Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bottle Opener?

Poll

How important is a bottle opener on your MT?

Mandatory
10 (43.5%)
Nice to have, but I have other openers
7 (30.4%)
I never use a multi-tool bottle opener
2 (8.7%)
I don't open bottles
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Bottle Opener?
on: August 16, 2018, 11:51:32 PM
I'm curious how important this feature is to other people.  :drink: It's always nice to have a bottle opener on hand, but is the lack of an opener a deal-breaker for anyone when picking a multi-tool?
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Bottle Opener?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:54:58 PM
As a bottle opener I have only every used it once and it wasn’t even for me, but as a screwdriver it’s a must!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 12:13:54 AM
I'm curious how important this feature is to other people.  :drink: It's always nice to have a bottle opener on hand, but is the lack of an opener a deal-breaker for anyone when picking a multi-tool?

I'm sure it is deal-breaker for some anyone. For me personally though not important at all.

From a practical viewpoint it is one of the easier functions to add to a tool (even as part of weight reduction), so it is pretty much everywhere. How good they are varies though - some designs clearly prioritize bottle openers a lot higher than others.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:17:16 AM
For me it’s not important but the screwdriver is  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:25:59 AM
I like them more as an integrated feature, like on a SAK how its also a flathead, and on LM's its the can opener.

Now a can opener, I find more important (like the LM one)

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:27:15 AM
Tools > bottle opener for sure! :climber:

Any bottle opener designs that people hate?  I know there have been a few 'combo' tools I've used that punctured a hole in the cap before it lifted the cap :think:
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:31:06 AM
Using the LM can opener does kind of suck. I just don't use one enough to even think about having a dedicated bottle opener. Worst come to worst, there are other ways to open a bottle, and I'd much rather have the extra tools.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 01:29:57 AM
As a bottle opener I have only every used it once and it wasn’t even for me, but as a screwdriver it’s a must!

Concur. If it isn't part of a screw driver, it better be part of something else or a waste of space. I like the wire stripper that recent LM has in the combo opener, but even then....

If I need a bottle opener, I use teeth. Not my own.  >:D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:15:04 AM

Concur. If it isn't part of a screw driver, it better be part of something else or a waste of space. I like the wire stripper that recent LM has in the combo opener, but even then....

If I need a bottle opener, I use teeth. Not my own.  >:D
:tu:
Gotta be a double duty tool, and not just a plain Jane single use tool..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 03:54:39 AM
:tu:
Gotta be a double duty tool, and not just a plain Jane single use tool..
JR

Or incorporated into the design/handle of the tool? So as not to waste a tool slot!
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 04:19:59 AM
As long as it isn't a dedicated tool on a knife/MT, or huge on an OPT (such as those that use the design of a standard opener), I don't mind. A lot of my knives have it incorporated with a screwdriver, can opener, or both. Most have it incorporated with a screwdriver, while the old 108mm German Army knives had a combo can opener/screwdriver/bottle opener (and a file on newer examples) on the end of a great saw.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:03:15 AM
OK, when it comes to LM bottle openers I MUST insert this quote here. IMHO, one of the _best_ MTo postst evarr  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :facepalm:

I'm in for the Rambler. I'll go with the Leatherman bottle opener, also. I once tried to open a beer in a group of friends and managed to poke a hole in the lid. To save face, I rotated the bottle and punched it again. After using the pliers to widen the hole, I put in a straw, trying to act all continental! I was known as strawman after that.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 10:29:51 AM
JR

This pretty much sums up everything I can say about the topic
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 11:17:46 AM
Most glass bottles here are screw-caps, so no need for one.

Despite this, I carry three or four bottle openers. Rebar, Deluxe Tinker, Manager, Nite Ize QuicKey. I could cut down on the redundancy, but each one has additional functions that I do not mind having. I would avoid having a bottle opener that has no other functions, and thankfully they always do on multi-tools.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 11:51:59 AM
+1 on the "using it as a screw driver". Bottle opener is nice and I use it a lot, but I can make do with some other tool. I'm carrying the Director/Executive this month and managed to open bottles with the tip of the nail file.

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 11:52:42 AM
So, tell us, GOAT. Looking for ideas to put a new MT together?

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
as many others, for me it has to be either part of the tool's frame or part of another implement that doubles in function (screwdriver, generally speaking)
 ???

It's just too easy to open a bottle with any other implement, the blade, stabbing with a nail file tip, awl or package opener, twisting it open with the pliers jaws, pinching the cap between the handles and lifting the tool, torquing at an angle with the can opener, or using the corkscrew... :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 05:30:50 PM
Tricky question to answer with the choices given.  Like so many others in this thread, I use other functions (like SAK screwdriver) but not the actual opener (at least not too often).

Just an interesting observation: the original tool on the Soldier/SI was just a flat screwdriver.  I had originally assumed that the screwdriver was stuck on the end of the bottle opener, but it's actually the other way around.
- Steve

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 06:41:59 PM
So, tell us, GOAT. Looking for ideas to put a new MT together?

:pok: :pok:
50% Personal curiousity and 50% design research ;)

Incorporating into other tools is easy! At this point, I'm debating with myself whether or not to spend the time modifying the handles to have a built-in bottle opener, I have a few ideas already but depending on how they affect the ergonomics and structural integrity will decide whether its worth it or not.
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44