Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Scissors

aolmos · 38 · 2739

bo Offline aolmos

Wave Scissors
on: August 22, 2018, 04:30:51 PM
After a couple of weeks from getting my wave i was cutting some coconut palms with the scissors everything was going fine until stop cutting, i thougth it was just to thick then i want to close de scissors but i couldnt the scissors doesnt close because some dents apear in the blade, i went to the welding workshop at work and with a big metal file down until close, after that the scissor doesnt cut very well.

How can i sharpen or correct  the scissors?  any advice?

Sorry if my writing its bad corrections are welcome
IMG_1862.jpg
* IMG_1862.jpg (Filesize: 217.04 KB)
IMG_2163.jpg
* IMG_2163.jpg (Filesize: 178.95 KB)
IMG_2164.jpg
* IMG_2164.jpg (Filesize: 191.64 KB)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:45:53 PM by aolmos »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wave Scissors
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:52:22 PM
Scissors aren't the easiest to sharpen.  Using a small file, follow the bevel as closely as you can on both cutting surfaces of the scissors.  You'll also have to lightly de-burr the opposite sides of where you filed, the flat sides of the scissors.   Go slow and check the cutting ability on paper till you are happy.  I hope that made sense.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:53:03 PM
Scissors can be tricky to sharpen and I'm no expert.

The inner face of the blades has to be flat. In general, there should not be any play or wiggle between the blades. My WAVE does have a slight amount of play, but it still cuts well. But too much play can lead to the material being cut just folding up in the jaws of the scissors.

When resharpening, I try to just sharpen the angled part of the edge. If the inner face needs to be cleaned up because of a rolled edge or burr, I try to remove that with a flat stone, very carefully.

If your WAVE's scissors are loose, with a lot of play between the blades, they may not cut well. You could try to peen the rivet that used to form the pivot. Be sure to support the entire length of the lower blade so it doesn't get bent during peening. You might use a metal punch to keep the peening very precise and avoid hitting the upper blade.

Or you contact Leatherman and see about getting your WAVE repaired!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:54:06 PM by Nix »

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:14:33 PM
Scissors aren't the easiest to sharpen.  Using a small file, follow the bevel as closely as you can on both cutting surfaces of the scissors.  You'll also have to lightly de-burr the opposite sides of where you filed, the flat sides of the scissors.   Go slow and check the cutting ability on paper till you are happy.  I hope that made sense.

Thick materials cut very well but when some thin or like ruber doesnt, or some fabric have to cut many times but finally it will do it.

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 05:29:20 PM
Scissors can be tricky to sharpen and I'm no expert.

The inner face of the blades has to be flat. In general, there should not be any play or wiggle between the blades. My WAVE does have a slight amount of play, but it still cuts well. But too much play can lead to the material being cut just folding up in the jaws of the scissors.

When resharpening, I try to just sharpen the angled part of the edge. If the inner face needs to be cleaned up because of a rolled edge or burr, I try to remove that with a flat stone, very carefully.

If your WAVE's scissors are loose, with a lot of play between the blades, they may not cut well. You could try to peen the rivet that used to form the pivot. Be sure to support the entire length of the lower blade so it doesn't get bent during peening. You might use a metal punch to keep the peening very precise and avoid hitting the upper blade.

Or you contact Leatherman and see about getting your WAVE repaired!

I dont remember if wiggle betwen the baldes exist before this issue but now it does just a little, ill try to sharpen with a fine stone or very small file.

I also saw on the internet cutting aluminum foil will do it or with paper clip not cutting but try to.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 06:20:39 PM
Dont file that other side, only if it absolute necessary. Filing scissor isnt easy and most of people will fail it so that scissors are useless after sharpening

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:44:28 PM
Yes, like Antti says.. Never file that face, it will just create a gap between the scissors and they'll never work again properly!
Just file the edges lightly until they cut like Nix and Aloha have said then lightly remove any burrs with a stone or such-like...

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 07:47:35 PM
Dont file that other side, only if it absolute necessary. Filing scissor isnt easy and most of people will fail it so that scissors are useless after sharpening(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters

I had to file the inner side cause a Rolled edge doesnt let the scissors close.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:47:53 PM
Dont file that other side, only if it absolute necessary. Filing scissor isnt easy and most of people will fail it so that scissors are useless after sharpening(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters

:salute:
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 08:01:43 PM

Only Tools Matters

I had to file the inner side cause a Rolled edge doesnt let the scissors close.
File it only lightly, if you file it too much there will be gap and you can say bye bye for scissors. If that happens you could send it warranty (not sure will that kinda go through warranty) or change yourself scissors.

Only tools matters

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:58 PM
 :iagree:

Its a tricky process, so take your time.

