Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Microsoft Surface Tablets and Surface Books

Pacu · 11 · 804

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Microsoft Surface Tablets and Surface Books
on: August 19, 2018, 06:18:42 AM
I've been a user of Microsoft Surface tablets for as long as they came out in in 2012. Right now I use a Surface Pro 3 i5 , 4 gb ram model.  It has 6-8 hours per charge, sometimes less if i'm slinging video to my TV.  I was working at Best Buy doing remodels back then and the Surface took up a huge amount of our retail floor space as it was a premium vendor like Apple. Setting them up for customer display I got immediately enthralled with their product line. Once Windows 10 rolled out these tablets were red hot sales. 8 and 8.1 were a bit buggy on the tablets. People had a hard time overcoming the jump from Win 7 to 8.1 as it was foreign to them.

I've been eyeballing the Surface Books , they are up to version 2 with their laptop design with maybe a 3 coming out in October.  I love the SSD , the premium materials , i7 but that price tag... :o :o :o

Anyone else using a Surface tablet or book out there?
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Microsoft Surface Tablets and Surface Books
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:08 AM
I can't.say that I have. My crappy Acer $80 something 7" tablet gave up the ghost the other day. I replaced it with a Samsung Tab A 10" tablet. I know this is not exactly related but I just wanted to respond to your thread.

:nothingtoadd:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:52:41 AM
I like Samsung tablets too. I'm on a s2 right now. It's my light travel companion for out of town trips,

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 04:13:23 AM
I used a Surface Pro 1 at work for about a year.  I wasn't impressed.  Required multiple reboots at odd times, doesn't run multiple screens well for me and it really isn't very serviceable. 

We had one completely brick on us. The tech "fixed" it by punching it!  It came back on and worked.  :facepalm:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:21:34 PM
Using one right now, standard Surface 3 bought in 2016. I got it in a very good deal, and have been quite happy with it. I just cannot stand Apple iPads. My machine has a few issues:
- Occasionally loses its audio, which requires a few turning off and on to (hopefully) fix
- Occasionally freezes when turning on after being left and getting fully charged. This requires a full restart as the touch screen is no long responsive
- Often the machine gets "plugged in, not charging" when plugging in the charger while using

These above issues are more or less inconvenience for me, but not to the point I consider switching brand/ system. I like the form of the Surface with its Type cover.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 06:47:19 PM
I really dig the surface book, but like you state: Ouch that price...
Last time I bought a new laptop, I went for a fully decked out HP Envy X360, and came in at a grand less then a similarly speckced Surface book.
Ok, the pen is not as good as a SB, and it is a little heavy in tablet mode, but for the money I got a great machine with great looks.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:27:11 PM
I've always been a sucker for Microsoft products. Working at Best Buy I promoted the Zune when it launched. I still have my 30g Zune media player. It took any media thrown at it and played flawlessly. Movies, ebooks, and all the range of music files.
Best Buy gave us all 16g Ipod Touches. Itunes makes me want to throw my laptop in a ditch. I quickly got rid of the Ipod.

I think the Surface is a lot more popular than the Zune, Kin, and their phones running Windows so hopefully we will keep seeing more of them. You can get a decked out gaming laptop by Asus or Alienware i7 for way cheaper than a Surface running an i7.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:59:38 PM
Here is the Samsung Tab A (2016) along with my 4th Gen Ipad. I know this is off topic but I just wanted to say the Samsung is worlds superior to my little crappy 7" 80 dollar tablet. I was getting very frustrated at how laggy the cheap tablet was. The Samsung is very similar to the Ipad in responsiveness. Very happy with it so far.

I found a very nice case for it off of Amazon as no local shops carried a model specific case for it. I found this Unicorn Beetle case that reminds me a little of the lifeproof case I have for my cell phone. It is not water proof, but does come in with a build in screen protector. Got it to my door in 2 days which amazes me.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:26:51 PM
I use a Surface Pro 4 for work. i7, 8GB ram. It packs plenty of power for what I need to do.

When I am at my desk, I have the Surface dock and 2 monitors connected. When I am out and about, it is a lightweight highly portable bit of kit.

Whilst fine for work, I wouldn't have one as a personal device, too limited with only 1 USB port.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:04:46 AM
I've always felt like the surface devices were trying to milk some of the ipad demand which seems to have run away with the regular PC sales market.

Years back we bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro, which is more ultrabook but still has that hint of tablet functionality. I always felt the surface devices while well equipped with decent hardware suffered from being over priced.

In spite having a very flexible ultrabook, I tend to migrate to my desktop for the majority of tasks and for the minor sofa surfing I stick to a Samsung Tab S (8.4)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 01:40:00 PM
I am really liking the specs, size and form factor of the new Surface Pro myself.  I think i will look closer when it is time to replace my laptop.  I recently replaced my tablet as it was starting to have serious issues, and I got a new Samsung to replace the old Tab S I had.  The new one (I can't recall the model off the top of my head) seems like a cheap tablet.  I know that Samsung makes some good ones, but this is one the phone company offered me for a really good deal, and now I know why.  It's functional enough, but far from their flagship.

I think that when my laptop needs replacing (which hopefully will be a while yet as it is fairly new, purchased May 2017), I will look at the Surface Pro... but the price is a little off putting, especially when you then have to spend a pile more on a keyboard and pen to use it properly.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%