Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me understand the “SwissToo Spirit”

MMR · 44 · 2292

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Help me understand the “SwissToo Spirit”
Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 08:28:43 AM
:hatsoff:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 08:51:23 AM
I have tried my coworker SwissTool and i liked how it felth in barehand but when i tried using with gloves on it wasnt anymore so great. It felt bit slippery and it opening tools with gloves wasnt easy but overall for Spirit was good.
I wont say that LM or SwissTool is better than other but you need to think were do you need tools most and what tools you need.
Price range here where i live is with example Rebar 75-80€ and with Spirit 100-130€

Only Tools Matters

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 02:24:50 PM
Checked prices , from one major dealer in Canada , the Spirit X is cheaper than the Wave+ . You guys in Europe are getting jacked ! In all seriousness , both are fine tools .

I gifted mt Wave + , to a young fella , who has had a streak of bad luck , and has a small toy budget . I still wear the Charge + TTI , for general out and about stuff . Mine came very smooth , not with any typical grittiness , makes a good EDC , I’ll be wearing the Spirit X , come monday , for work .

Best Regards,

Chris

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
I have tried my coworker SwissTool and i liked how it felth in barehand but when i tried using with gloves on it wasnt anymore so great. It felt bit slippery and it opening tools with gloves wasnt easy but overall for Spirit was good.
I wont say that LM or SwissTool is better than other but you need to think were do you need tools most and what tools you need.
Price range here where i live is with example Rebar 75-80€ and with Spirit 100-130€

Only Tools Matters

I often felt like sandblasting the handles of my Spirit X . I have a “ baby finger” lanyard on mine , so slipagage / dropping isn’t too big a problem .

Best Regards,

Chris

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 04:25:38 PM
@Mechanickal  :salute:  excellent post.  My experience with USA Vic was excellent.  Communication was not great but in all honesty neither was LMs.

Certainly taking advantage of either companies warranty plays part in my decision.  I'm super happy I can opt to send in my Vics with the USA.  I'm not sure I'd buy a tool that I'd have to send in across the pond especially with all the drama we've read about with some members in dealing with LM warranties.

From my experience I have sent one Vic in and a few LM :salute: The Vic took something like 6-8 weeks for turnaround :facepalm: and I have never waited more than 2 weeks for a LM (in one case it was less than a week :o ) :cheers: Also I think that the Vic HQ/warranty department is closer to my than LM HQ ;) Communication was nonexistent with Vic but most of the time LM has great communication (but I have had a time or so that it was spotty at best :salute: )

So the warranty and customer service all depends on where you live with both brands :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 03:21:25 PM
Here is why I choose the Spirit every day:

Carry comfort: The slimmer smooth shape makes it go unnoticed in my pockets, whereas the offerings from LM are far more obvious.
Pliers: First the ergonomics are unquestionably better. but also the shape of the pliers-head suits me well (I guess that is depending on what you do)
Tool Selection: Awl, chisel, really fat flat screwdriver, hook...
Tool reach: Especially the Phillips is quite long and can reach into places those stubby LM bits can't.
Separate Bit-holder with standard bits: I see no benefit in an included bit holder, you need to carry extra bits (and extension) anyway, might as well carry a bit-holder. That way you can use it at the same time as the pliers
Scissors: Granted the Scissors of the 91mm are better but I prefer the scissors of the Spirit over those from LM

No OHO / no supersteel on the blade: That is really the smallest issue as blades can be easily supplemented and the butterblade is simply awesome. Because of this I favor the Spirit XC without PE blade (although I still commonly carry an RT, because its so pretty)
No diamond file: Ok, I only use diamond files for sharpening (no idea what others use it for). and that is a task I do at home, so I don't really miss it. Metal cutting/filing is hard on the tool if you need it a lot there is no way around a dedicated tool or the Surge.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 11:48:26 AM
I don't usually carry a Spirit, and here's why...

I very rarely use knife blades on pliers tools, preferring to use a dedicated knife, or a Swiss knife instead. I currently own five knifeless modifications which have been tailored to toolsets that were more useful to me before life circumstances changed. I replaced the knives that I wouldn't use, with other tools that I would. These tools all did a great job when I was working, or had a boat to maintain, but are more than what is needed for urban carry. They still come in handy now, but not as often as they did.