Good luck, sir  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 09:56:35 PM
Some good advice is already been given :tu: so all I will say is good luck in getting them back in order :salute:

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 09:57:14 PM
I have at work some files that my chainsaw operator uses to sharpen the chain do you thing some of this will help me? maybe the flat file? or i need a smaller file

IMG_2168.jpg
* IMG_2168.jpg (Filesize: 244.65 KB)
IMG_2171.jpg
* IMG_2171.jpg (Filesize: 192.33 KB)
IMG_2172.jpg
* IMG_2172.jpg (Filesize: 231.17 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 10:00:54 PM
I would only use the flat file  :salute: it would be best to use a sharpening stone or small flat diamond card :cheers:

Guess I still had to put my input in ::) :D

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 10:03:28 PM
I would only use the flat file  :salute: it would be best to use a sharpening stone or small flat diamond card :cheers:

Guess I still had to put my input in ::) :D

A sharpening stone will be, better wait till weekend to buy one and have patience.

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:06:20 PM
Thanks everyone with the help i hope i can fix this  i love my wave just make me sad about the scissors i know i know my fault. :facepalm:

I also hear  the scissors can cut a medium size zip tie is that right?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:08:45 PM by aolmos »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 10:11:56 PM
It is possible, but I'm cautious with zip ties. Some can be hard and dent the edges of scissors. If you do cut a zip tie, be sure the blades are starting the cut at the corners of the zip tie.  :tu:

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:46 PM
It is possible, but I'm cautious with zip ties. Some can be hard and dent the edges of scissors. If you do cut a zip tie, be sure the blades are starting the cut at the corners of the zip tie.  :tu:

better with the knife so no risk will taken

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 10:19:07 PM
 :iagree:  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 10:22:45 PM

If you can access the zip tie with the wire cutter they work well too.  I sniped a bunch with my LM Squirt P4 wire cutters. 
Esse Quam Videri

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:42 PM

If you can access the zip tie with the wire cutter they work well too.  I sniped a bunch with my LM Squirt P4 wire cutters.

You are right that will work too  :2tu: ill keep in my mind

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 11:03:29 PM
I use a sharp knife to get it perfectly flush the first time. Works well :tu:

bo Offline aolmos

Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 11:07:14 PM
I use a sharp knife to get it perfectly flush the first time. Works well :tu:

I agree but sometimes due the space  it is better with the scissors or like Aloha007 said with the wire cuters

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:21 PM
If you can used the wire cutters, they are great!

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:38 PM
Very true :tu:

And the wire cutters are the fastest option

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 06:05:06 AM

I have at work some files that my chainsaw operator uses to sharpen the chain do you thing some of this will help me? maybe the flat file? or i need a smaller file

Id say use diamond file or stone cause those files are too rough for scissors. I prefer diamond file for sharpening scissors

Thanks everyone with the help i hope i can fix this  i love my wave just make me sad about the scissors i know i know my fault. :facepalm:

I also hear  the scissors can cut a medium size zip tie is that right?

Yea it can cut medium zip tie but like said start at right point when cutting zip or it will go between scissors, its prolly easier to use cutters to it.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 03:49:56 PM
When deburring your scissors, do not file or stone against the flat edge, only run it along the edge length of the blade. 

The WAve's scissors are IMO intended for paper, cloth, threads and other thinner materials.   Cutting heavier or thicker materials is likely not the best practice. 

The Surge's scissors are much larger and able to much easier.

Then I am old school and try to use dedicated tools for intended purposes, and my MTs for convenience.

Zip ties I try to use my diagonal cutters, or straight edge blade.  You could also saw thru with serrated blade.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 03:54:44 PM
I found myself not using my Wave scissors so I replaced them with an awl.  I did put Vic scissors in place of my serrated blade.  I really like the wire cutters and the serrated blade does make sense too for zip ties.  My little Squirt wire cutters ate thru a bunch of good sized zip ties very easily.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline 84fxr100

• New User
Reply #28 on: August 25, 2018, 04:45:04 PM
OK, Fellas....
I am new to this forum and this is my first post....
I have recently acquired, on eBay, several Waves and Rebars and definitely prefer the Wave over the Rebar.  I find that the scissors are too fine and delicate for much of anything more substantial than nose hairs or trimming an errant facial hair.   I Ride old Harleys, anything pre-Twinkie, and do find the other tools on the Wave to be adequate for quick emergency repairs, but the scissors are truly to be used only for small stuff.   I have seen videos where the more substantial pair from the Wingman make a good upgrade.   How about trying that if one is fixed on using scissors on a regular basis?.....RooDog

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 25, 2018, 10:29:42 PM
 :iagree: and welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30