Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Scissor Satisfaction Society

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
SAK Scissor Satisfaction Society
on: August 17, 2018, 09:40:02 PM
I never used to carry a SAK with scissors. In my estimation, a knife could cut almost anything scissors could, and I enjoyed using and collecting knives, not scissors. But lately I have been carrying my new favorite SAK, the Super Tinker, and have come to appreciate to just how useful the scissors can be. The other day I was lamenting the loss of a nail file on this particular SAK (my previous normal setup was either a Cadet or a Pioneer+Classic) when I realized that the scissors could be used in place of a nail file to trim rough spots on my nails, or even cut down my nail completely, almost as good as proper nail clippers! The more I have these scissors on me, the more I find myself using them for tons of little tasks all over the place.

So I decided to start an appreciation thread for the lovely tool, and here it is!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Re: SAK Scissor Satisfaction Society
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:17:13 PM
Good topic!  I definitely appreciate and depend on the scissors.  While carrying a 58mm Classic/SD SAK for 30+ years on my keychain, I think I used the scissors more than the blade.  Today, my most-used tools are the blade and scissors.  I receive a number of plastic envelop packages and use the scissors to open them.  Pictured below is a package opened by my current EDC, a Victorinox Executive:

CYC - 11 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

I have a wide variety of Swiss Army Knives but the ones that I enjoy the most are equipped with scissors.  I'm quite a fan of the Pioneer series and was delighted when Victorinox introduced the Pioneer X...

Pioneer X by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:51:25 PM
Another SAK scissor fan here.  I use them about as much as the blade.
I carried a Compact for years, then the Pioneer X came out.  It's been my main EDC ever since.
File - 1.jpg
* File - 1.jpg (Filesize: 208.27 KB)
- Steve

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:47 PM
My SAKs with scissors include PX, Compact, Climber, Huntsman, Handyman, Champion, SwissChamp, and Wenger S17 Forester. Good EDC SAKs, all. I carry them, but not a lot. I prefer other implements on my SAK such as saws and serrated blades, and I prefer them two or three layers. That´s why for scissors I carry a MiniChamp (most days), or an Ambassador, as an aside (and for heavy stuff I have my pruning shears).

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:03:50 PM
I am constantly using SAK scissors for numerous things daily. I won’t leave the house without a pair!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:28:07 PM
Another huge scissors fan here. And the Victorinox scissors are just great!

And that Super Tinker? 

Fantastic!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:30:04 AM
I use the scissors as much as any tool on a SAK.  Scissors, a bottle opener, and a knife blade get me through 98% of my SAK needs!

I'm getting ready to build myself a Cadet X, which I think will be my dream VSAK!  :)

Myron

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 02:10:16 AM
I use the scissors as much as any tool on a SAK.  Scissors, a bottle opener, and a knife blade get me through 98% of my SAK needs!

I'm getting ready to build myself a Cadet X, which I think will be my dream VSAK!
I love that old Voyager with the bottle opener instead of the combo tool.
- Steve

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 02:35:39 AM
I never used to carry a SAK with scissors. In my estimation, a knife could cut almost anything scissors could, and I enjoyed using and collecting knives, not scissors. But lately I have been carrying my new favorite SAK, the Super Tinker, and have come to appreciate to just how useful the scissors can be. The more I have these scissors on me, the more I find myself using them for tons of little tasks all over the place.

So I decided to start an appreciation thread for the lovely tool, and here it is!

Great topic GoatDragon! :like: :tu: :tu:

Glad to hear that you have gained an appreciation for the scissors. :cheers:

I love Victorinox Scissors and use them quite a lot.

They have come in handy at times when I have been with someone else who needed scissors to cut something....they are generally surprised at how well the scissors cut. :D

us Offline getahl

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 02:43:39 AM
I never used to carry a SAK with scissors. In my estimation, a knife could cut almost anything scissors could, and I enjoyed using and collecting knives, not scissors. But lately I have been carrying my new favorite SAK, the Super Tinker, and have come to appreciate to just how useful the scissors can be. The other day I was lamenting the loss of a nail file on this particular SAK (my previous normal setup was either a Cadet or a Pioneer+Classic) when I realized that the scissors could be used in place of a nail file to trim rough spots on my nails, or even cut down my nail completely, almost as good as proper nail clippers! The more I have these scissors on me, the more I find myself using them for tons of little tasks all over the place.

