Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should 'Owners' Club' threads be cluttered up with 'everyday' pics?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
I think no. I prefer them in the 'What tool did you carry today...' type threads, then they are easier to avoid....  :whistle:  :pommel:
What do you think?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
If you're carrying the tool that day... why not?

Or would you like beauty shots only?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I think no. I prefer them in the 'What tool did you carry today...' type threads, then they are easier to avoid....  :whistle:  :pommel:
What do you think?

:D

Here's what I think

You call it clutter I call it a way to keep those threads from falling away ten pages back. It also creates traffic which bring revenue to the forum and helps keep the lights on.

Also most people like to see current pics. If everyone just posted one pic of a tool and then never posted another those threads would be pretty boring.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
I think that the pics make the forum more
interesting it’s always nice to see a good pic  :salute:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

nz Offline Syncop8r

The same pics across several threads gets pretty boring and I find myself losing interest in the forum if that's all it is.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
The same pics across several threads gets pretty boring and I find myself losing interest in the forum if that's all it is.
I get what you are saying  :tu:
what is it that you are you looking for from the forum  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Would those topics be anywhere near the front page if not for those pics?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reviews, mods, info on how they work, yes even the odd 'beauty pic'.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:30:17 PM by Syncop8r »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reviews, mods, info on how they work, yes even the odd 'beauty pic'.
But what else can you do with the owners club threads
I can’t see what else you can really do on those threads
Otherwise they will get hardly used only
when a member has a new tool would it be used  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:03:24 AM by Wspeed »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
What do you think?

:D

Here's what I think

You call it clutter I call it a way to keep those threads from falling away ten pages back. It also creates traffic which bring revenue to the forum and helps keep the lights on.

Also most people like to see current pics. If everyone just posted one pic of a tool and then never posted another those threads would be pretty boring.
I 100% agree, however.....
I agree with this. Post a different pic for each forum or thread.
However, I can see why some do this because some will not leave other forums and stay in Swiss Knights only or Leatherman only for example and will not check out what else MTO truly has to offer. Sadly MT.O is not the same as it was when I join. Now there are just a bunch of small clicks and if you are not one of the few who move around the whole site, you will miss a ton of info and fun. I have seen people complaining about challenge threads. Really, this is a site about all multitools and not just about SAKs or SOGs or whatever. We do the challenges for fun and to learn something.
Not sure when and what happened, but at one time we would have great threads with tons of discussion and a few derails and learned a lot and had fun. Not like the other forums. Still, this is one of the best forums out there and Def (Grant/Boss) dragged me from SOSAK to here when this site started. Best thing ever happened to me. I am good friends with people like Steve, Mags, Gaute, Al and many more. I have talked to people around the the world and have become close friends with some of them and would not think twice if they ask if they could stay at my place for a gathering or just to drink a brew.
This is MTO. We talk about all multitools not just SAKs or Gerbers or LM and we talk about more than just tools. We talk about survival, camping, Jeeps, 4x4s and tons of other stuff. Sadly nobody wants to talk about anything except what for special forum they joined.

This is just my two cents worth. Don't take anything I say to heart. Peace bromigos. Ducttapetech out.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
I try, every now and then, to post new threads to promote discussion about many different tools. Those threads generally die quickly. Daily photos DO keep the club threads fresh.
I, personally, will try harder to take different images for the respective threads when I can from now on. I can, at least, make that compromise. I would hope others will join in that effort.

On another note:
I admit that I have fallen off from being on this site a bit from the massive amount of posts putting anything Victorinox on a pedestal.
Example: A new member asks which Leatherman we recommend, and several people say something like "gee, have you heard about swisstools?".  :facepalm:
I understand the appeal of being a diehard fan of something(even though I find fandom a limiting characteristic in collecting), but plugging your obsession into irrelevant threads gets old. IMO of course.

I am in no way dissing Vic, but maybe we could cool our Vic jets a bit? It seems like you can't even be taken seriously on MT.o without having SAKs kicked in somewhere(in photos, collections and comparison threads).

On to the challenges:
I don't understand the criticisms people have. There are challenges for 1 & 2 layer SAKs, big SAKs, SwissTools, SOGs, Waves, Gerbers, Off-brands, etc.. All over the board from what I see. The ones I have been involved in DID HAVE good discussion and points. Just go read the SOG PAD challenge thread.  :tu:

About thread derails:
This is a huge problem. And I am a bit guilty in joining in irrelevant banter in inherently serious threads. I do try to keep a check on myself as far as starting derailment goes,  but I think I've derailed a couple of threads, so I can't claim I'm innocent.
My watch reorganization thread is a prime example of how badly a thread can get derailed. I should have worked harder to keep it on track. My inclusion in the derailment was ridiculous in hindsight. And I think it is prudent for any OP to attempt to keep a thread on track. And as responders to posts, I feel we could work harder to avoid escalating derailment. There are plenty of threads to post silly stuff in.

All of what I wrote in this post isn't a well thought out statement. More, just me, thinking out loud. Take it or leave it. Doesn't really matter, does it?
The one thing I can try and do better with is diversifying my photos in different club/show us threads.
Maybe I will only post my EDC in just 1 or 2 of those threads per day, instead of posting the same photo in 5 or 6 different threads. Post count has never been important to me, and I don't feel it should be very important to others. But, everyone has their stuff that makes them happy. Maybe post counts make some people happy.

Some of our efforts to respond to so many posts may be better directed at original content...sometimes. not saying we should only have original and serious threads, but replacing some irrelevant/uninteresting posts with original/thought provoking threads might ne helpful to MT.o.

Anyway, these comments won't help my popularity here, but they are honest. :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:52:41 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Hey wait!

There are people who really hate thread derails?

I need to get my act together then...

• Zombie Apprentice
I don't want anyone to think I 'hate' derails. I just find them to make, keeping a thread interesting, impossible. Sure, most derails are a good laugh and quite a bit of fun, but once two or three pages of something is no longer relevant to the post title topic, nobody is going to bother reading through it or trying to contribute to the original subject matter.

Like I said, I am guilty as anyone with derailing threads, but I do see where I could improve upon my habits in regards to derailment escalation.  :ahhh

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

I think it's great we have subforums for non-multitool stuff, and it's OK for threads about multitools to derail a little every now and then and for the odd bit of silly stuff. That's what makes this forum great.  :tu:

I'm not sure what the complaints about challenges are, although I have to ask, is the challenge to merely take a pic each day? Or to actually (solely) use that tool every day?  :pok:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Hey wait!

There are people who really hate thread de rails?

Well, I hate "the rails" threads, as I've never been a fan of locomotives and Thomas the Engine gave me some serious trauma as a kid  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Something tells me that could be an interesting story...
Something else tells me I don't want to know...

Even something else tells me I'm derailing again here... :facepalm:

:b2t:

• Zombie Apprentice
Well, we can put it back 'on track' by remembering all of us are different, and that is part of what MT.o great
 :)

Anybody care to hop in on posting unique photos to respective club/what tool threads?  :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
For me a challenge means
to try and use the tool everyday and to use
all the tools at least ones that’s a challenge
Just posting a pic of the tool looking pretty isn’t
But that is my opinion  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

I'm all for a variety of pics, I usually try to take at least three pics a day to post. A group shot, a knife pic and a MT  and then post them in relevant threads.

