Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seeking Rebar modding advice.

MMR · 95 · 4154

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Seeking Rebar modding advice.
on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:37 PM
I got my Rebar today, and while waiting for it to arrive in the mail, I have been looking into modding it a bit.

1) I want to remove the knives
2) I want to add bit drivers

“Why didn’t I just order the knifeless model?”
- knifeless Rebar is 94€ and the regular Rebar is 75€....yeah don’t ask why you pay more for less tools.

Anyway; so first things first

I need some advice on disassembling the Rebar, starting with the pivots opposite of the pliers head, where the tools are.

I currently don’t have any of Loki’s wrenches, so without one of those, is there any good way of “undoing” the pivots?

I have tried with different kind of pliers, but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Seeking Rebar modding advice.
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:54:40 PM
Having done it the hard way I would get loki's wrenches if I were you. I made my own Engineer pliers and they worked fairly well
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57328.msg1032297.html#msg1032297. The pivot on the Rebar is harder than others to get a grip on due to the frames design. It can be done without loki's wrenches but you will damage the heads of the pivot screws.

The main thing is to heat the pivot to loosen the loctite. Also only one side of the pivot turns as the other side is keyed into the frame.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:05:49 PM
As Steve said, get the Loki wrenches. You'll destroy the screw heads using pliers of any kind.  :ahhh

If you damage the screw heads, you void the warranty I think.

Also, the Rebar tool "d-pivot" pivot is set in a d-shape hole in one side, so only one side will unscrew. Be careful, even with Loki wrenches. And split for the + shaped wrenches from Loki, as those have every LM parse screw covered. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:00 PM
Like what everyone said. Get Loki's wrench. To be very honest, before I got my hands on them, I felt they extremely expensive for 2 piece of metal cut to shaped to open LM tools.

I cannot live without them now. I should have bought them from the very start of my modding adventure. They are very well made and definitely worth the money spent!! Save yourself the trouble. Go get them!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:25 PM
Loki wrenches are worth their weight in gold  :tu:
Especially as you won’t damage the pivot screws  :salute:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:47:51 PM
If cost is an issue and it's just a one-off mod, perhaps someone within easy posting distance could lend you some?

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 04:06:06 PM
Okay :MTO: has spoken....loki wrenches it is then.....thanks lads!  :cheers:
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 04:16:45 PM
 :cheers: :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:51:35 PM
Loki wrenches are worth their weight in gold  :tu:

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:12:44 PM
You guys seem rather enthusiastic about Loki’s wrenches.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:28:56 PM
I don’t know of anyone else making these wrenches
So loki-mobile has got the best wrenches that are available  :tu:

us Offline tallowwaters

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 04:16:59 AM

I was until mine stripped out completely.  Engineer pliers for me.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 08:07:41 AM

Is there any good write up on taking a Rebar apart?

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 10:37:55 AM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 03:13:08 PM

Which one stripped out, if it was an early 4 way one and the PST size loki will likely send you a replacement. I have one and I guess the PST size was slightly oversized which would cause it to slip. loki sent me a replacement.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 09:19:38 AM

1st “mod”.......angle-grinderfabulous knife delete..so now it is at least legal to carry in public, and this still was more feasible than paying 25€ more for the “knifeless” model, even though it was a mentally painful thing to do.

Anyway...
A post in Antti Lammi’s “Tool test” thread made me think twice about adding a 2D bit adaptor to my Rebar.

The Rebar has the 3D bit extender, which is great in itself, but is also comparable with leathermans bit extender. The bit extender can be found for like 20-25€.

Where as buying a set of Loki’s wrenches + bit adaptor parts adds up to around 40€, so almost twice as much.

What are your guys thoughts / opinions on this?

A): save money and go for LMs bit extender, and opt for 3D bits compatibility

B): pay more and go for Loki wrenches + 2D bit adaptor parts and be compatible with both 2D and 3D bits

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 10:02:17 AM
Ouch - my eyes :D

Do remember that Loki's wrenches will be useful more than once. I never regret buying mine. I see a lot of modding in your future.

On the 2D bit driver for the Rebar, I've done this too, making the Rebar VX a carry option (even pocket carry) without needing to carry the removable bit driver separately, or necessarily all the bits. On the other hand leaving the Phillips in gives you the option of using normal 1/4" bits if you carry the removable bit driver. Whatever you think suits you best...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 10:26:50 AM
Ouch - my eyes :D

I know....almost brought tears in my eyes to do too. But it would be no good to me if I can't carry it on a regular basis and would just lay around the house somewhere.

The laws here are so strict that you are looking at upwards of 5000 euro fines and it can actually lead to jail time if you are caught carrying a knife in public as well.

So I had to do, what I had to do.....definitely not that I am proud of it...more like the opposite  :facepalm:

Do remember that Loki's wrenches will be useful more than once. I never regret buying mine. I see a lot of modding in your future.

On the 2D bit driver for the Rebar, I've done this too, making the Rebar VX a carry option (even pocket carry) without needing to carry the removable bit driver separately, or necessarily all the bits. On the other hand leaving the Phillips in gives you the option of using normal 1/4" bits if you carry the removable bit driver. Whatever you think suits you best...

