Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it just me, or has the tool selection on the MP600 gone downhill with time?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
I have an older needle nosed MP600, and I'm liking it quite a bit. It has a combo blade, file, remgrit saw, a can opener, scissors, and a smattering of drivers.

Current models appear to have a plain edged blade, a serrated blade, a file, a lanyard ring, a can opener, and a smattering of drivers. No saw, no scissors. That's a big step backwards IMO. A Lanyard ring is completely useless to me, as is a serrated blade. The scissors do come in handy occasionally, and a saw definitely does -- especially one that can cut plastic or metal easily, with just a change of blades. ESPECIALLY a blade that never, ever wears out and becomes useless.

So, why did they go to such a weenie, light tool load when the remgrit version was so robust and awesome?

Charles.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
I have an older needle nosed MP600, and I'm liking it quite a bit. It has a combo blade, file, remgrit saw, a can opener, scissors, and a smattering of drivers.

Current models appear to have a plain edged blade, a serrated blade, a file, a lanyard ring, a can opener, and a smattering of drivers. No saw, no scissors. That's a big step backwards IMO. A Lanyard ring is completely useless to me, as is a serrated blade. The scissors do come in handy occasionally, and a saw definitely does -- especially one that can cut plastic or metal easily, with just a change of blades. ESPECIALLY a blade that never, ever wears out and becomes useless.

So, why did they go to such a weenie, light tool load when the remgrit version was so robust and awesome?

Charles.

It's not exactly a step backwards. It's just a matter of different model. The one that u mentioned is likely a proscout model. Its one of the more premium model in the Mp600 line. The 2nd toned down version u mentioned is a basic model. They carry different price tags. Different users need/prefer different stuffs. But I do agree the Proscout have a very capable load out.

• No Life Club
Okay, that makes sense I guess. I didn't realize there were different model names within MP600. There are no markings on the tools, so this is confusing. So my version with the remgrit replaceable saw is a better one. Cool. Now that I've modded it a little (removed the can opener and replaced it with the large flat driver from the basic model, and replaced the combo blade with a plain blade from the basic model), I'm quite happy. I am just debating whether I want to swap the blunt nosed head in, or keep it needle-nosed. :)

Charles.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Okay, that makes sense I guess. I didn't realize there were different model names within MP600. There are no markings on the tools, so this is confusing. So my version with the remgrit replaceable saw is a better one. Cool. Now that I've modded it a little (removed the can opener and replaced it with the large flat driver from the basic model, and replaced the combo blade with a plain blade from the basic model), I'm quite happy. I am just debating whether I want to swap the blunt nosed head in, or keep it needle-nosed. :)

Charles.

There are many many many MP600 variants so yes, it's rather confusing...

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)

Charles.

There are many many many MP600 variants so yes, it's rather confusing...

Like Sam says, lots of different MP600 variants.  Without even considering finish (BO or SS), just in plier heads alone there are:

Std Needle Nose with plain wire cutters
"Archer" Needle Nose with plain wire cutters and larger notch for arrows (back of pliers)
Std Needle Nose with (brittle) replaceable wire cutters
Cap Crimper (DET/EOD) Needle nose
Fisherman/technician (super long needle nose)
Blunt Nose with plain wire cutters
Blunt Nose with (brittle) replaceable wire cutters
Cable Cutter

When you throw in all the different minor tools there is a huge number of combinations available.  There is even a variant with a hoof pick, then there is the dedicated sight adjustment tool, the C4 spike ......  :pok:

For more info check out:
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Multi-Plier+600
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:03:49 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• No Life Club
Interesting. The Pro Scout is listed as only ever coming with a warncliffe blade. Mine has the older combo edged blade, and I see several of those on eBay as well. Extra confusing because what I have isn't even listed in the wiki!

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
That sounds about right. The variations on the MP 600 is vast. That was one family I never bothered to get 1 of everything. Most folks wouldn't even bother to note the differences though...so for the vast majority of Gerber MP 600 users, this is a non issue. For collectors, this is a big issue, and one that can cause more gray hairs to show up on the top of ones pate.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Interesting. The Pro Scout is listed as only ever coming with a warncliffe blade. Mine has the older combo edged blade, and I see several of those on eBay as well. Extra confusing because what I have isn't even listed in the wiki!

Charles.

mine did also come with that combo blade  :salute:

PS: I didn't swap the plier head on mine, I just cut off the tips with a Dremel  :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%