Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheffield A100 clone - Modded!

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Sheffield A100 clone - Modded!
on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
Some of you might remember my post about using the scissors from a Sheffield A100 copy in my Coleman Pro Lock. Well, I finally got around to putting something in the Sheffield to replace those scissors. A saw blade from the Coleman Pro Lock! But that wasn't good enough for me... the Sheffield has two flat head drivers with the exact same dimensions. One on the file tool, and the other on the bottle opener tool. The bottle opener tool is VERY thin and dinky, and using any kind of force on a screw causes it to twist horribly. So.... I got rid of it too! Instead, I replaced it with a scraper blade from a Schrade Tough Tool. The Pro Lock saw required just a teeny bit of filing to fit. The stop on the blade needed to be filed back a little, and it needed to be made just a hair deeper. No biggie. The scraper blade on the other hand required a lot of work. I had to grind, sand, and file the pivot profile to match, and then I had to add a bushing because the Schrade uses a screw pivot and the Sheffield uses a far thinner rivet.

First, a photo of the tool itself. This is the direct copy of the A100, not the later model without the OHO blade.

Next, photos of the useless scissors. They can't be used when the handles are closed, and when they're open it's just VERY awkward to hold. So, they got ganked and slapped into a spare Coleman Pro Lock cartridge. (That was also a lot of work, but it's all in a different thread)

Charles.
IMG_4544.jpg
* IMG_4544.jpg (Filesize: 211 KB)
IMG_4495.jpg
* IMG_4495.jpg (Filesize: 182.4 KB)
IMG_4496.jpg
* IMG_4496.jpg (Filesize: 191.19 KB)

• No Life Club
Re: Sheffield A100 clone - Modded!
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:26:35 PM
Here's the work done to the Schrade scraper blade. The top pic is an unmodified, unmolested blade. Next is my heavily filed and bushed blade. The last blade is the file from the Sheffield, which I used as a pattern.

The next photo shows the scraper in the opened position.

The final two photos show the saw blade installed. It's not the most useful either, because the thumbscrew is in the way of the blade. The thumbscrew can be removed to give the saw more stroke, though.

Charles.
IMG_4543.jpg
* IMG_4543.jpg (Filesize: 418.65 KB)
IMG_4546.jpg
* IMG_4546.jpg (Filesize: 258.82 KB)
IMG_4548.jpg
* IMG_4548.jpg (Filesize: 123.27 KB)
IMG_4547.jpg
* IMG_4547.jpg (Filesize: 300.58 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:28:51 PM
Finally, here's a pic of the modified tool, all fanned out.  I've also included in some of these pics the original bottle opener blade, in all it's twist-prone sub-par-ness. The scraper blade is going to be far more useful in a tool that will live and be used solely in my garage. (I mean, why use a normal small vice grip when I can use this, and have some extra tools handy)

Charles.
IMG_4545.jpg
* IMG_4545.jpg (Filesize: 278 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:36:00 AM
And here's a pic of the original tool load.

Charles.
s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 240.96 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31