Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seventh Anniversary Reflections

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Seventh Anniversary Reflections
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 03:35:49 PM
Great necro Boss :cheers:

Yes I am quite fond of the orange suit as well :rofl:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 03:36:31 PM
And in honor of the suit :whistle:

New page banana man dance

:nanadance:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 05:37:59 PM
Strap yerselves in boys and girls, this is going to be a bit long winded!

Each year I reminisce and tell amusing stories that were never made public before, or may be news to the folks that have come around later on.  I started to think about what I should tell people this year, and quite frankly I couldn't think of anything intelligent that people here would want to know about, so instead I started to think of all the things that have happened over the years, that wouldn't have happened had MTO not existed.

Of course everyone would have gotten their news from other sources- Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Wenger, Victorinox, CRKT and so on would have come out with just as many models, and folks would have just read about them on Facebook, company websites, British Blades, Knifeforums, Bladeforums, EDCForums or really any one of the other bazillion forums that are out there.

So here are the less important things that would never have been had there been no MTO.

First up, I can honestly say that if it weren't for Multitool.org there wouldn't be any actual photographic evidence the French Canadians shower.  This was a world exclusive, and you saw it here!

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd also like to point out that if it weren't for Multitool.org, nothing would be Kirky's fault.  Of course, because MTO was responsible for this phenomenon, one could infer that MTO is truly to blame, but those who truly understand the zen of blaming Kirky know that it was actually his fault.  :D

At one point we were all busy clipping things into our pockets and taking pictures which resulted in the patented MTO Crotch Shot.  I'm glad to see that this practice has slowed down somewhat since I think the folks that run the internet were thinking of putting us in a whole different category of websites. 

Of course there were variations of crotch shots as well- for example our good buddy Ryan got confused and somehow managed to miss the point entirely.

That photo didn't help, and I think might have gotten us on an FBI watch list.

It wasn't all fun and games- at one point we had to give serious consideration to funding a new server, and Chrissy helped out by creating a new service.

Welcome to Nuphoria's Discount Ho Emporium!

Def

Unfortunately we ended up having to pay out so much in refunds and damage claims that we had to close the doors early on in the process.  I was actually disappointed that Bob didn't help out- having been a showgirl in Vegas I think he really could have turned things around for us.

Bob asked me to give that pic a rest, but to be honest I just have too much fun with it.  Mind you, the way he asked means I may not be around for much longer, but hey, funs fun, right? :D

We were a few years in business by the time Whoey showed up to help us out.  I have to say that while I had complete faith in him, some others were concerned about adding someone to our technical staff who doesn't know the difference between a screwdriver and a key, and who somehow managed to lock himself out of a convertible when the top was down.

We have managed to accomplish some important things in our time though- for example, in a Dateline style undercover sting operation in Portland, Bob and I uncovered evidence that retail salespeople in Maine aren't too good at geography.

Needless to say, the folks at Leatherman didn't find that one as amusing as we did... or me anyway.  You can see Bob doesn't look amused.  Here's a closeup for those trying to read teeny weeny letters on a tablet or with old eyes!

I wonder how much longer those would have continued to sell like that had MTO not existed?   >:D

Along the way I've had the chance to meet a lot of MTO members, some of which aren't around these days which is too bad because I do miss them.  Mikey for example disappeared shortly after this trip to Florida- just between you and me, even though he got caught with these in his pockets I think he had a few other things hidden away that weren't found until it was too late...

That's Johnny on the left, and he hadn't realized what Mikey was sticking in his pockets!

Also on that trip I met Andy, the guy on the right in the above photo.  For reasons of National Security I'm not allowed to discuss what Andy used to do before he retired, but I did manage to dig up this photo of him at work.

He's never admitted which one of those guys he is...

For those of you that remember the Austin Powers movies, we have our own version of that here- and no, I don't mean a lot of funny British accents!  Some of you may know this guy, even if you don't want to admit it publicly:

Dunc works for the Coast Guard and volunteers for a lifeboat group, and is hands down one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  While most of the other mods here just itch for an excuse to ban someone, Dunc is more interested in taking the offender down to the pub, getting them completely smashed, then pushing them in the water so that he can enjoy the rush of calling out his team in the middle of the night for a rescue.  Here's Dunc with his serious face on.

(Hey mate, if you didn't want someone to poke a bit of fun, don't put so many pics on Facebook!  :P)

So what does all of that have to do with Austin Powers?  Simple.  Everyone likes Dunc, but there's just not enough time for him to sit and have a pint with everyone, so we've turned to cloning.

I think it's an exceptional likeness, and this Mini Dunc lives in my kitchen, much as I imagine the real Dunc would if he were here!  :D

I really shouldn't poke too much fun at Dunc.  We've been together so long that I feel like I know him pretty well, although to be honest, I am just nice to him because I figure I may need his help someday.

In all seriousness, it's been a fantastic ride over the last seven years.  We've been through a lot- all of us, not just me.  There have been times when I have been tempted to walk away from the place and times when I thought that I'd sell the site off to the first person who made me an offer.

If it wasn't for this site and the members on it (because the site would be worthless without each and every one of you) I'd have missed out on meeting some great people, going to some great places and doing some great things.  Here are a few of the people I've met over the years:

Ernest Emerson:

Rachel from AAC:

UFC legend Randy Couture:

Abe Elias, Assistant Editor of Knives Illustrated:

Knife designer Ed Halligan:

Knife & Tool (anyone ever hear of the Skeletool!) designer Glenn Klecker:

Chris@SOG and NutnFancy:

Knife designer Brian Tighe:

SOG Big Cheese Spencer Fraser:

Wenger SA CEO Peter Hug:

Knife designer and defense instructor Mike Janich:

Benchmade owner Les DeAsis:

Knives Illustrated Editor J. Bruce Voyles:

Pock-Its President Bob Reichardt and the former Miss Nevada:

Chris Reeve (knife designer, not the Superman guy, although he was a super guy to talk to!):

Ken & Matt Griffey from Bear & Sons:

Mikey again:

Felinevet Tim:

Hawkchucker, Bob, Joe and his lovely wife Hillary:

There has even been the odd sighting of a Defalope.

There are a lot more than that, but if I'm ever going to get this post finished and posted I'd better get a move on!

And I didn't forget the man who started all of this!

I still recall the note he sent me on our second anniversary:

Dear Friends at Multitool.org-

Congratulations on your second anniversary. I can remember back to our second year here at Leatherman and it was very busy; so I’m sure you have your hands full.

Please extend a big thanks to all your contributors. All the pages of great discussion and insight are excellent. It’s so nice to read comments from people who are as passionate about the design and functionality of multi-tools as we are.

Have a great second year and here’s to many, many more for multitools and the folks who review them and hold us all to a higher standard.

Regards,

Tim

As I said, it's been a wild ride, and I for one can't wait to see what happens next.  I have some really cool plans, and I'm looking forward to hearing any ideas from the rest of you to see where we are going to go from here!

Happy Anniversary everyone!

Def
Rachel looks fantastic
Weasel

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 05:52:34 PM
I remember a lot of these photos when they were new :dd:

Been a wild ride so far Boss glad to have been a part of it over the years :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 08:12:24 PM
Rachel is a real sweetheart, and it was great to meet her, and indeed everyone else.

The Willie Nelson photo was a bit of a surprise and a funny story.  Not surprisingly as I was walking along I noticed the young ladies you see in the photo and I was honestly trying to read what was painted on their bellies.  Obviously if someone went to the effort of painting these girls up, I should at least see what the product was.  I couldn't really read it so I asked them what they were there for.  They said "We are security for Willie Nelson." 

I said "Oh really, Willie Nelson is here?"

Then one of the girls said "Yeah, he's right behind you."

I turned around and some guy was sitting with his back to me, and all I saw was a cowboy hat, and my first thought was "Willie Nelson, where?"  That's when the guy in the hat turned and stood up, and sure enough, it was Willie Nelson!  :D

I asked him if I could get a photo with him and he insisted that the girls get photographed too.  I didn't argue with him!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 11:44:19 AM
Bump for photos
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 04:18:26 PM
 :tu: what a great thread of pictures. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00