(Image removed from quote.)

I certainly used to think a knife was an acceptable substitute for scissors. And then I had kids. Cutting tags off clothes and toys, wristbands, fingernails and toenails, everything seems to be close to skin. So, much rather use a pair of scissors than a blade. It's not that I prefer one over the other, but each has their own place.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 05:15:19 AM
I *must* have a set of SAK scissors on my person. Always. Even if it’s only the set on my keyring Classic.

While I respect the opinion of those who claim a knife blade can do anything scissors can...

They are mistaken.  :D

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 07:45:06 AM
Scissors. The tool that cried out to be appreciated with its own Society.

They're the thing that unites almost all of us here. They are simply excellent. Whether 58mm, 74mm, 91mm or whatever. Most Excellent.

They're my one struggle with Spartan Saturday ... saved by a Classic usually.

But which type of scissors ? Vic or Wenger/Delemont ? Traditional 91mm style or Spirit style? Poll anyone?

:like:

IMG_0632.jpg
* IMG_0632.jpg (Filesize: 260.41 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 09:04:58 AM
I love 'em! Though I prefer the larger ones in the larger SAKs.

LM Wave's scissors also seem to be doing just fine for me but for some reason that ins unknown to me, SAK scissors "feel" much more satisfactory!
Which -again- reminds me of the fact that whether I'm starting to want to be a SAK Knight or not...

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 10:40:57 AM

I'm getting ready to build myself a Cadet X, which I think will be my dream VSAK!  :)

Myron

(Image removed from quote.)

That Voyager.....   :drool: :drool: :drool:

Why can't Vic just release a cross between the old Voyager with the proper bottle opener and  the back of a small Tinker...  :cry:
Why did they had to put that bloody combo tool on the 84mm line...?

While I respect the opinion of those who claim a knife blade can do anything scissors can...

Well....it can't do "everything " the scissors can, but it can do 90% of it for sure, just not as easily or as practical sometimes... But then again, nothing on a Sak it really the "ideal" tool for everything.... Just the best possible to help you out in a tight spot, and conveniently in your pocket...  :D

I honestly think a lot of our "obsession" (**cough**)  love over the Sak scissors has to do a bit more with the coolness "gimmicky" of that cool mini tool, than of an absolutely "must have/need" on the Sak.
I speak for myself of course, while i'd absolutely love to have scissors on my small tinker or tourist/sportsman, the ones on my keychain classic do 95% of all i need scissors for, and even if i had none on me i would surly and happily make do with the blades.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:12:52 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 01:37:25 PM
Like everything, I didn't know I'd miss them til I had them  :ahhh
You might have to click on the picture
20180818_082850-1.jpg
* 20180818_082850-1.jpg (Filesize: 241.86 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 02:19:47 PM
Scissors. The tool that cried out to be appreciated with its own Society.

They're the thing that unites almost all of us here. They are simply excellent. Whether 58mm, 74mm, 91mm or whatever. Most Excellent.

They're my one struggle with Spartan Saturday ... saved by a Classic usually.

But which type of scissors ? Vic or Wenger/Delemont ? Traditional 91mm style or Spirit style? Poll anyone?

:like:

Nice SAK Bill! :like: :tu: :tu:

I prefer the Vic scissors. :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 02:24:53 PM
Like everything, I didn't know I'd miss them til I had them  :ahhh
You might have to click on the picture

Nice pic Greg! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Frailer

Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 03:26:52 PM

Well....it can't do "everything " the scissors can, but it can do 90% of it for sure, just not as easily or as practical sometimes... But then again, nothing on a Sak it really the "ideal" tool for everything.... Just the best possible to help you out in a tight spot, and conveniently in your pocket...  :D

I completely agree. In fact, I think many of our preferences are the result of which specific functions we’re willing to compromise on and which we aren’t.