Might need blunt pliers? MP6000 mod
Might need diamond file? Knifeless Wave mod
Might need file nosed pliers? TurboDiesel mod
Camping/Hiking? Fuse-ilier mod and friends
Needs to be pocketable? MP426 mod

I also have tools with non-locking blades which were good to urban carry. A Juice KF4 pairs perfectly with a Climber Small, a Balance pairs well with a traditional slippy, and a Sideclip pairs well with pretty much any Swiss knife.

So when DO I carry a Spirit? When I'll be away from home for a night or more, or if I'm going somewhere where I suspect I might be faced with unexpected challenges, I'll have a Swiss knife in the pocket, and the Spirit in a bag. It is more tool heavy, and has more capabilities, than any other tool of its size and weight. The drivers reach awkward screws, the ergonomics are second to none, the awl has a slow taper, the scissors are robust, and it has a tool that was actually designed to pry with. I do like my knifeless mods, but even though I consider that I have improved them from their stock versions, they're still not as comprehensive as the Spirit. I have the X and RT variants, and they are excellent pieces of the equipment, which have something on board for almost every eventuality. There are some other tools which handle some other tasks better - such as when a diamond file is required, or a smaller phillips, or a corkscrew (I never carry the attachable one for the Spirit), or finer nosed pliers - but the Spirit can handle a wider number of challenges with its chisel and scraper, hook, pry tool, etc.

Long story short, I carry what I think will be the best tool for the day ahead. I always have. If I know what to expect, I'll pick the tool which best fits, if I don't know what to expect, I'll take the Spirit.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 01:06:14 PM
I don't think Leathermans are worth the price. Questionable QC, shoddy scissors,  and they rust too easily. They're disposable. A Chinese knockoff for half the price does the same job.

Swisstools are pricey but worth it. Superior quality, superior fit & finish, better tools. Lasts a lifetime. You only have to buy it once.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:13:09 PM by Singh »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 01:11:00 PM
Buy them all, return the ones you don't like as much until you have one left.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 06:18:32 PM
Easier said than done...  :ahhh
- Terry

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 06:21:34 AM
The outside tool access is the big thing for me regarding the Spirit. Also, the ability to whip it out for use and people not looking twice about it is a big plus as well. Mrs. TJ was optimistic when I told her I acquired a Spirit instead of the usual   :rant when I acquired another Leatherman.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline george1

Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 05:31:18 AM
After owning and modifying dozens of Leatherman MT's and Victorinox SAK's (plus a handful of Gerbers, SOG's and Wengers) l have more or less settled on my EDC.

My usual loadout consists of a Yeoman plus wood saw and a BM Mini Griptillian (Doug Ritter). To this l normally add a multi tool if required and depending on my needs the MT is usually a modified LM Fuse, modified LM Blast or a modified LM Wave. My favourite is the modified Fuse which has a saw and awl added (minus can opener) and a pocket clip.

Over the last year or two, l have been very intrigued by the Spirit X and today l got one (for Father's day).

Although I haven't used it much, my first impression is that its not going to replace my Leatherman's.

l'm impressed by the overall quality and the tool density is excellent. l also love the outside opening tools and the chisel/stripper looks like something that l would learn to love.

The things that l'm disappointed in are mainly things that l never thought would be an issue.
Basically,  the tools that l love from the various SAK's are not used in the Spirit. The knife is weird, the saw and file are really narrow and a bit smaller than should be on a tool of this size.

The scissors were the biggest shock though and l can't decide if l'm using them upside down or not and the opening angle is tiny. l think l might actually prefer the small LM ones.

l will keep playing with it and using it for the next week or two but l'm worried that the Spirit will end up in my drawers with other examples of multi tool design that l like owning but never end up using.

George

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #42 on: September 04, 2018, 04:53:59 PM
If I was restricted by law to only have one Multitool , it would be the Spirit X .

Best Regards,

Chris

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 03:38:50 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!