Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Member Needs PST2 Knife Blade.

Offline ButchW

New Member Needs PST2 Knife Blade.
on: August 11, 2018, 12:59:27 AM
I have a Leatherman PST2 with a broken blade. Leatherman says the will repair or replace. I doubt they have parts, and don’t really want a replacement. It is used for fishing where the diamond file and blade are the most important... Next comes compactness and light weight... Anyone have a blade for sale..I am in SO CA USA....
Thank you
Butch

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New Member Needs PST2 Knife Blade.
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 01:23:57 AM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:  Leatherman very well might have a replacement blade for it. Might not be a serrated one but maybe a PE from a PST. If you mark it as sentimental they will only fix what is broken and send you back your original tool.

Good luck  :tu: someone might have one here as well.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:59:27 AM
I had the same issue with my Flair. I settled on a plain-edge PST blade. Fits fine. And maybe one day I'll find a combo blade for it again. Maybe someone else has a better idea. Good luck, ButchW! Oh, and welcome to MT.o. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:24:05 PM
FYI,

Last week I had correspondence with Leatherman about repairing one of my old PST2's.

The answer I got just last week was that they don't have any PST2 parts in stock so it would be replaced with a Wave if I sent it in.

So I sent it in.

I don't have any of the Wave models, and it seems to have a lot to offer in a small package, so let's see. I believe it has a diamond file, scissors,  plain blade and scalloped blade.

Offline ButchW

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:14:11 PM
Thanks guys... I kinda wanted to repair it my self... But maybe, I should just send it in for replacement... How much heavier/bulkier is the Wave than the PST2? I don't really have any attachment to this particular tool, other than, I like old things (Being old myself ;) ).... And more is not always better... The wave does have some useful tools though... Would they send the Wave or Wave+, think you?...

Butch

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:53:39 AM
Well, Butch. I just received the Wave in the mail from Leatherman. It is in replacement of a PST2, and it is the much more prevalent Gen 2 Wave, with the removable bits but not the + with replaceable wire cutters.

I'm very happy with it!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 04:16:09 AM
Thanks guys... I kinda wanted to repair it my self... But maybe, I should just send it in for replacement... How much heavier/bulkier is the Wave than the PST2? I don't really have any attachment to this particular tool, other than, I like old things (Being old myself ;) ).... And more is not always better... The wave does have some useful tools though... Would they send the Wave or Wave+, think you?...

Butch

Hi Butch,

It won't likely be an OG Wave, and it won't likely be a new Wave+, either.

According to my measurements, the 2ND generation (most common, longest produced) Wave weighs in at  about 8.5 ounces (240 grams) and the PSTII is 5.25 ounces (150 grams) or thereabouts.

It doesn't end there...

While both are 4 inches long (101mm), the width of the Wave is 38.5mm at the widest points where the one hand opening portions of the blades jut out, while the PSTII is a uniform 26.5mm wide, end to end. The heights of these tools when laid flat on a table is Wave = 17.5mm high and PSTII = 11.5mm high.

So, in many ways the Wave may be better for having a few more individual or modular tools, or even one hand opening blades. Having said that, the PSTII is SO much in a small, slim, sleek, pocket able package it is hard to ignore as an option . Even the leather sheaths reflect the size difference.

I like them both for different reasons. My GF absconded with my original PSTII, and now she snagged the Wave we just got. So even she is becoming a collector.

Offline ButchW

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 12:28:13 AM
Thanks TB, for all the info... My new whatever was shipped yesterday. Kinda sad about losing the smaller PST2, but it will be cool to have a new toy...
Butch

Offline ButchW

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 08:36:44 PM
Thanks TB, for all the info... My new whatever was shipped yesterday. Kinda sad about losing the smaller PST2, but it will be cool to have a new toy...
Butch

What customer service!!! I send an old 20+ year old broken PST2, with no proof of puchase... And today I receive a brand new Wave in a leather case... Quite a nice tool... I am 1 happy customer.. :) ...

Butch

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:38:25 PM by ButchW »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:47 PM
Congrats on the Wave as a replacement. I know it’s hard losing your PSTII, but the Wave is a great tool and will serve you well!
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD