Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom SAKs from the factory?

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Custom SAKs from the factory?
on: August 22, 2018, 08:45:36 PM
Hi,

just found this on the web:

https://m.bote.ch/nachrichten/schwyz/schwyz_bdu/das-erneute-aufflammen-von-handelskriegen-dient-niemandem;art146989,1109038

It's behind a paywall. But it seems they are experimenting with the possibility to order customized SAKs from the factory.

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

it Offline shadowrider

Re: Custom SAKs from the factory?
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:00:54 AM
Great info!  :tu:
Here is a readable link to the article:
https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft/zur-staerkung-des-online-handels-jetzt-kommt-das-personalisierte-sackmesser-id8589551.html

I am not sure they mean a knife will be totally customizable. Here is the sentence in German:
Der Kunden kann zwischen verschiedenen Farben der Schalen wählen, er kann jede Seite individuell gestalten und – falls gewünscht – einen Namen oder eine persönliche Widmung anbringen lassen.

Can some German-speaker translate it (Google Translate isn't helping much)?

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:04:39 AM
My translate program says:
The boss celebrates and the customers can be happy: Soon it will be possible on it all over the world to design a pocket knife by Victorinox to his own personal taste.
Victorinox boss Carl Elsener (60) reveals these plans for the double jubilee in an interview with the "Bote des Urschweiz". Elsener has worked for the company for 40 years and turned 60 this week.
In the interview tells of his early fascination for the knife with the red deck bowls. This will continue to exist, but in the future every customer should be able to decide on the Internet "what his pocket knife should look like". And order this online.
Online should be strengthened
Specifically, the customer can choose between different colors of the shells, he can customize each part individually and - if desired - a name or a personal dedication can be attached.
This option is only available in selected Victorinox stores: "We are currently testing how we can extend this offer to e-commerce," says Elsener.
Victorinox wants to strengthen its online sales channel. The sack knife producer from Ibach SZ generates sales of 475 million francs with 2,100 employees worldwide. (KOH)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 03:07:52 AM
Great info!  :tu:
Here is a readable link to the article:
https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft/zur-staerkung-des-online-handels-jetzt-kommt-das-personalisierte-sackmesser-id8589551.html

I am not sure they mean a knife will be totally customizable. Here is the sentence in German:
Der Kunden kann zwischen verschiedenen Farben der Schalen wählen, er kann jede Seite individuell gestalten und – falls gewünscht – einen Namen oder eine persönliche Widmung anbringen lassen.

Can some German-speaker translate it (Google Translate isn't helping much)?

Here is the google translated version of the page anyway. Best we can do unless a german speaker comes along and can do better.

Offline ulli

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:58:16 AM
The translation of gadgetman is really accurate.

In my opinion, this would mean a huge step, but the right to take. Hopefully, this means the end of all that online shops and stores with their "limited" special runs of victorinox knives like SB, cutleryshope etc.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:17:40 AM
So it's not really a custom SAK?  Just different scales, applied at the factory.  Cool, but not a Pioneer-Cyber-Modeler-X. ;)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 10:46:19 AM
I don't think they will offer customers to order their own customized selection of tools. I think it will be too complicated to be affordable for one single knife. Also I think that would put them in conflict with their dealers, who will then see their sales drop. Cuz why would people buy a couple of standard model SAKs at a dealer if they could order one knife with only all their desired tools directly at Vic?

It would however be great if they make it possible to order completely customized SAKs in certain minimum quantities (like 100 or 200) through their website. Would be great for forums and clubs etc.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:22:37 AM
Forget factory, talk to Syph007.

Next question?

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 12:28:59 PM
The text does state that the client can choose between different scale options in terms of colours and "even" engravings like names or other texts.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:04 PM

The client can choose between different scale colours. Every side can be selected individualy and - when desired - a name or personal message can be added.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 12:43:28 PM
Doesn't seem to offer the chance to choose the tools to be mounted on the knife...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline ulli

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 12:49:54 PM
No, but hopefully you can choose between different models like spartan, climber, ...

Most of the "special run knives" the online shops offer are standard models just with different scales.

At the moment, it IS possible to order special runs from victorinox with a minimum of 50 or 100 pieces.

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 02:35:22 PM
I'll admit I got very excited at first, thinking about personal custom models from Vic.
But if it's just the scales it's kind of lame.  :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 02:45:10 PM
I'll admit I got very excited at first, thinking about personal custom models from Vic.

And with the exception of exotic/printed scales, you can already do that.  There are many places (largely promotional products distributors with no minimum order) that will let you order SAKs in regular red, blue, green, yellow, and of course the the transulcent scales.   And some dealers offer them in those colors as well. Except there is that problem with reversed scales, since these are intended for the "executive gifts" market, and thus are intended to have a logo/engraving on the front scale, so the cross gets moved to the back scale. That's the only upside to this.   

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 02:45:18 PM

On the one hand, I agree that different scale prints is lame. Especially since I really don't care much for the plastic scaled knives.

However, I think if there is ever to be a customize your own knife from the factory option, they have to start at this smaller level to figure out what essentially amounts to single piece batch size manufacturing and then how to market and distribute them. And do that while making a profit.

If they can't find a way to make that work, then there would be no justification to figure out how to make their knives "lego-able" to customize the tool load. So, I support this effort in the hopes that it is laying the foundation for fully custom factory knives in the future
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%