Yeah...decisions...decisions  :ahhh

What I really like about the 2D bits; is that you can carry pretty much the amount of bits in the same amount of space (e.g. pouch) as with 3D bits, and in 90% of cases; 2D bits does the job just fine, it's usually only the really stubborn or rounded out screws that the 2D bits struggle with.

With that said, 2D bits are expensive, scarce and easily lost, where as any hardware store has 3D bits and a whole set of them including Phillips, Flatheads, Torx, Hex etc. for under 10 Euro.....I have been using the same 5 Euro bit set I bought on Amazon for over a year now, with no problems or any signs of heavy wear....but when they break or gets lost, I'm not going to cry or be sad about it either as it will be no problem to get a new set of 3D bits.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 01:01:44 PM
No one else have any thoughts / opinions on the matter, that they want to share?

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 01:09:29 PM
No one else have any thoughts / opinions on the matter, that they want to share?

Don't feel bad about the blade and go with the bit extender and 3d bits.   :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 01:22:35 PM
I removed the blade from my
LM Crunch for the same reason
With the knife law in the UK :rant:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 01:50:22 PM

^ this     :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 01:52:13 PM

:tu:

I removed the blade from my
LM Crunch for the same reason
With the knife law in the UK :rant:

Yeah, I can imagine the Laws in the UK are very similar to Ireland. So I'm sure you can relate...and without looking into it, I'm sure that most EU countries follow a similar pattern?

But basically here they narrow down to "any knife carried in any public place" = Possible jail time and up to a 1000 pounds (not 5000 euro as a wrote earlier), UNLESS! ...you can provide a "good reason" for carrying it at that time. E.g. if you are a carpenter carrying a utility knife.

Knife law is defined in the firearm and offensive weapons act of 1990. PART III OFFENSIVE WEAPONS PART III Offensive Weapons Possession of knives and other articles.

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

(4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place - (a) Any flick-knife, or (b) Any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, He shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) Where a person has with him in any public place any article intended by him unlawfully to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate any person either in a particular eventuality or otherwise, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(6) In a prosecution for an offence under subsection (5), it shall not be necessary for the prosecution to allege or prove that the intent to cause injury, incapacitate or intimidate was intent to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate a particular person; and if, having regard to all the circumstances (including the type of the article alleged to have been intended to cause injury, incapacitate or intimidate, the time of the day or night, and the place), the court (or the jury as the case may be) thinks it reasonable to do so, it may regard possession of the article as sufficient evidence of intent in the absence of any adequate explanation by the accused.

(7) (a) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both.

(b) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (4) or (5) shall be liable— (i) On summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, or (ii) On conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

(8) In this section “public place” includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise, and includes any club premises and any train, vessel or vehicle used for the carriage of persons for reward.

(9) In this section “flick-knife” means a knife— (a) Which has a blade which opens when hand pressure is applied to a button, spring, lever or other device in or attached to the handle, or (b) Which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and when released is locked in an open position by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0009.html#zza12y1990s9

So yeah, the knives had to go in one way or the other. I haven't removed the Awl, because technically its not a "knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed".

I have never been stopped or searched by the police here *knock on wood*, but I don't want to risk anything either.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 02:11:48 PM

^ this     :tu:
:iagree: (partially)  ;)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 02:50:48 PM
 :iagree: :tu:

us Offline tallowwaters

Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 04:40:48 AM

Which one stripped out, if it was an early 4 way one and the PST size loki will likely send you a replacement. I have one and I guess the PST size was slightly oversized which would cause it to slip. loki sent me a replacement.

It was the first set.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 06:09:42 AM
My adapter for Rebar, i recommend that you go for 3d adapter cause it gives more compatibility. Dont mind blade if its not really necessary for you or you carry something else what has blade.

Only Tools Matters

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:01 AM
I wish Ireland was like the UK at least.... because in the UK, you can legally carry under 3” non-locking knives like SAKs without needing a reason. :D
Of course, it’s still a bad idea to take your SAK to the pub.  ;) so there are limits.

All hail the hook!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 09:46:07 AM
My adapter for Rebar, i recommend that you go for 3d adapter cause it gives more compatibility. Dont mind blade if its not really necessary for you or you carry something else what has blade.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters

Yeah, I agree.

The 3D bit adaptor is the more feasible / reasonable option

And no, I don't need it to have a knife in it. The times I need a Knife, Serrated Blade or a Saw in it, I have a Stanley utility knife that I use, when I need a knife, which does the job perfectly for me.

I work in the wine business, so all I really need a knife for is to open boxes. :)

I wish Ireland was like the UK at least.... because in the UK, you can legally carry under 3” non-locking knives like SAKs without needing a reason. :D
Of course, it’s still a bad idea to take your SAK to the pub.  ;) so there are limits.

Agree 100%

But lets be honest; it's pretty much a daily occasion in cities like Dublin and Limerick, that someone gets jumped or attacked, so I would say that there is a good reason for the law being written the way that it is here in Ireland.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:03:41 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 12:27:57 PM

Agree 100%

But lets be honest; it's pretty much a daily occasion in cities like Dublin and Limerick, that someone gets jumped or attacked, so I would say that there is a good reason for the law being written the way that it is here in Ireland.
I tend to think that London and etc have the same problem.  :think:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56