Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kicking it old school, Maglite 2c Xenon

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Kicking it old school, Maglite 2c Xenon
on: August 17, 2018, 06:38:53 PM
I work a job in law enforcement(county jail)and I was looking  for a flashlight for work.(Shakedowns,watch tours,walking in dark hallways and offices etc.) and I immediately remembered one time, when my family got pulled over in a traffic stop when I was a kid and the cop had that big maglite shining in our eyes. So I decided if was good then it's good now..right?

Here's a disclaimer: It's heavy, and not very bright compared to the newer led models you can get in 2018.
Here are some specs
*30 lumens
*163 m beam distance
*Water resistant
*Drop resistant
Those 30 lumens may sound laughable but it is adequate for general purpose, and it does throw some light for a good distance.

Overall I think it's a good (relatively) heavy duty flashlight for $18. And it serves me well.(for now)

[Outside pics to come]
20180817_121237.jpg
* 20180817_121237.jpg (Filesize: 16.57 KB)
20180817_121229.jpg
* 20180817_121229.jpg (Filesize: 14.08 KB)
20180817_122325.jpg
* 20180817_122325.jpg (Filesize: 62.18 KB)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:40:57 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Kicking it old school, Maglite 2c Xenon
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:44:17 PM
If you want to lighten it up get sone AA converters  :salute: Sparky sent me some and I added them and a led on one of my 2 Dcell maglites   :tu:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:45:23 PM by Zed »

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:40:28 PM
If you want to lighten it up get sone AA converters  :salute: Sparky sent me some and I added them and a led on one of my 2 Dcell maglites   :tu:
awesome definitely going to try to upgrade it :salute: My questions is will the Led bulb fit in a xenon light? I've heard that the retaining cap for the bulb is shorter on the xenon versions.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 12:01:50 AM
awesome definitely going to try to upgrade it :salute: My questions is will the Led bulb fit in a xenon light? I've heard that the retaining cap for the bulb is shorter on the xenon versions.

I think the hole needs making wider ? You might need to Google it ,there is loads of info on modding maglites online  :tu:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 12:22:45 AM
Maglite nowadays are dead

I think they always were way overrated   :facepalm:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:32:52 AM
Maglite nowadays are dead

I think they always were way overrated   :facepalm:

I would absolutely disagree. They caught up with the technology in the industry and have products that are on par or better than other top companies. Not to mention the 16hr at 625lm and 117hr max runtime! Combine that with a lifetime warranty and being made in the USA and it’s a long proven leader in the industry. Maglites have there place and may not be suitable for everybody, but for the people who need a larger flashlight with great output and amazing run times they are more than suitable.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 06:23:28 AM
As you can see the Xenon bulb can throw some light for a good distance.
20180818_235706.jpg
* 20180818_235706.jpg (Filesize: 34.67 KB)
20180818_235814.jpg
* 20180818_235814.jpg (Filesize: 69.11 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 06:53:57 AM
I still love Maglites.  I have a 3 d cell , countless aa minimags, XL50,  and a 6 d cell around here in purple  ::) ::)

We used the aa minimag in Scouts a lot. They were dependable back in the 80s and I guess us gaining in years still trust them even though there are better options out there. Nothing like a good 6 d cell when you are checking out a strange noise outside. Whoop some ass with it if needed.  >:D

I have a couple of aa LED minimags. They are pretty solid little lights. Cheap too. 10/10 would recommend.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 07:06:42 AM

I think the hole needs making wider ? You might need to Google it ,there is loads of info on modding maglites online  :tu:
I found a retaining cap for the incandescent that will fit in my maglite, same exact cap just with a bigger hole, for 4 bucks, then the Led upgrade is around 10-15 dollars.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 08:23:53 AM

I found a retaining cap for the incandescent that will fit in my maglite, same exact cap just with a bigger hole, for 4 bucks, then the Led upgrade is around 10-15 dollars.

Glad you found something  :salute:

I agree that maglites are probably more used by us older guys n gals as a trusted reliable brand,I've got one 2 Dcell modded in the kitchen draw,my youngest has my old Copper coloured 2 Dcell in her bedroom ,I've got a red 6 Dcell next to my bed as home defence   ;) and a very old AA mini maglite in my backpack ,plus a gifted from here silver solitare on my keychain ,I know I have much brighter newer flashlights but I just love the feel of a Maglite  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%