On the other hand there are a lot of members that don't ever bother to post pics or even join in on any discussions so    :dunno:

In comes down to the regular posters to keep this place interesting and fun so step it up peeps  :D

Good thoughtful posts fellas    :salute:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Just to de-rail this thread a bit more - I'm a fan of many (but not all) de-railing posts as I've learnt all sorts of interesting stuff and some of the crazy ones are quite amusing, but at times others seem to evolve into post-count fillers, and consequently feel more like spam.  When that happens it is quite easy for me to click elsewhere to something that I do find interesting, so it's no big deal anyway.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
I use the "replies" page on this site.it shows the threads I have posted in that have replies, even when it is something silly or uninteresting. After exhausting the replies age, I go to the "unread" page to see what nre threads and posts ar unread to me 

It woule be nice if, say a post in the general tool section had a multi tool and watch in the photo. Instead of three pages about g-shocks in an MT thread, we could have a new thread on the watch. If the OP was up to it. Or the member curious about the watch could start a thread asking about it,  if they didn't want to ask OPs in the MT thread about a watch.

Just some more thinking out loud. :facepalm:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Hopefully not to loud GLBM  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I'm not sure what the complaints about challenges are, although I have to ask, is the challenge to merely take a pic each day? Or to actually (solely) use that tool every day?  :pok:

I've asked this question myself.

And I think there is room for both kinds of threads. Each has it's own merits and it's own fun. At the end of the day (or 30 days) each participant has gotten out of a challenge what he or she has put into the challenge. From that perspective, it's all good.  :cheers:

Having said that, I would like to see a few more 'hardcore' challenges where it's one tool for 30 days.....on a desert island.....without any beer. OK, that may be too extreme....30 days without a beer seems a bit ridiculous. Still, I'd like to see some more challenge in some challenges. And, my impression is that anyone can set up a challenge and make up rules to make a more challenging challenge, so anything is possible.

A few recent challenges have done that and were successful in doing so, I think.  And if you want to set up a more challenging challenge....I'm in!  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Considering the quite narrow scope of this forum (mainly tools in their different forms) and the lack of real departure from the design of the original MT's I'm amazed that we still retain an enthusiasm to talk endlessly about them with such camarderie and respect - it's astonishing.

As one of the biggest thread derailers I apologise for upsetting any of you who feel annoyed by it - I'm in a spot now where I feel I've said everything I ever want to say about tools and knives, so I tend to try and amuse myself and (hopefully others) with silliness. That's not to say I don't read an awful lot of very interesting and informative posts every day - and without exception, this site is full of amazing, intelligent and witty folk.  :salute:

In regards to pics, while I don't have the stomach to take a photograph of what I'm carrying every day anymore, I'm very grateful to those of you that do, even if the same photo is posted on several threads - it takes thought and effort to post pics and it keeps the interest up so thanks to all you who do it.

I also feel that because of the limited amount of tools out there and the aforementioned lack of real and useful innovation (I guess the design of the original PST is hard to improve on more than OHO and o/s opening tools etc) we have done well to find lots of common ground on a wide range of other subjects. It speaks volumes of Grant and the mods, and the forum members that the tone of the site is rarely less than respectful, jovial and truly supportive.

I count many of you as friends (you all know who you are) and as someone who feels socially awkward at the best of times, this forum and you all mean the world to me and I count myself a lucky man to be a part of it.

Cheers all!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:34:26 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Oh, and in answer to the OP question - Yes.  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Define "friends"...

And no, not that 90's nillies soap...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Define "friends"...

You know, the people he had over last weekend to help repaint the U-boat stateroom. The smell of the paint in that confined space was a bit cloying, but the home-brewed mead and that roast pig more than made up for the work. Thanks again, Mags. And good to see so many forum members turn out for this "Tom Sawyer" party.   :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Thought so :cry:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
And shouldn't you be baking brownies?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Define "friends"...

You know, the people he had over last weekend to help repaint the U-boat stateroom. The smell of the paint in that confined space was a bit cloying, but the home-brewed mead and that roast pig more than made up for the work. Thanks again, Mags. And good to see so many forum members turn out for this "Tom Sawyer" party.   :tu:
Thank you all for helping out so willingly. Thanks Nix for the paint - just the right shade of beigy grey to encourage an atmosphere of eternal despondancy and innui.
Roast pig? ummmmmmmmmmm  :think: Oh, the dead guy we found in the toilet.  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD