit system (especially with the bit extender). The diamond file is a big hit with me and it actually works!

Overall, I find the tool set to be well thought out and balanced. I think this tool achieves Tim Leatherman’s vision of a “Boy Scout knife with pliers” very well.

Naturally, we awl have our preferences, and I think the serrated saw and jeweler’s driver bits are  extraneous. In place of the serrated blade, I’d opt for a bimetal hacksaw blade. In place of the jeweler’s driver, I’d choose and awl. But that’s just me.

And can’t we get a 154cm blade or S30V blade in the Wave? If this is your primary knife, a nicer steel in the blade would be…..nice. (I may just go ahead and make this mod myself, but I’d like to see it as an option.)

A last advantage is the ease with which the Wave can be disassembled for modding or cleaning.

As I see it, the Wave still has some disadvantages, too. The clip makes it easier to carry, but doesn’t make it any lighter. This is a big chunk of steel. True, after extended carry, I don’t notice it, but it’s still a heavy thing. I expect the lighter Juice S2 or Skeletool will find a place in some hiking/backpacking trips.

While the handles are comfortable for me when using the pliers/wire cutters, when using the OHO blades I find there are a number of sharp corners and ‘hot spots’. There is a definite crude quality to the Wave, especially once you’ve handled a Victorinox Spirit.

I don’t mind that crude quality. My Wave was initially a bit stiff and perhaps even a bit gritty. I did give it an initial cleaning and a small break-in with oil. After a month, it is pretty smooth and easy to use. I can now operate the pliers with one hand, both to open and close.

I still haven’t figured out how to flick open those lovely little scissors with one hand…….

My final impression is that the Wave continues to impress me as an excellent tool with a well-balanced design and a high degree of utility. Well made, if a bit crude, and seemingly durable. With a pocket clip, the Wave becomes a true piece of EDC kit for me.

I can heartily recommend a Wave/Charge for anyone who is looking for a robust multitool packed with utility.   :tu:

Thanks for the badge, Zoidberg!  :hatsoff:

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #2304 on: September 30, 2018, 09:41:08 PM
Thanks Zoidberg for the badge my first.

Day 30

To end this challenge a photoshoot

This challenge hasn’t so dificult because I always edc the wave the only hard part it’s to always take photo from what I’m doing but after that it gets easier.

I was doubtful about to keep the surge or the wave but once I Got the pocket clip it feels more natural to edc te wave sometimes I forget I had it in my pocket and that was the reason I upgrade to the wave + I loved.

Thanks everyone to let me be part of this awesome forum I’ll try to participate in the other posts with my little knowledge and opinions.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2305 on: September 30, 2018, 09:45:26 PM
Day 30 of 30  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

End of 30 days carry results for the Wave +  -----  I highly recommend getting the newest variation  This tool is high quality and has not failed in my expectations of it. This will be a user for years to come. I may buy another to put back for later use, When you find a good tool buy 2 or 3.  :D

20180930_133410

20180930_133404

20180930_133320

This challenge was pretty easy considering the Wave is my daily carry year round, The Wave + I bought is better than the last Wave round  IMO even with the newer plier head with the aggressive tooth pattern we have gone over before.

I give the Wave + a thumbs up..

20180930_133444
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #2306 on: September 30, 2018, 10:29:50 PM
Day 30 - Quiet Sunday here at home front.  Made trip out to see a grandson goalie a hockey game, did well with a shut out and win 1-0.

At home my WAVEs posed for a duet picture stuck in a tree.

Thoughts later...
IMGP2470 - Edited.jpg
* IMGP2470 - Edited.jpg (Filesize: 299.51 KB)
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nl Offline LanWolf

• */ Just A Byte */
Reply #2307 on: September 30, 2018, 10:51:05 PM
Tanks a lot for the badge! Had not mad day 30 yet :)

Day 30:
Today i helped a newbe ham installing a skyloop, and it worked out great.
Wire cutters, wire stripper, pliers and pe knife blade from the wave were used many times today

My overall thoughts on the wave:
Like the overall Package, the OHO tools work great for me, i have used the wire stripper today for the fitst time and i was pretty impressed by it.
The bits are to short or wide for small tasks, like laptop screws and a lot of other small screws like today on a screw terminal.
I am curious how the rebar Will stand up to it

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2308 on: September 30, 2018, 11:07:01 PM
Well done everyone I hope everyone
has enjoyed the challenge as much as me  :cheers:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2309 on: September 30, 2018, 11:33:47 PM