For example, I can understand why some love the inline Phillips driver, but I’m content with using the can opener or combo tool most of the time, and the added thick layer (and associated magnifier—which I also don’t need) isn’t worth it to me.

But I am unwilling to compromise when it comes to trimming my fingernails, which grow like weeds. I suppose I *could* use a knife blade for the task, but I won’t.   :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 04:09:32 PM

I completely agree. In fact, I think many of our preferences are the result of which specific functions we’re willing to compromise on and which we aren’t.

For example, I can understand why some love the inline Phillips driver, but I’m content with using the can opener or combo tool most of the time, and the added thick layer (and associated magnifier—which I also don’t need) isn’t worth it to me.

But I am unwilling to compromise when it comes to trimming my fingernails, which grow like weeds. I suppose I *could* use a knife blade for the task, but I won’t.   :D

Well said. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 05:41:44 PM

That makes me curious, do you carry a SAK with a file in addition to the scissors? Or are the scissors alone enough to meet your nail trimming needs?

us Offline Frailer

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 06:22:04 PM

That makes me curious, do you carry a SAK with a file in addition to the scissors? Or are the scissors alone enough to meet your nail trimming needs?

Great question. Yes, I use a file as well.

I usually carry a Compact, and I use the file on the hook. Why doesn’t Victorinox use this version of the hook on all their 91mm knives?

Regardless of what knife I’m carrying, there’s always a Classic on my keychain.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 10:08:58 PM

I wouldn't use a blade for that either, i just use a good old standard nail clipper  :D
I couldn't cut my nails with any scissors of any kind. I just cringe at the thought of it...  :ahhh

Regardless of what knife I’m carrying, there’s always a Classic on my keychain.

+2   :salute:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:12:32 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 07:15:36 AM
 :salute:
IMG_5591.jpg
* IMG_5591.jpg (Filesize: 143.22 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 12:22:25 PM

I wouldn't use a blade for that either, i just use a good old standard nail clipper  :D
I couldn't cut my nails with any scissors of any kind. I just cringe at the thought of it...  :ahhh

I'm just the opposite, I'm perfectly fine using only scissors (58mm/74mm) on my nails, :climber:
whereas the grinding of a file with my fingernails gives me nightmares and I just can't  :dwts:

Nail clipper is the best, scissors second, and I don't even contemplate using a file for that  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 01:49:41 PM
I’m not used to SAKs without scissors... Vic scissors especially... sometimes I use the 58mm scissors to cut nails too... And their fine cutting paracord... But nothing feels better than the bigger scissors...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:23 PM
My nails are trimmed and filed with a Rambler.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 03:49:24 PM
I used to think y'all just like using scissors for nails.  I prefer clippers but I've used 58mm scissors and they work pretty good.  I follow up with the file  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 05:09:08 PM
For me any SAK or MT has to have scissors to see regular carry, and I love the Vic scissors, they're precise but big enough to be used in most everyday situations, so a big fan here! Below are my most carried SAK's - some of my other models have scissors too, but they're a bit bulky to be pocket carried (Explorer, Swisschamp), while the ones without them only see occasional carry, even though I love the looks of Alox, my Pioneers mostly sit in the box, but pretty soon a PX will join the "EDC club".
scissors.jpg
* scissors.jpg (Filesize: 75.57 KB)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 12:02:38 PM
Love SAK scissors. I prefer the Vic style, although serrated Wenger/Delemont scissors work better when the blades need a good hold on the thing being cut.

I used to cut my nails with a clipper until I rediscovered SAK scissors. Since then, I've used nothing else. It feels better, and I feel I get a tidier result as well. I even cut my toenails with them :o - but only after a shower or bath to soften them :D. Wenger scissors can be used for nails in an emergency but the nail file is absolutely there for a reason!

Also, SAK scissors work brilliantly in either hand. :tu:

Fabulous things. The 58mm ones cut well above their size. :salute:
Rambler

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 09:37:19 PM
 :angel:
Scissors-1080.jpg
* Scissors-1080.jpg (Filesize: 438.16 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD