Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Descent enough LM Micra copy

MMR · 10 · 1469

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Descent enough LM Micra copy
on: August 22, 2018, 09:33:17 AM
My dad got this as a gift when he was working for a company called “ICN” ages ago.

It has been in my dads Keychain for a while, and then mine for a while and for the last few months it has been in my girlfriends keychain. It has seen occasional usage here and there, but nothing major.

There are no manufacturing marks or logos anywhere on it, it just says “STAINLESS STEEL” on one side and “ICN” on the other.

Quality wise; it actually seems decent enough. There’s no play in any of the tools, even though they are not locking tools, they open and close nice and smoothly.

Pliers are spring loaded, spring on both sides, there’s no play in them and they seem to work smoothly.

File; has both wood and metal sides, and seem to do the job for what you can expect of a small file. Not sure what the end of it is intended for, with an odd design like that though.

Apart from the file, it has a small flathead and small knife, again both has no play in them and seem to open and close smoothly enough. I don’t think the knife has ever been sharpened, but it will cut paper pretty good, however it’s not crazy sharp either.

On the other side; it has this flathead / 2D Phillips combo thing, I haven’t tried it out, but I’m sure it will do what you can expect of such a tool, meaning; nothing mind blowing but for the odd screw that’s needs tightened here and there it will do the job.

Moving on; then there’s this funky (and kind of stupid) looking can opener (pictured next to the can opener in a LM Rebar) I haven’t tried to open a can with it, as I have no can to open laying around anywhere, but as a bottle opener it was struggling a little bit, which is no different than any other can opener I have ever tried in a multitool. So nothing new there.

Lastly there’s this bottle opener / small flathead combo thing, surprisingly it didn’t perform any better than the can opener when it comes to opening bottles. They were both struggling in the same way, but in both cases I think it’s down to their kind of crude and not exactly precision machining, used in the way they were manufactured.

But overall, for a knockoff which the company that manufactured it was too ashamed to put their name on, its actually alright. I have actually seen worse from name brand tools.

So yeah, not too bad.

Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: Descent enough LM Micra copy
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:30:36 PM
Really.....No comments?

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:06:19 PM
Give it time, some sub-forums are not very active.  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:17:19 PM
Seems pretty good for noname tool.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 02:23:25 PM
If the tool works and serves you well then  :salute:.  Certainly doesn't have to be name brand or any name for that matter.  Is the tool about the same size as a Micra? 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:57:20 PM
Thanks for the review  :salute:   :tu: 

I've seen a few of these tools around (mostly on evilbay), with various brand names on them, they are pretty common (the pliers are a bit different looking to most small MTs, so easy to recognise them). 

Given the main tool is pliers not scissors I wouldn't class them as a Micra copy.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:33:12 PM
I stopped carrying this because I don’t like the pliers design, they are not pointy enough to work as needle nose and they are too small and narrow to work as any gripping pliers.

Plus also because of their design, they can’t grip on hard to something on to something small, like if you are fishing and working with fishing line.

It’s hard to explain, it has to be experienced.

I think it’s for the same reason that the Micra has a scissor instead.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 01:40:09 AM
Interesting, kind of a cross between a Micra and a Squirt.  I prefer the can opener to the tweezers on the Micra.
Do you have a Squirt P4/PS4 or Style PS to do a plier head comparison?
- Steve

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 07:46:10 AM
Interesting, kind of a cross between a Micra and a Squirt.  I prefer the can opener to the tweezers on the Micra.
Do you have a Squirt P4/PS4 or Style PS to do a plier head comparison?

I don’t I’m afraid....

......yet

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 11:44:19 PM
I see these around here with a variety of imprints, either Coast or some house brand for Walmart and some of the larger sporting goods chains, being sold as a fisherman's aid. Usually on a retractor that can be clipped to a fly fishing vest. I haven't seen on yet at my usual vendor, but then again, I rescue tools being held hostage by the TSA usually. So either (a) fishermen don't put their fly fishing stuff in carry on luggage, or (b) the TSA doesn't consider the blade to be bladey enough to be a weapon. Knowing that even if you can get refused by every other US law enforcement agency you can still get hired at the TSA, I'm going with option (a).
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%