Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheffield 58953 Electrician's multi tool

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Sheffield 58953 Electrician's multi tool
on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:12 AM

These are going for $10 on Amazon right now. Linky here: https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-58953-Electricians-Multi-Tool-Pouch/dp/B007MCRIC2

This tool is BIG. It's massive to hold in my hands. The handles are thick and big, and there's a lot of handle splay. It's not actually a large tool, it's just very thick, and that makes it not so great to hold. (I'm a size Large glove if that matters).

The wire cutters and strippers are excellent. They work as advertised, cutting and stripping everything I've thrown at it. Even bare stranded 18ga wire is easily cut by the bypass cutters. The pivot is a screw that can be tightened, so that is hugely useful! The tips of the strippers are a small pair of pliers, but they're unfortunately not very precise. They cannot pull out arm hairs or hold small items, like holding an LED or other electronic part by the leads. But that's a small price to pay for excellent wire strippers and an excellent cutter. The jaws are spring-loaded, and the handles also pop open on a big backspring. So it's nice to open and close.

The tool load is not bad. Unfortuantely none of the tools lock, but the selection is decent. The file is very good, quite aggressive, and makes short work of mild steel. The flat bladed screwdrivers are decent. They're not rounded or overly polished. I'd want the small driver to be a bit thinner at the tip, but otherwise they're fine. The main blade is DULL. It looks like it's sharpened to 45 degrees, and only on one side. It can't even cut paper. It's absolutely awful.  The sheepsfoot faired a little better, and is able to cut paper. The drywall saw works well, and the phillips driver is well-formed and does not cam out at all. I am, however, completely stumped as to what the hook/spudger thing is for. It's very thin spring steel, and I don't see a use for it.

Anyhow, for $10, this is a neat tool to have for electronics work. I don't know about you, but I can never, ever have enough wire strippers. This is nice because I can cut insulation from coax with the sheepsfoot blade, and then strip the center portion easily. Or do any kind of home or electronics wiring work.

This isn't a professional grade tool. It's not an everyday carry tool. It's a $10 beater with above-average (for cheapie MTs) tool quality (just sharpen those blades) and an excellent wire stripping and cutting head. For $10 it's absolutely a steal.

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Sheffield 58953 Electrician's multi tool
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:17:06 PM
The hook is used for pulling wires. As for the tips of the pliers, they are not designed to pull hairs or anything like that. I once asked an electrician friend of mine, and he told me they are perfect for pushing and removing metal covers on electrical sockets and boxes, and stuff like that..

Yes, these look exactly like the Mastercraft model that Canadian Tire sells...I must say, the green is rather fetching over the dark blue and yellow.   :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:06:09 AM
    I own this tool ,and it is one of only a few multitools I have under the Sheffield brand that is of any decent quality.  I also have another multi that looks just like this, but is a different brand, and all of the tools lock. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name. If I can find it I will post a pic.   

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 01:22:46 AM
There is a version of this that have shears instead of wire cutters. That version has locking levers to lock the shears open.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24